advertisement

Tiger Paw Tranquility

Vinny, the spin down time from 33.3 with the belt off is increased with a tranquility, certain was on my lp12 bearinged Kuzma and also on the loaner lp12 I had in at the time. Cant remember the times, but it was a chunk of change, c20% longer.

Vinny, the spin down time from 33.3 with the belt off is increased with a tranquility, certain was on my lp12 bearinged Kuzma and also on the loaner lp12 I had in at the time. Cant remember the times, but it was a chunk of change, c20% longer.

That is totally unexpected (by me) - that is saying that the eddy currents (at one time used for braking train wheels, if not currently so) from the magnetic fields are out-weighed by the effect of reduced friction. Interesting... The maths behind that are beyond me, probably would have been over 40 years ago too, when I was taking A level physics. Then again, the friction has naff all directly to do with anything to do with the magnets.

I picked one up last week but one of my speakers died so have not been able to test it in my usual rig. Sounding superb with my ‘spare’ ES14’s though. I’m also on a (just) pre Cirkus bearing.

Vinny I guess it depends on the magnet arrangement. If you use two ring magnets the effect was even more pronounced. Thatll be why generators use coils...

So, what's the verdict then? I had half a mind to get one myself, especially after reading @hifiaf 's review here.

I should say that I have after reading reports like that of @matfff I ordered a Karousel of my own. It will be here shortly. I have a few little projects to wrap up first, but a Karousel vs. Cirkus+Tranquility shootout is coming up in the next month or so...

That would be very interesting. That well known chap in Leicester currently has a number of s/h Cirkus bearings at modest prices, and as I have a pre-Cirkus + Tranquility setup...........

That would be very interesting. That well known chap in Leicester currently has a number of s/h Cirkus bearings at modest prices, and as I have a pre-Cirkus + Tranquility setup...........
Nearly new Cirkus and tranquility is a lovely setup, was really happy with mine. Was fully expecting to fit the Karousel (was in the middle of a refurb, so was the time to do it), listen for a bit and go ‘nah, can’t hear owt different’ and move the Karousel on. Problem is, the bloody Karousel was shockingly better. Still don’t fully understand why (it’s just a bloody bearing), but it’s been some months now and it just keeps getting better and better. Talk about rediscovering your record collection.

Nearly new Cirkus and tranquility is a lovely setup, was really happy with mine. Was fully expecting to fit the Karousel (was in the middle of a refurb, so was the time to do it), listen for a bit and go ‘nah, can’t hear owt different’ and move the Karousel on. Problem is, the bloody Karousel was shockingly better. Still don’t fully understand why (it’s just a bloody bearing), but it’s been some months now and it just keeps getting better and better. Talk about rediscovering your record collection.

That's good to hear, I have a Cirkus + Tranquility but have a Karousel on order - like you I am very pleased with the current set up so excited to hear the improvement it will bring.

That's good to hear, I have a Cirkus + Tranquility but have a Karousel on order - like you I am very pleased with the current set up so excited to hear the improvement it will bring.
Will be good to hear your thoughts. Make sure you’ve got access to a decent torque wrench! My instructions stated 3.5Nm....had to borrow the Mrs bike tools to go that low...what happened to ‘Linn tight’?!

advertisement

Back