advertisement

Flat earth systems that really worked well

Charlie_1

pfm Member
On the old Linn forum, I recall a Linn employee stating that the Majik 109 speaker was signed off with a Majik 6100 amp in aktiv configuration. This suggests the 109s was voiced for Majik amps and perhaps more so in active mode.

The Rega One system was easily one of the most enjoyable systems for me at Bristol Show early this year. Their new amp was obviously voiced for the P1 and Kyte speakers and they did a great job.

I'm increasingly keen on systems from a single point in time comprising products that were developed and voiced for one another.

What flat earth systems have folks heard over the decades that worked really well as a whole?

Probably my favourite of my journey (I got up to chrome-bumper 135s and Isobariks) was a really simple LP12/Zeta, Nait 2 and Kan IIs. I was using an external phono stage and MC cart, but I suspect I’d have been perfectly happy with a really good MM (as I am today). It ended up this way as I was on the way down before migrating to other things, so I had the phono stage (Tom Evans) and cart (Ortofon MC25FL) before the Nait 2 arrived. That system just worked, great fun and surprisingly punchy and full-sounding. Everything one wants a good old-school Linn/Naim system to be. A seriously good system for typical small London flats etc.

Thanks for the posts everyone - please keep ‘em coming.

What about Rega, Exposure, Creek and others?

Any more modern systems from the flat earther brands that work particularly well as a complete system?

Thanks for the posts everyone - please keep ‘em coming.

What about Rega, Exposure, Creek and others?

Any more modern systems from the flat earther brands that work particularly well as a complete system?

Will a Naim Atom into MkI Kans do? It does for me although some Tannoys are in view..

Hm, not sure about the voicing thing at all, in terms of ancillaries. Of course, single manufacturers will naturally use their amps when designing their speakers. It's not really a voicing thing though, just the fact that they'll use what they have that they rate. The same goes for manufacturers that don't make other items. Castle used a Krell KSA50 in their demo room years back. They didn't voice their speakers for it per se, but they did feel it was a great amp that got out of the way so didn't add much colour of it's own when they voiced their speakers.

As for the thing about Rega working with Naim, or Exposure working with Epos, for example, as far as I'm concerned a pair of Epos 11 will work well on any good amp. There are definitely times when you hear something and the magic happens but that's probably the room as much as anything.

Contrary to the propaganda from Linn in the 80s and 90s, I think that there are cost tiers of flat earth systems that work well together.

LP12 / LVX+ / K9 / Naim 42.5 / 110 / Linn Index 2
LP12 / Ittok / K18 / Armageddon / 72 / HiCap / 180 / Linn Keilidh
LP12 / Ekos / Akiva / Armageddon / 82 / Avondale TPX2 / Naim 2-4 / TPX2 / A260Z / SL2

I don't hold with this idea of feeding LP12 / Ekos / Akiva into a NAD 3020 and Mission 700s. An Ekos or an Ittok produce too much bass, it sounds awful and flabby as the cones try to reproduce what they weren't designed for and the amp hasn't got enough grunt to rein things in.

Unfortunately once you introduce a component from a higher tier into a lower tier system you start getting problems that will persist until you climb all the way onto the next tier.

All in my humble experience of course :)

Planar 3, A&R P77(?) , A&R a60, Heybrook HB2 - Well matched very listenable
LP12 Cirkus, Aro, Armageddon, 42.5 (highly modded with local regs), NAXO, 4x 135's ,Kan II - pretty awesome in a small room.

I don't hold with this idea of feeding LP12 / Ekos / Akiva into a NAD 3020 and Mission 700s. An Ekos or an Ittok produce too much bass, it sounds awful and flabby as the cones try to reproduce what they weren't designed for and the amp hasn't got enough grunt to rein things in.
The NAD has about three times the power of a NAIT, tone controls to tame bass from the source and shrillness of the speakers, will not fall apart if presented with a 2 ohm load (stuff two sets of cables into its outputs and run doubled 700s), its LED peak meter will tell you how much power you are using, all for well under £100 in 1978, and you could sell it today for silly money. :)

advertisement

Back