advertisement

MM cart suggestions.

This statement is probably more important than you think. Finding a balance you like can be very hard and if you've been happy with a setup, happy with products for a long time it counts for something. Even if a different cartridge is actually better there is no guarantee it will slot into your system the way the little AT has. It might be a great cartridge but has a different sonic signature or isn't quite as snappy and you've lost the balance.

If the cartridge was expensive you'll probably persevere with it, maybe change other things to try and get it to work for you. Maybe you'll just play records less.

I'm not saying the old 95e was the best cartridge in the world and you should stick with it. Nor am I saying other brands of cart are useless, there could be a cart out there you'd love to bits. All I'm saying is that if you want to minimize the risk another Audio Technica might be a good move. They do mostly have a family sound and paying more just gets you more detail, refinement etc.

When you say you want more, can you identify areas you'd like to see improvements in?

Again, much sense here and exactly the advice I have given out with other components.
I think my issue is a slight lack of detail when compared to streaming (WAV). I also find, compared to my project debut 3 with Red 2m, I get a little more background noise. This wasn’t an issue before I had a comparison, I feel the LP12 should better the Project, and assume it is a cartridge thing.

Wait, is that 68k Ohm or 6.8k Ohm? Don't know if there's a phono stage that allows you to set at such a high resistance.

When I tried 6.8k for my AT440, I thought the frequency response was bit off.

My AT cartridges (740ml, 150sa, 95e, Carbon) all work much better with just cable load (150 pF) and 68k. I’ve tried many combinations, and that is the best I could get.

When was the Linn last serviced? It depends on the background noise in question but you could have a worn bearing. Other than that, yes, it should be quieter.

When was the Linn last serviced? It depends on the background noise in question but you could have a worn bearing. Other than that, yes, it should be quieter.
2 years ago, cirkus bearing. I should check oil though.

AT VM95ML or SH would be good. Another interesting option that I have not personally tried yet, is the Paratrace upgrade stylus for the AT95. I think a new ML is now better value for money.

Other suggestions for the more expensive AT cartridges are also sensible.

I think I would personally try a ML from Amazon, and send it back if I did not like it.

Wait, is that 68k Ohm or 6.8k Ohm? Don't know if there's a phono stage that allows you to set at such a high resistance.

When I tried 6.8k for my AT440, I thought the frequency response was bit off.
It’s 68k. I have a soldering iron :D

There are a number of options, as there always are, it is just finding one that suits.

Ortofon 2m Bronze
AT VM540ML

I may order through Amazon as suggested and give them a go.

I actually prefer my 2M Bronze over the 2M Black. The 2M Bronze is a little less harsh and analytical than the 2M Black, which is a great cart but very detailed, a bit too detailed for me, I would imagine it's great for classical, but a touch harsh on my ears. The bronze suits my taste in music, which is everything from Detroit Techno, dance, indie, grime, rock etc etc. Coupled with a Lehmann Black Cube SE it's a lovely warm combination. Almost tube-esque !

More surface noise but also pops and cracks.
The 2m Red seems more forgiving.

Maybe a little but there isn't a huge amount in it. The AT95e is a thinnish and brightly lit cart and the Ittok has a bit of a lift in the lower treble so I'd expect it to sound a bit like that. The Red should be slightly better but not night and day.

ProJects have a duller, softer sound so probably not making as much of the surface noise. Not picking up as much information either but the plus side is less noise.

A cart which will make less of record dirt while still having the top end zip of the AT is tricky.

I find the ML extremely good at cutting through the bulk of record dirt, presumably it sits lower in the groove where wear and surface dirt is less. My initial experience was of a much improved signal to noise ratio. If that isn't the case then it just sounds like it is.

Maybe a little but there isn't a huge amount in it. The AT95e is a thinnish and brightly lit cart and the Ittok has a bit of a lift in the lower treble so I'd expect it to sound a bit like that. The Red should be slightly better but not night and day.

ProJects have a duller, softer sound so probably not making as much of the surface noise. Not picking up as much information either but the plus side is less noise.

A cart which will make less of record dirt while still having the top end zip of the AT is tricky.

I generally like a mellow warm sound, working from home has meant more time in the attic listening to the project (Nait1/Rogers LS7t) which often does that quite well. I'm happy with the sound from CB160BD/CB62/CBHC/SBL in my lounge (I'm using internal MM board whilst waiting for the Uniti to come back - this will be used for all sources, Pre into Pre; it should give volume control over all sources whilst maintaining the 62).

I think you are right about the brightness, a cart which can tone this down a little may be more to my taste (even if detail suffers slightly).

Thanks Guys, just adding to my confusion :)

I’m still not sure if an MC or MM makes sense but there are at least a few good options.

In my experience with the Ortofon range, their high output MCs outperformed their MM counterparts with similar styli. This is on a light weight Hadcock tonearm which conventional wisdom says favors high compliance MM cartridges.

I think you are right about the brightness, a cart which can tone this down a little may be more to my taste (even if detail suffers slightly).

A better Audio Technica MM would keep a similar overall balance but would sound a bit fuller, more detailed and be more civilized at the top end. An Ortofon Blue or Bronze would probably be a little softer sounding again? I'm guessing a bit as the only two 2M carts I've actually had in my system are the Red and Black. Ortofon carts are generally warmer than AT ones but the 2Ms are quite bright for Ortofon carts.

Just to throw a wild card in, you can still buy new styluses for the Ortofon 500 range. These are the carts which proceeded the 2Ms and, despite being pig ugly, are pretty nice. So the 510 is broadly equivalent to the Red and 540 is what became the Black. However, I personally prefer the 540 MkII to the Black. Slightly less detailed and dynamic but smoother and more coherent. The bodies are all the same so if you can pick up any used 500-series body and buy a new 540 stylus for it (£240) for about say £260 you've got a cartridge which is on a par with the 2M Black at £500. Ok, they look like Lego bricks but sound wise it's up there with the best MM carts you can buy. Big step up in refinement and detail over a 95e.

Just a thought ;0)

advertisement

Back