advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

One OS sounding better than another? Kind of lost me there. This is getting into USB cables sounding different territory. Does not compute.

Come on, all proper audiophiles know that Windows provides a more transparent sound, Apple being slighty more "sharp", or fruity if the system has warmed up well.

later today I shall be picking these up for a local fellow here in the States:

L430. integrated and T240 tuner bundled together circa '82-'84
should be nice to go some of vintage Mission and/or Celestion speakers in my guest room aa yet another satellite system :)

118766592_966977920434554_4687514771008120577_n.jpg

Maybe you still can say that its a matter of taste, but at least in the bass region its brutally obvious how wrong all tube & transistor amps do sound.

My old combo for desktop: Modded TA-3216 with recapped Meanwell PSU and Alpair 6 fullrangers. A visitor was willing to pay me €1000 for this combo! Big & driving sound with lot of body, could go quiet loud and still so smooth and clean... The rhythmic drive was really captivating.

You seem to have condemned all conventional amplifiers based on their bass performance with 3.5" 'full range' speakers. o_O

1. Luxman sound different than Accuphase (1974-1986). I have several Accuphase amps, 2x P-300 (one is modded), P-300X, and several integrated Accu amps. So I know very well how Accuphase sound, also the 90's models and the new ones. The L-430 is not a bad amp.

2. Windows 10 sound better than MAC OS cos the software to integrate audio hardware is better and more direct. Despite that MAC mainboards are total cheap crap using only a small amount of voltage stabilizers. An advanced ASUS mainboard has much better components and much much more volt. stabilizers. Higher S/N ratio on the voltage lines and so on. A MAC with MAC OS do sound more cooler with lesser body than PC & WIN10. That's a good thing cos WIN10 is also the better OS.

3. The bass performance of the D-Class amps is far better no matter what you use, fullrange or 3-way (BTW, Alpair 10 is 6 inch and I have a 2 way here too, Seas Excel with the big Air-Motion transformer. The most energy (well over 90%) of an amp goes out for bass reproduction, look at he speed of the amps devices and you will see why the performance of the conventional amps MUST be worse. The D-Class bass is lightning fast, ultra deep, fruity not dry like some trans amps and endless insight, you cant hear that all with a conventional amp cos it is factual not possible. They (conventional amps) are so heavy handed to get the energy (current) out of the PSU and a large percentage goes into heat not music. Tube amps are even weaker in the bass - output transformer! Because the bass reproduction is so effortless the rhythm and flow is also effortless and this is undeniable. D-Class amp bass is just right and everybody will hear that.

4. I made several USB cable tests at home and in shops, the differences are very clear. I ended up with a DIY cable - I made it with Sommer Digital cable and ferrite rings. That was a real good decision cos it is cheap and sounding good.

So, is your accuphase amp about 40 years old?

2. Windows 10 sound better than MAC OS cos the software to integrate audio hardware is better and more direct. Despite that MAC mainboards are total cheap crap using only a small amount of voltage stabilizers. An advanced ASUS mainboard has much better components and much much more volt. stabilizers. Higher S/N ratio on the voltage lines and so on. A MAC with MAC OS do sound more cooler with lesser body than PC & WIN10. That's a good thing cos WIN10 is also the better OS. Despite that MAC PSU are a disgrace and dirt cheap crap.

You sound like a big Windows fan. I use both, and prefer Mac, but I don't rage on about it on an audio forum.

Unless one or both of the Mac and Windows PC are doing some sort of DSP on the stream, they should sound identical through the same chain (DAC, amp, speakers). The mac would have to be doing something pretty amazing to be changing the sound of the audio by mis-handling the digital stream. When digital audio is corrupted it doesn't get 'cooler' or 'less depth' or 'poor stereo imaging'. So maybe I misunderstand you. What exactly do you think the Mac could do to influence the sound when it is producing a digital stream?

Both P-300 models are 46 years old! And working like a champ. One is in original state the other is recapped and slightly modded. Both are perfectly aligned and measuring well. My P-300X is 37 years old and also recapped.
Earlier in the thread you said they sounded terrible ... that doesn’t line up with working like a champ ...

Pure BS!

You better read the posts before you write such crap.

3. The bass performance of the D-Class amps is far better no matter what you use, fullrange or 3-way (BTW, Alpair 10 is 6 inch and I have a 2 way here too, Seas Excel with the big Air-Motion transformer. The most energy (well over 90%) of an amp goes out for bass reproduction, look at he speed of the amps devices and you will see why the performance of the conventional amps MUST be worse. The D-Class bass is lightning fast, ultra deep, fruity not dry like some trans amps and endless insight, you cant hear that all with a conventional amp cos it is factual not possible. They (conventional amps) are so heavy handed to get the energy (current) out of the PSU and a large percentage goes into heat not music. Tube amps are even weaker in the bass - output transformer! Because the bass reproduction is so effortless the rhythm and flow is also effortless and this is undeniable. D-Class amp bass is just right and everybody will hear that.

Ironic :)

You sound like these guys in the 80's: "There can't be any difference in sound with CD-players cos it is digital" or "Cable direction is not important". If you read the digital technologies history you will see many things were misunderstood or not even known. I.e.: There are still people out there believing that a digitally made copy (digital to digital) can't be better than the original cos they still think in analogue terms. Even after reading the scientific proof!

You are the one claiming analogue type differences between a couple of non-analogue devices. The CD player analogy is a false equivalence, different dig-analogue conversion and output stage in each player.

Moving away from the bizarre claims above, can I ask a simple question:

With these Japanese amplifiers, and the Luxman in particular, who in the UK can service/repair them if it should be required some years down the line? As you know, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 590 but - apart from the cost - the thing giving me just a little bit of pause is to get the reassurance that it is reliable and serviceable to justify being a 'final' amp. I'm not expecting problems, but equally if I still have it in 20 years time, it would be good to know that it can be readily serviced, caps changed or whatever it needs. The fact so many of their older amps are still in regular use is promising, but then these are not the 70s amps and likely incorporate differences that might make it difficult in the future.

With these Japanese amplifiers, and the Luxman in particular, who in the UK can service/repair them if it should be required some years down the line? As you know, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 590 but - apart from the cost - the thing giving me just a little bit of pause is to get the reassurance that it is reliable and serviceable to justify being a 'final' amp. I'm not expecting problems, but equally if I still have it in 20 years time, it would be good to know that it can be readily serviced, caps changed or whatever it needs. The fact so many of their older amps are still in regular use is promising, but then these are not the 70s amps and likely incorporate differences that might make it difficult in the future.

As long as the service/repair involves analog components it should be possible by good repair person, provided a service manual is available. The 590 doesn't have a built in DAC or streaming, which I consider a big plus for longevity. But it may still have a microprocessor to handling the various button and input selector functions.

I had a B&O Beomaster 4500 that developed a fault a few years ago. It had an EEPROM that had failed and needed replacement. Fortunately I was able to buy the same part and get the correct firmware installed. The chip just plugged into a socket on the main PCB. But it could be a different story for the Luxman.

Out of curiosity, if you power off/unplug the Luxman, rotate the input selector knob, then turn it on again, does the input change? If so, it might be truly old school (e.g. mechanical rotary selector), which would be great IMO.

I couldn't see myself ever investing a significant amount of money in any of the high end all in one boxes that couple high end analog with streaming/DAC/network capabilities (Audionet, Devialet, etc.). Too much to go wrong, or become obsolete in 10-20 years. But the Luxman seems like a kind of beast that could be serviced in the long term. Hard to tell without poking around inside!

Depends on the brand to a large extent I would think. Assuming you purchase from a UK dealer, then the dealer and local distributor are your first resource (dealer would normally forward to distributor for you if that's deemed necessary). Beyond that, who knows?

Relatively few of the smaller Japanese manufacturers export directly, typically they'll employ an agent and establish a distribution/service network for say Europe or the US markets. I think I'm correct in saying Accuphase used to arrive in the UK on that model, I don't know if things are different under the new distributor.

I had a two box CEC where both transport and DAC suffered a major lightning strike a few years back, that was returned by the UK distributor to their German HQ for a rebuild.

I'd have thought you're on fairly solid ground with Luxman, there's an IAG office in Huntingdon, which I think employs a number of service staff.

And as has already been pointed out, the design/complexity of the product will be a factor as well. Personally I wouldn't touch anything from the likes of Devialet with a bargepole, to me that's just a doorstop looking for something to prop open (mind you, don't they just throw some of their stuff away and give you a new one?).

Equally, anything imported direct from China is probably best viewed with at least one sceptical eyebrow raised (not that I'd be buying it at all).

If you want real security, the moral is probably buy a Sugden.

Ultimately though, 20 years?

Hah!

We'll all be dead by then anyway, either 'The Donald' will trigger WW3, a mutated Covid/Ebola hybrid virus will mean you can turn to soup even while typing on a hifi forum, or the machines will have risen and decided we're an infestation (another reason not to buy a Devialet, just in case the f*ck*rs become sentient and start trolling me on social media).

If you want real security, the moral is probably buy a Sugden.
Why, though? Small firm, could go the way of many smaller firms in the UK. No guarantee they'll be around in 10 years, though obviously I hope they (like most UK manufacturing) thrive. Or do you mean something about the simplicity of their products relative to others? or maybe you're just alluding to the fact that they are designed and built in the UK, so no expensive overseas shipping to deal with?

I would have loved to get an IA-4 in at the same time as the Luxman. It's the comparative test that would settle this, although I daresay either is a solid choice. Sugden warranty is non-transferrable apparently, I read. Not sure about Luxman. Both 5 years I believe.

Why, though? Small firm, could go the way of many smaller firms in the UK. No guarantee they'll be around in 10 years, though obviously I hope they (like most UK manufacturing) thrive. Or do you mean something about the simplicity of their products relative to others? or maybe you're just alluding to the fact that they are designed and built in the UK, so no expensive overseas shipping to deal with?

Bit of all of that. But even if Heckmondwicke were to be taken out in the first wave of The Donald's tactical strike, hard to imagine you couldn't find a competent service bod (or bot?) who could keep it on the road.

Assuming of course there's any electricity.

That said, would my current candidate dream amp be a Sugden?

Of course not. Never mind 20 years, we might all be dead by Christmas. ;-)

I guess I should relay my experience of Yamaha's customer service, seeing as I own an A-S2100 and they're in the thread title...

When we experienced a local area power outage with the amp seemingly failed (actually had entered protection), Yamaha were prompt in their replies for troubleshooting and arranging for local service from a third party but well known and respected service agent. In the end, it was quick and easy fix but the process otherwise seemed good and straightforward.

Reactions: JTC
So you don't know the difference between "sounds good" & "working fine" or "working like a champ", really?
It must be my bad English.
It appears you and I fundamentally disagree on most of what you say on this thread. Firstly, I've yet to hear a computer audio based system, at any price or level of sophistication, that produces a musical experience much beyond what you can get with a well-chosen budget CD player. So if you like the computer stuff, that's fine, but we're probably never going to agree on what 'good' sounds like.

Secondly, you keep insinuating that Accuphase is poor, based on your experience of product which is approaching 50 years old. Current (and recent) Accuphase is an entirely different proposition. Apart from anything else, the preamp technology is completely different.

Thirdly, any native English speaker would infer that 'working like a champ' means 'performing superbly, at the very highest level'. So, to the extent that you want to compare 'sounds good' or 'working fine' with 'working like a champ', then the latter description would automatically be taken to mean the performance was significantly ahead of the other descriptions.

Fourthly, you've pitched in to this thread pretty much from cold, quite assertively dismissed Accuphase, and according to your profile you joined on Monday. I suspect an agenda.

I'd phone IAG and ask your question, but my view is that all amps made outside the UK will just be sent to any local indi repair shop near you. As long as they source Luxman parts (which they must I'd guess) then you are as well off as any imported amp. If this is such a deal breaker, then buy from a UK company that has its own service center.
IAG are at : +44(0)1480-447700

At the risk of agitating the situation, but to provide an alternative opinion, I feel I should mention my experience of a budget class D amp which a fellow PFM'er lent me (and I sincerely hope he doesn't read this :oops:).

I cannot remember which amp it was, however I do remember that it was "the one on DIYAudio that everyone is raving about". It did look very similar to a TPA3255 (but then they all do, don't they!).

I plugged it into my semi-active system in place of my usual class A/B amp powering the mid/treble (100Hz upwards). It sounded much more different to my usual amp than any of my other amps (KT88 PP, class A zero GF, other class A/B amps, LM3886 amp with regulated PS etc.). Initial impressions were that it was super detailed and tight/crisp sounding. However after a few tracks it was apparent that the amp was doing something quite strange to the music. I really should have measured the distortion spectrum, frequency and transient response to see if there was an obvious reason for the weird sound. This was one of the very few amps I have come across that I really could not live with. I would liken the sound to a highly pixelated picture with the colour and contrast turned up way too high.

I have a NuForce amp, which I think is Class D. I like it, but while it's rated at 60W, it's pretty gutless. I'm beginning to think Class D Watts are the opposite of Class A watts, ie, less usable welly than the numbers would suggest.

advertisement

Back