advertisement

2020 New Album Recommendations

Matt Berninger's album is playing it a lot here, it's a slow burner for sure but I'm liking it. The 2x marble blue vinyl version I pre ordered at RRP is already at silly money, which is a bonus.

+1 for the Matt Berninger album, had several plays over the last week, well crafted songs & excellent production by Booker T.
The new Loma album "Don't Shy Away" has already had several plays, excellent follow up to there underappreciated self titled 1st album. Saw them live in Coventry a couple of years ago, they put on an excellent show despite there being only about 12 of us in attendance. There music definitely deserves a wider audience.
TS

Mark Lanegan - Straight Songs of Sorrow.

It's been about 10 years since I last listened to anything by him (Gutter Twins), but this might be his best album yet.

Andy Bell - The View From Halfway Down (Andy Bell from Ride's first solo project under his own name)
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders (gorgeous chilled harp led music)
Paradise Cinema - Paradise Cinema (Jack Wylie from Portico Quartet, alog with two Senegalese percussionists - one for the Jon Hassell fans)
Craven Faults - Live Works (extended live reworks from his last album - modular synths a gogo)
GLOK - Dissident Remixed (Andy Bell's krauty electronica project - the original album, Dissident, is ecxellent too, but came out last year)
The Necks - Three (They still sound like no one else)
Erland Cooper - Hether Blether (the final part of his Orkney triptych)
Juliana Barwick - Healing Is A Miracle (lush, almost new agey electroinca)
Teleplasmiste - To Kiss Earth Goodbye (one for fans of The Utopia Strong - krauty, modular gubbins)

I've been buying more EPs than albums this year, so not as many suggestions from me.

I'm the same, 10-15 still unopened, haven't even turned the Hi-Fi on in about 2 months.

I always open new records when they arrive.

I would expect if I purchased 15 albums, then maybe 3 to 5 might have issues that would prompt a return (in hope of a better copy)

Some places have a time limit on returns... just sayin’

Mark Lanegan - Straight Songs of Sorrow.

It's been about 10 years since I last listened to anything by him (Gutter Twins), but this might be his best album yet.

it’s a great album, have you listened to “Somebody’s Knocking” it’s the previous album and credited to the Mark Lanegan Band?

it’s a great album, have you listened to “Somebody’s Knocking” it’s the previous album and credited to the Mark Lanegan Band?

I haven't. The last Lanegan album I listened to was the Gutter Twin's Saturnalia, which I like a lot. I look into "Somebody's Knocking." Thanks.

I haven't. The last Lanegan album I listened to was the Gutter Twin's Saturnalia, which I like a lot. I look into "Somebody's Knocking." Thanks.

To be honest in my very humble opinion his albums just get better and better, the last four albums are Phantom Radio, Gargoyle, Somebody's Knocking and Straight Songs Of Sorrow

I can't think of another artist with a run of albums as consistently good as this

I always open new records when they arrive.

I would expect if I purchased 15 albums, then maybe 3 to 5 might have issues that would prompt a return (in hope of a better copy)

Some places have a time limit on returns... just sayin’

I seem to be lucky, I never have any problems with new albums. Not returned one yet.

It would be a shame if this thread died, it's lead to some great discoveries.
I'm listening to the Jarvis reissue, love the chorus to Running the World!

Have been listening to the Bluenote Reimagined album a lot and also the self titled Keleketla album, a collaboration between Coldcut and some South African Musicians, there's some great tunes on there.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back