advertisement

Moved to Devialet

There are phono stages and there are phono stages...

It is easy enough to test out; a Devialet user with a solid rig can simply run the same table into the devialet"virtual" phonostage (as in, what they do digitally to process) and then compare to any phonostage (...dare I say....a....(upturned pinky to lips)....TTTTRRROOONNNNN?????) plugged into the line input. Some level matching and we're good.

:)

I haven't heard of any mastering engineers using Devialet as their reference replay phono stage... ;)

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, end-user, manufacturer, dealer, distributor...whatever. The wonderful thing about all this stuff is that it's highly subjective, people hear things differently and also people have other considerations - which can include aesthetics, pride of ownership, resale value etc etc.

I've had many different phono stages and turntables in my 30+ years of vinyl - Linn Urika, Michell Iso, Pink Triangle PIP II, Naim Superline, Trilogy 906, Audio Research SP14, Krell, Linn Kairn and others I've forgotten. And turntables from Rega, Linn, Pink Triangle, Roksan and (briefly, wonderfully) a Forsell air bearing.

The Devialet with the MFA-632 step-up is stunning to my ears. And with the many units I've heard I feel pretty confident in this as my decision for my system. But whatever - I wish others joy in their search and if they find something which makes them happy and enjoy music more then that's what we are all here for. Not the sniping.

Recently bought a 2nd hand Devialet expert 220 pro CI, replacing a led a Tucana 2, MF M6 DAC and a SOTM sms200.

But - now what? I want a turntable, but it seems mad that it converts AD then DA.

Bit late to the party and havent read all posts... but over the last two years I have been on a box reduction splurge.

Retired my hi end preamp, cd transport and Bluray player and now have my ripped CD's and music DVD's on a self built NAS and stream these to a small form factor
"NUC like" PC running squeezelite and Kodi (for dvd playback).

This connects via USB into my dac (a DEQX HDP-4)

So my main point is... the DEQX is a dac/preamp/EQ device and it accepts analogue as well as digital inputs.

The internal resolution of the ADC is 24/96 (although the DSP EQ engine runs at 32bit for head room) and given my investment in a good turntable/arm/cart/phono amp I was worried about "corrupting" the purity of my analogue chain.

Well... at least in the case of the DEQX... it is transperant and even if I could detect some slight loss (I couldnt) any loss would be more than made up with the applied room correction (plus the fact with the retirement of my analogue pre-amp ,my playback chain is simpler which in theory is a benefit)

Not sure if the Devialet has room EQ and yes my DEQX isnt a Devialet but I think if the Devialet ADC is top notch then there are other bogey men to hunt down that arent related to the AD conversion.

Peter

PS I know some Devialet's can apply RIAA to an analogue input which means if yours does, you have a simpler signal chain to mine.. so again a potential advantage

Devialet Expert Pro Phono settings.

EQ curves

RIAA1953
RIAA 1976
NAB
RCA
COLUMBIA
EMI
AES
DECCA
L'OISEAU LYRE
TELEFUNKEN
CAPITOL
MGM
ESOTERIC

Cartridge load settings.

High 47K Ω
460 Ω
200 Ω
140 Ω
100 Ω
85 Ω
70 Ω
60 Ω
37 Ω
30 Ω
25 Ω
22 Ω
14 Ω
12 Ω
10 Ω

0 pF
100 pF
200 pF
300 pF
400 pF
500 pF
600 pF
700 pF

Maximum input level settings
  • 0.10mV to 1.00mV (in 0.01mV steps), for MC
  • 1.00mV to 15.00mV (in 0.1mV steps), for MM
Parametric Equaliser, Sweet Room.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/...oom is a room,adjusted in your listening room.

If you are looking to upgrade I'd suggest you address the weakest link in the chain. By far the biggest errors will be produced by the acoustics of your room. Typically they create variances of at least 15db which will make some sound 4 times louder than others. Correct these problems and it will transform the sound of your system.

Try and get a home trial with a Lyngdorf amp with RoomPerfect and I'm sure you'll be a concert.

FYI I think Tom at Cinehome recently switched from Devilalet to Lyngdorf driving his 800's and its transformed quality from much cheaper electronics so may be worth a call.

I'm confused by the idea of mastering engineers having a reference phono stage. Surely they all do their work from tape or digital?

If you mean what they use at home then It makes about as much sense as choosing your car based on Lewis Hamiltons daily driver.

:)

I haven't heard of any mastering engineers using Devialet as their reference replay phono stage... ;)

“I asked four engineers to help to develop a mastering process,” said D’Oria Nicolas. “I was the only one to know about all of the stages. The engineers only knew about the part that they were developing. At this time, we were using the Devialet Expert Pro convertor. The Phoenix system is actually a restoring process from the original source to the final result. Phoenix doesn’t actually work with the vinyl itself. Phoenix comes into play before vinyl appears on the scene. It is only the restoration process. Not just tape, either, it can be original vinyl processing, even 78s.”

https://theaudiophileman.com/devialet-fond/

If you want to know more about CD/Analogue/Hi Res, please subscribe to this guy’s free mailer.

This guy has spent his life in studios making recordings for some of the finest musicians. To paraphrase his research:-

· You cannot tell the difference between HiRes and CD
· CD is inferior to vinyl

Try this

I'm confused by the idea of mastering engineers having a reference phono stage. Surely they all do their work from tape or digital?

If you mean what they use at home then It makes about as much sense as choosing your car based on Lewis Hamiltons daily driver.

When artists or record companies are discussing future work with the mastering engineers, a phono stage is used to play back previously recorded material (on vinyl) that the engineer has already mastered. This is so the artist/record company/label can hear what the engineer is capable of. So the mastering engineers are always looking to use a top phono stage to give them the best result. The better the result the more work and business they get, potentially...

I have never seen a turntable in any studio, recording/mixing/mastering that I have visited, perhaps they are kept discreetly tucked away in G-Plan sideboards.
Keith

Read my post Keith. The turntable is used to demonstrate the mastering skills of the engineer, so its not going to be in any studio that is being used 24/7. It is more likely found in a conference suite on the end of a decent audio system. It's for playback purposes, not mixing. Do you know the difference between recording, mixing and mastering?

If you are looking to upgrade I'd suggest you address the weakest link in the chain. By far the biggest errors will be produced by the acoustics of your room. Typically they create variances of at least 15db which will make some sound 4 times louder than others. Correct these problems and it will transform the sound of your system.

Try and get a home trial with a Lyngdorf amp with RoomPerfect and I'm sure you'll be a concert.

FYI I think Tom at Cinehome recently switched from Devilalet to Lyngdorf driving his 800's and its transformed quality from much cheaper electronics so may be worth a call.

I do like the idea of room correction - and this is something that can be done with the devialet. Either through Roon -and uploading a profile - or in the devialet setup. I’m really not keen on more hardware changes, as this is really working for me. Probably next thing is turntable, then better speakers. Of course, there is a limited edition l’atelier on eBaY at the minute that I might be watching..

Bit late to the party and havent read all posts... but over the last two years I have been on a box reduction splurge.

Retired my hi end preamp, cd transport and Bluray player and now have my ripped CD's and music DVD's on a self built NAS and stream these to a small form factor
"NUC like" PC running squeezelite and Kodi (for dvd playback).

This connects via USB into my dac (a DEQX HDP-4)

So my main point is... the DEQX is a dac/preamp/EQ device and it accepts analogue as well as digital inputs.

The internal resolution of the ADC is 24/96 (although the DSP EQ engine runs at 32bit for head room) and given my investment in a good turntable/arm/cart/phono amp I was worried about "corrupting" the purity of my analogue chain.

Well... at least in the case of the DEQX... it is transperant and even if I could detect some slight loss (I couldnt) any loss would be more than made up with the applied room correction (plus the fact with the retirement of my analogue pre-amp ,my playback chain is simpler which in theory is a benefit)

Not sure if the Devialet has room EQ and yes my DEQX isnt a Devialet but I think if the Devialet ADC is top notch then there are other bogey men to hunt down that arent related to the AD conversion.

Peter

PS I know some Devialet's can apply RIAA to an analogue input which means if yours does, you have a simpler signal chain to mine.. so again a potential advantage

I know you’re right, and that the result is what matters - but it just feels wrong to introduce the conversion to and from digital! The whole point of analogue (as I think of it) is to keep the signal as close as possible to the original. If I’m converting to digital, surely it;s gotta be better to have that happen in the studio, and then I just listen to hi res files, right??

Read my post Keith. The turntable is used to demonstrate the mastering skills of the engineer, so its not going to be in any studio that is being used 24/7. It is more likely found in a conference suite on the end of a decent audio system. It's for playback purposes, not mixing. Do you know the difference between recording, mixing and mastering?
I was with a mixing engineer in his studio today, and installed some speakers with a mastering engineer yesterday, although that is unusual, mastering these days requires a working knowledge of the various algorithms used by the streaming music services.
Keith

advertisement

Back