advertisement

Weiss dac 501/502

chris peacock

Morning all, looking for comments on these DACs. They seem to be packed with features including dsp but are not talked about that much.

A mate of mine, ( now only occasionally posts here) has one.
I think it’s excellent. Bloody expensive mind you.
Sonically it doesn’t to my ears have any weaknesses. He uses the DSP features & has set up 3 presets which he toggles between to suit his mood & the music. The “vinyl emulator” or whatever it’s called is a bit of a rubbish Gimmick, but other than that, it’s superb if you’re in the market at that price.

Tried one here nothing wrong with it, Weiss equipment measures superbly, as has been stated just expensive when ( nearly) all of its features are available in much more economically priced equipment.
Keith

Has anyone tried it with and without preamp?

I use a 202 (which IIRC I got from Keith at Purite see above) with an integrated amp but have tried the pre-amp function (my amp has no remote) and hear no issues. The quality of the unit is superb, I've also seen and heard the 501 referred to above. I would agree that they are expensive these days - mine was nowhere near what they cost now and if in the market now I might not go that far. Having said that, I've heard a few DACs at home Chord among others and they were not cheap, nothing has made me want to move it on.

Has anyone tried it with and without preamp?
Like SteveS1 I have a DAC202 for 10 years now and it was a lot cheaper than the 50x is today.

I really have no need to move on except to try USB instead of Firewire but the cost difference just isn't justifiable.

I have tried both the Weiss and my phono stage through good pre-amps and much to my surprise the result is much better without! That was very unexpected. Both of these devices have their own volume controls so they now plug directly into the power amps via a simple switch unit.

Only thing I want to try now is a good class A amp preferably monos because of the weight of a large double.

Cheers,

DV

Daniel will add a USB input if required.
Keith
The last time I checked 6 years ago the full price was £1200 so maybe closer to £2k now. Thats a lot of moola just to add a USB input! O.K. it also then adds DSD as well if it was needed. I believe the cost is so high as its a board replacement rather than simply adding USB support.

Thanks anyway. Now if someone could persuade me that this would actually improve the performance thats another matter............

DV

The last time I checked 6 years ago the full price was £1200 so maybe closer to £2k now. Thats a lot of moola just to add a USB input! O.K. it also then adds DSD as well if it was needed. I believe the cost is so high as its a board replacement rather than simply adding USB support.

Thanks anyway. Now if someone could persuade me that this would actually improve the performance thats another matter............

DV

I use a Stello USB/XLR converter with clock set to that to feed the 202 it works really well, preferred it to Firewire, no driver updates needed and anyone bringing a lappy to play some music can just plug in.

Tried one here nothing wrong with it, Weiss equipment measures superbly, as has been stated just expensive when ( nearly) all of its features are available in much more economically priced equipment.
Keith[/QUOTE

Hi Keith
Have you some brands / models in mind. I’m looking to upgrade my DAC but haven’t come across any that include the features that the Weiss 501/502 has apart from Linn streamers but they don’t have USB inputs.
Steve

I was thinking about DSP. I guess it depends how useful/important this it. I don’t have any personal experience but it seems to be highly regarded both in the hifi press and on this forum.

PEQ is built in to Roon and JRiver playback software so you don’t need a dac, but if you fancy a change the RME ADI ‘Pro’ does everything.
Keith

advertisement

Back