advertisement

NAT-101 Interconnects

skyebridge

I have a NAT-101 that has not been used for years because the accompanying SNAPS developed a fault.

In the meantime, I've forgotten what cables interconnect the 101 to a power supply, pre-amp and power amp. I'm not finding great enlightenment in available Manuals, which seem to haveforgotten about this very fine Tuner.

I'm also wondering if any of Naim's newer technology (e.g. Flatcap or Flatcap XS) can simplify or substitute for the traditional interconnect 'chain'?

Skyebridge

A 4 pin SNAIC powers it from the SNAPS and you then need to 4 pin to 5 pin 180 interconnect from there to get audio into your pre-amp.
Modern Hicaps don't have the 4 pin powered socket to drive these. Nor do the Flatcaps, but to be honest I'd swap out the 4 pin on the tuner to a 5 pin 240 and isolate the audio output circuitry from the RF side. It's extremely simple to do and means you can use a Hicap or modern equivalent - you'd need to dual rail the SNAPS, but that's very easily done too.
Note: The RF section needs exactly 24.55v as that's what the tuner VCO is calibrated to.

MJS:

That's kind of you to refresh on the NAT-101 interconnects. I did once have a NAT-101 that had been modified for HiCap working by a Naim employee, but I was silly enough to sell it.

I don't have a clear recollection as to how much the RF separation and larger power supply improve the NAT-101. But I did at one stage have both a NAT-01 and a NAT-101, both in fine shape, and (in the UK) could not detect much superiority from the -01, except at the margin of stereo signal strength.

I wonder if other people have other/similar/different recollections of the NAT-101?

Thanks again,

Skyebridge

There was a lot variability between tuners with the RF gain on the tuner head so some were a little better than others. There's a reason they specified Galaxie antennas.

I have now got a working Snaps and connected the Nat-101 via that to an upgraded Nac-72, which is running my main system at the moment.

I can't get any dial illumination from the Nat-101, but otherwise it is astounding me!

My main system includes a Nat-05XS and (recent) FlatCap XS to support. From the Nac-72 these go to a Pardo dual hi-cap, then Chord power amps ultimately driving 3-way Ruark Solstice.

Hence, switching from Nat-05XS to Nat-101 is replacing one 5-pin Din interconnect for another exactly the same.

Although I can't see anything on the Nat-101, it gives a little 'tug' as it locks on to my local Radio-3 FM station. Comparatively, the stereo pull in and bandwith is better than the Nat-05XS.

Subjectively, the sound is similarly high quality in both cases, but just a fraction clearer and more expansive with the Nat-101.

Thanks again to MJS for refreshing my memory on interconnects.

BTW, without wishing to spread what may be unreliable news, I was told last week that Flashback might have stopped taking fresh cable orders for the time being. They have always been a terrific firm to deal with, so I hope any service glitch may just be short-term.

Skyebridge

The dial bulb always dies in the end. I reverted to fitting a series of LEDs behind the dial.
This is a little gem of a tuner. The sound quality exceeds its specifications.
If you dual-rail and give it a service it should walk all over the 05-xs.

There was a lot variability between tuners with the RF gain on the tuner head so some were a little better than others. There's a reason they specified Galaxie antennas.
What reason is that? I thought the Ron Smith would be better?

The Ron Smith Galaxies had huge gain and directionality and were a good match for a tuner that really needed more than a millivolt of signal to perform at its best.

advertisement

Back