advertisement

Recommend me a decent budget cd player

I have a spare Rotel RCD-965BX as I'm downsizing, which means I'm keeping my Sony X33ES.
No remote though but I can throw in a universal harmony. Not sure it'll work but you never know.

Whereabouts are you?
I’m near Welywn garden, Herts

Marantz CD 6006 : good sounding, affordable, reliable, easy to resell or repair.
The market being flooded by them will make it easy to get spare parts in the future.
If you need a better sound, add an SMSL M500 DAC. Also very affordable and requires a DAC at least 5 times more expensive to beat it.

I’m near Welywn garden, Herts

I was hoping you'd be close Peter.
Just had some recent bad courier experience, especially my hermes, of stuff delivered to me, broken.

Unless you have family in the Worcestershire area, I'd be looking for something local. I just wouldn't trust such an item to get to you in one piece.

Marantz CD 6006 : good sounding, affordable, reliable, easy to resell or repair.
The market being flooded by them will make it easy to get spare parts in the future.
If you need a better sound, add an SMSL M500 DAC. Also very affordable and requires a DAC at least 5 times more expensive to beat it.
yes at some point I shall get the 6007 to use as a transport as I cannot play the sacd one into my dacs with sacd

I had the UK se model and much preferred the Rotel 965/955, My rega Apollo with a nait5i really put it into context. I sold the Marantz easily tho as as said in high demand I just found it thin compared to the Rega

I use a Tangent 2 - not the best I had but not bad. I also modified it to fit in a Naim case. There is a picture in the system pics (can’t get bcc code on my phone).

I’ve had a 965BX in the past; moved it on when it got a bit choosy about reading discs. Picked up a mint 855 for pocket-money back in the early days of lockdown and it’s been terrific. Definitely the most enjoyable, fun player I’ve owned.

That looks great. Did you have that made?
Hi. No, I just edged the Tangent to fit in the Naim case. It isn’t perfect, 2mm short on each side and about 1mm off the top and bottom. It will sit nicely with my Nait1 once the Uniti comes back from Naim 5 weeks and counting now.

I wondered whether I should look at a new CD player but I enjoy the Rotel 965BX so much I’m not sure I could beat it with a modern player under £500.

I wondered whether I should look at a new CD player but I enjoy the Rotel 965BX so much I’m not sure I could beat it with a modern player under £500.
I agree. I have the Rotel but I know you can beat it with a Cambridge CXC transport and a decent, but not necessarily expensive DAC. I use an Audiolab Mdac, but got very similar sound quality with my second system Soncoz QXD1.
Hope this is still of interest to the OP. Budget standalone players are not that good. A better approach I think is transport and DAC.

I agree. I have the Rotel but I know you can beat it with a Cambridge CXC transport and a decent, but not necessarily expensive DAC. I use an Audiolab Mdac, but got very similar sound quality with my second system Soncoz QXD1.
Hope this is still of interest to the OP. Budget standalone players are not that good. A better approach I think is transport and DAC.
I looked at the CXC. If it comes down in price I may give it a try.I could plug it into my Yammy Sabre Dac.

have you tried comparing the 2 ?

I did use a Cambridge player as a transport recently but found it less rich sounding than the Rotel with a reduced soundstage. I enjoyed the Dacmagic 100 though.

Pro-Ject CD-Box via SMSL Sanskrit 10th V2 here. The slot-in drive was originally made for cars (BMW IIRC), so pulling in and ejecting CDs is fast and loud. During replay, the transport is hardly detectable. Remote control is of the cheapest types, but working with good response even from wider angles.

The successor (CD-Box S2) has a better internal DAC, so it might be sufficient on its own.

advertisement

Back