advertisement

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Audio product which really floats your boat !

and....

116252706_1975402162596491_501034384722486870_o.jpg

1503599847retouched017.jpg

I’ve never understood that argument. I’ve always felt ESLs (any version) were genuinely neutral and will play anything. They aren’t a high-volume speaker, but neither is any typical two-way with an 8” or smaller bass-mid.

Having listened to this exact system, the problem is not the ESL but the whole system just sounded wrong with anything other than classical or jazz. It is a system of it's time, the 1950s/60s, that was not designed for other types of music .

Michell Gyrodec SE - a nailed on classic that I never tire of looking at.

gyro_se_gallery_-_2-640w_677x@2x.progressive.jpg

One day, funds permitting, I plan to buy one of those, essentially as a piece of useable sculpture. I have a few albums on vinyl, though only a few, but I just want one regardless.

For me, I have a soft spot for exposed valve equipment. I just enjoy the steampunk/60s sci-fi kind of feel. So while an Audio Note Jinro or better probably isn’t in my future (on money grounds), I love stuff like the Jadis amps, or my own current Primaluna.

Both of these would be better with the black models, but they’re nice photos.

d3e59d13136d15bdecdb639318b521a6.jpeg

Primaluna movements in the dark-ish:

027-PrimaLuna%20DiaLogue%20Premium%20HP%20Integrated%20Amplifier%20Silver-high%20res.jpg

....I find my tastes are turning towards industrial/mid-century.

Wow, it would be great if you could list those components. I can't imagine it having a very high WAF (Wife acceptance factor), but it certainly is different!

Can't figure out how to post images here but for anyone who was into Hifi in the 70's you'll hopefully know what I'm talking about!

Michell Hydraulic Reference turntable.
Lecson AC1 and AP3 pre and power amplifiers.
Gale 401 speakers (chrome end caps of course)

This was my ultimate fantasy designer system. God knows what it would have sounded like though!

Can't figure out how to post images here but for anyone who was into Hifi in the 70's you'll hopefully know what I'm talking about!

Michell Hydraulic Reference turntable.
Lecson AC1 and AP3 pre and power amplifiers.
Gale 401 speakers (chrome end caps of course)

This was my ultimate fantasy designer system. God knows what it would have sounded like though!

Some links to pictures here!

I’ve never understood that argument. I’ve always felt ESLs (any version) were genuinely neutral and will play anything. They aren’t a high-volume speaker, but neither is any typical two-way with an 8” or smaller bass-mid.

I have to agree with you Tony. I listen to a wide range of music, early music through to prog rock with a bit of metal thrown in for good measure. The ESL 57s coped very well so long as you don't want to deafen yourself.

The only problem is that they aren't the most practical speaker in terms of placement. That is why after a dozen happy years I had to give up on them. The rooms I had to use weren't practical to live in with the Quads.

I have to agree with you Tony. I listen to a wide range of music, early music through to prog rock with a bit of metal thrown in for good measure. The ESL 57s coped very well so long as you don't want to deafen yourself.

The only problem is that they aren't the most practical speaker in terms of placement. That is why after a dozen happy years I had to give up on them. The rooms I had to use weren't practical to live in with the Quads.

The problem is the source not the speaker. Radio 3 on this setup is magnificent!

The problem is the source not the speaker. Radio 3 on this setup is magnificent!

Ah, that is fair enough! Rock/pop radio is just horrible sounding IMO. Peel sessions always used to sound good, but I just remember hearing compressors ducking away on everything else on R1. I’ve not listened to pop/rock radio for at least 30 years now so I’ve no idea what it’s like, but I imagine even worse than it was!

Ah, that is fair enough! Rock/pop radio is just horrible sounding IMO. Peel sessions always used to sound good, but I just remember hearing compressors ducking away on everything else on R1. I’ve not listened to pop/rock radio for at least 30 years now so I’ve no idea what it’s like, but I imagine even worse than it was!
I do remember quite vividly a change in the sound of Radio 1 in the mid 90s even on a pocket money system. The jingle for Collins and Maconie's Hit Parade went from having real dynamics one week to being overcompressed the next (and then on).

Oswalds Mill Audio out of Brooklyn. Very expensive, hand crafted stuff. Cool mid century, industrial aesthetics. It would take a certain loftlike space to showcase the gear. Jonathan Weiss, the owner, strikes me as a consummate salesman but I've never heard any of his products so I owe him at least the benefit of the doubt.

Imperia_walnut_setup.jpg

The-Hollander-2.jpg

SP10-R_plinth-9833-black.jpg

oma-equipment-rack.jpg

Oswalds Mill Audio out of Brooklyn. Very expensive, hand crafted stuff. Cool mid century, industrial aesthetics. It would take a certain loftlike space to showcase the gear. Jonathan Weiss, the owner, strikes me as a consummate salesman but I've never heard any of his products so I owe him at least the benefit of the doubt.

Imperia_walnut_setup.jpg

The-Hollander-2.jpg

SP10-R_plinth-9833-black.jpg

oma-equipment-rack.jpg
My lottery win hifi destination. I'll let you know if Jonathan is the real deal. :)

advertisement

Back