advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely one of the Manchester clubs can cough up the missing 5 m ?. About the price of Du Bruyne s left peg.

Both are foreign owned. When the £ drops even further more and more of the UK will be foreign owned. Take back control.

What will be wrong with it will be the fact it will be vastly higher than the government want it to be so instead let's just not update it.

The number looks to be about 200 too low for Friday (Sunday's figure), then they were very late to update on Monday and not at all yesterday...

I can't see Johnson being PM come the 2024 election, even in these politically miserable times there has to be a limit to how incompetent you can be before you get ousted by your own party. With the literally hundreds of thousands we're going to see dead from the virus and the piss poor handling of Brexit I don't think he'll survive the term. This is good as an awful lot of people vote for him as he's a 'lovable rogue' and no one else in the party engenders that type of vote. With him gone we stand a chance of getting them out, without that I'm not so sure! All we have to do is make sure we manage to stay alive long enough to see it!
I agree totally. Looking at the possible replacements that might turn people off, my hope is Gove to replace him. There is always a chance I'm allowing my own personal take on individuals cloud the judgement, of course but I really can't imagine Gove being a popular figure across the UK.

I had the most staggering conversation this week, which further cements my view that people ignoring the rules is the primary reason for the virus spreading. Saw a teacher whilst walking through the village. Stopped for a chat and asked how the family is etc. Said they have been told to self isolate due to exposure. Then proceeded to tell me the supermarket was pretty busy, she had just been shopping! If this is someone who supposedly has a modicum of intelligence, with effective immunity from the financial hit of C19, there is absolutely no hope.

I agree totally. Looking at the possible replacements that might turn people off, my hope is Gove to replace him. There is always a chance I'm allowing my own personal take on individuals cloud the judgement, of course but I really can't imagine Gove being a popular figure across the UK.

Gove is the intelligent one of the pack though...

It won’t be Gove he’s too toxic. That’s why they’re sending him out all the time to fight the media. Won’t be Patel, she’s not smart enough. My money’s on either Raab or Hunt. Hunt has been making pronouncements from the sidelines that almost seem sensible of late. He still fancies his chances.

Gove is an oddity. He really isn't very bright. He proved that years ago by the attitudes he displayed over higher Ed, in ..for e.g. The Arts..which he dismissed.. completely ignoring the HUGE earner Arts/Fashion/Media etc., are for the UK. His Victorian attitudes to life in general and education in particular also showed up his ignorance and very limited knowledge.
He bases every utterance on his own, very narrow and personal world view. The fact that he appears reasonable, well spoken, well mannered etc.. belies an underlying conviction that he knows best... when in reality he knows sod all.

However.. he does seem to be a bit more circumspect in his dealings and AFAICS has not been directly involved in any major theft/fraud/kleptocratic stuff a.la Jenrick et.al..., preferring to be caught out on relatively unimportant personal scandals such as doing a bit of 'Coke' at uni..and other student japes.

But.. he is far right, very Brexit and still in there with them. Therefore is just as bad.

Surely one of the Manchester clubs can cough up the missing 5 m ?. About the price of Du Bruyne s left peg.
There is only one club in Manchester.
The other is in Trafford, part of greater Manchester but not the City of Manchester.

It won’t be Gove he’s too toxic. That’s why they’re sending him out all the time to fight the media. Won’t be Patel, she’s not smart enough. My money’s on either Raab or Hunt. Hunt has been making pronouncements from the sidelines that almost seem sensible of late. He still fancies his chances.
His shareholdings in, and ownership of, private health companies will be rejoicing.

I hope very much that it is Gove, but I suspect even the Tories would peg him as too toxic, treacherous and back-stabbing. Sunak is probably too brown for an institutionally racist party & voterbase, as obviously is Patel. Hunt is a possibility, though probably a spent force by now, which kind of leaves Raab as the front-runner by default. He seems to have kept his head down fairly well, lacks the air and pomp of the idle billionaire Bullingdon class which is likely wearing a bit thin by now. A quick look at Wikipedia suggests Raab is still Oxbridge educated, but he got there via a state grammar and does seem to come across as a little less of the typical inbred Tory freak. He could be quite dangerous IMHO.

To be honest I’d be astonished if the Tories could win the next election considering the woeful handling of covid 19, the impending economic/employment catastrophe of Brexit, and the endless catalogue of siphoning our tax revenue into donors pockets for non-delivered products, but Labour prove time after time they are entirely unfit for the purpose of opposition, so who knows? In any sane democratic society both would be hoofed far into the weeds and forgotten about by now, but we are where we are.

I think the big question for the next election is whether the collapse of the UK economy will push the vote back to the left or further to the right.

COVID and Brexit can both be blamed on foreigners (EU, China) so it is quite likely that introspection will be avoided, much like in the USA.

How anyone can say the Governments failures are not political.

“If you are not incandescent with rage, you haven’t grasped the scale of what has been done to us. The new surge in the coronavirus, and the restrictions and local lockdowns it has triggered, are caused in large part by the catastrophic failure of the test-and-trace system. Its £12bn budget has been blown, as those in charge of it have failed to drive the infection rate below the critical threshold.”

Monbiot’s article clearly lays out the cronyism and corruption that lies at the heart of the response to the pandemic.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back