advertisement

Yamaha Pro power amps?

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
Evening all,
I want to replace the Lyndorf power amp driving my newly out of storage Magneplanar. 6QRs because I'd like to integrate my REL sub into the set up.
Budget is limited because I'm still working on my wreck of a home and will be for a year or two yet.
I've seen quite a few Yamaha P1500 (and other brands) pro amps on Ebay. I like the aesthetic and the cost...... But how about the sound? Any experience here? Any other suggestions for sub three hundred quid power amps?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

There’s a Beringer PA for around £150 that’s supposed to be the dogs.
Thanks, TT. I'll take a look. Was just hoping that the macho looking Yamaha would be a hidden jem. Can't have class D as I want to run the REL via its high level input.

Hi Darren, I love Yamaha stuff, check out eBay mate I’m sure I spotted a pro power amp there recently for relative buttons think it might have been a Japanese seller

Hi Darren, I love Yamaha stuff, check out eBay mate I’m sure I spotted a pro power amp there recently for relative buttons think it might have been a Japanese seller
Cheers TT..... I'm on it like a bad rash :)

Thanks, TT. I'll take a look. Was just hoping that the macho looking Yamaha would be a hidden jem. Can't have class D as I want to run the REL via its high level input.
I've got a Behringer a500 for sale - has been sitting in my rack powering nearfields for the last few years. Boxed and posted to you for £100

There’s a Beringer PA for around £150 that’s supposed to be the dogs.

If it's the A500 you're thinking of then I'm afraid it's "a dog" and not "the dog's..."

I don't know about the P-1500 types, but the older Yamaha PC-x002M amplifiers are magnificent and are largely based around the same circuitry as the company's contemporary domestic designs. I have a PC-5002M and its 61kg, 750W per channel and 2 mains leads might be a tad overkill for domestic use but, my god, it's impressive. I've never heard such tight, controlled bass come out of Goodmans Maxim 2s before!

Can’t recall the exact model number to be honest but I sold a pair of Dynaudio floorstanders to an AOS member in Dundee and he was using the amp to drive a pair of linn isobarics and they sounded amazing the source was his laptop

If it's the A500 you're thinking of then I'm afraid it's "a dog" and not "the dog's..."

I don't know about the P-1500 types, but the older Yamaha PC-x002M amplifiers are magnificent and are largely based around the same circuitry as the company's contemporary domestic designs. I have a PC-5002M and its 61kg, 750W per channel and 2 mains leads might be a tad overkill for domestic use but, my god, it's impressive. I've never heard such tight, controlled bass come out of Goodmans Maxim 2s before!

Yes indeedy! Bloody awful things. I found they measured quite badly and in ways that changed with the vol control setting. Sounded awful too.

Thanks for taking an interest BB. I'm warming to the Yamaha vibe!

I've got a Behringer a500 for sale - has been sitting in my rack powering nearfields for the last few years. Boxed and posted to you for £100
Sorry Mike. Not what I'm after but thank you for your very kind offer.

I’ve seen some of the Yamaha rack amp stuff on monitor duty in studios before now so it has to be pretty decent. As stated in other threads I have nothing but respect for the brand, any company that can make CS80s, DX7s, SG2000s, SC1200s, grand pianos, classical guitars and NS1000s knows what it is doing. I can’t imagine any of their amps being bad.

I’ve seen some of the Yamaha rack amp stuff on monitor duty in studios before now so it has to be pretty decent. As stated in other threads I have nothing but respect for the brand, any company that can make CS80s, DX7s, SG2000s, SC1200s, grand pianos, classical guitars and NS1000s knows what it is doing. I can’t imagine any of their amps being bad.
Can't argue with that. Thanks, Tony.

Yes indeedy! Bloody awful things. I found they measured quite badly and in ways that changed with the vol control setting. Sounded awful too.
the volume control shouldnt be used. design floor there. done a number of records through it though and when used with an external pre amp or desk its pretty good.

advertisement

Back