advertisement

What's your Favourite Pasta Sauce?

i like puttanesca lots too.

i also make a fantastic white wine and cream clam sauce a french girlfriend once taught me. she was a great cook!

this requires a can of baby clams (if serving two - sounds distasteful to foodies i'm sure but it's very good!) - just start with shallots and a BIT of garlic browned in a pan with butter add a third bottle of white wine and the clam juice together - and reduce down to something almost viscous ... then build up a white bechamel sauce on top of that - and serve over a nice pasta with some sharp aged grated cheese to taste (italians will be horrified at this part). bon apetit! it's REALLY nice (but rich!) if done right

This recipe is the basic Roman sauce.

The best quality tinned tomato you can get
A clove of garlic finely chopped
Good quality olive oil
Salt to taste.

Fry the garlic until golden brown, then add the tomatoes and cook slowly for about 8 mins with the pan lid on. If you like a smoother sauce, use a potato masher to get rid out the lumps of tomato.

What are the best brands? Does it matter whether they’re chopped or whole? Plum or cherry?

The brand I use is Rega. Seriously. They are whole, peeled, San Marzano tomatoes in a purée. The important thing is to get DOP certified tomatoes. This guarantees that they were actually grown in Italy. It’s a soil related thing, and it makes a huge difference to the flavour of the tomatoes.
HTH

A nice fresh pesto is pretty hard to beat. I know a guy who makes a pizza with smoked salmon, red onion, capers, and feta. Just before he fires it in the oven, he adds a zigzag of pesto over the whole works. Deadly good.

Last edited:
Has anyone on here used pork cheek (guanciale) for Carbonara?
I’ve used pancetta and prosciutto ends, but I’ve never tried pork cheek...

With classic Genoese pesto, the pasta, which should be "trenette" or "linguine", should be cooked with a few string beans, the smaller the better, and pieces of potato. Makes a huge difference. Also, the recipe I was given many years ago calls for 50% Parmesan and 50% pecorino, with garlic optional.

Has anyone on here used pork cheek (guanciale) for Carbonara?
I’ve used pancetta and prosciutto ends, but I’ve never tried pork cheek...
If you use guanciale (and are a pedant) it isn’t carbonara, it is “pasta alla gricia”, a classic “cucina povera” Roman dish made with guanciale, pecorino and black pepper. (but unlike carbonara, no eggs). Chop the guanciale into sticks, fry it gently till the fat renders and it is crunchy-ish. Meantime cook the pasta- usually spaghetti - until it is al dente, then put it in the pan with the rendered guanciale, add the grated pecorino, add a spoon or two of pasta water to emulsify the sauce if necessary, add abundant grated black pepper and serve.
https://www.salepepe.it/ricette/primi/pasta-secca/pasta-alla-gricia/

advertisement

Back