advertisement

NAD M10 or Lyngdorf TDAI 1120?

Thanks - do you know if the third-party apps would have any impact on the audio quality?

I've not tried BubbleUPnP, but have tried MconnectHD to my TDAi-3400 using both Tidal and Qobuz. Have to say that I didn't like it much as it made the soundstage on my system sound very closed in and instrument separation up to much. This was tested against CDs via my CD player and against Tidal/Qobuz via Roon. It actually reminded me of low rate MP3.

I've not tried BubbleUPnP, but have tried MconnectHD to my TDAi-3400 using both Tidal and Qobuz. Have to say that I didn't like it much as it made the soundstage on my system sound very closed in and instrument separation up to much. This was tested against CDs via my CD player and against Tidal/Qobuz via Roon. It actually reminded me of low rate MP3.
Were you using the same DAC or the same filter settings on your DAC? At the risk of starting another circular argument, I really can't see how it can make any difference to the SQ, all the app is doing is delivering the zeros & ones from Qobuz/Tidal to the DAC.

I found the 3400 streamer a bit disappointing at first, I did buy the 3400 more or less on release, to me it has improved with later firmware.

I mostly use an external streamer with it but have run a simple 3400/Speaker system at various times and I felt it wasn’t falling as far short this time compared to the first time I tried.

Not sure it’s as simple as the App supplies just 1s 0s - they must do some sort of processing? I have in the past using Auralic kit thought to myself that Lightning DS sounded better than the other Apps I was trying out, no way to prove it, I was sure tunes played using DS sounded better that weekend.

Were you using the same DAC or the same filter settings on your DAC? At the risk of starting another circular argument, I really can't see how it can make any difference to the SQ, all the app is doing is delivering the zeros & ones from Qobuz/Tidal to the DAC.

When testing MconnectHD, I had that and Roon connected via WiFi to my TDAi-3400. Mconnect utilised the UPnP input of the 3400 and Roon used the Roon Ready input. That's the natural way of things with the 3400.

When testing the Node 2i using BluOs and Roon, the only connection used was the Coax digital output of the Node 2i to the Coax digital input of the 3400. Nothing else was different and no upsampling of any kind was used.

I don't pretend to understand it myself as I'm very new to streaming, but the difference was there and it was consistent.

Interesting feedback, thanks for sharing. I suppose the main thing to do is to test for myself and see if I can notice any change.

Orangutan, thought provoking review. Have you tried RoomPerfect yet? Did you find the setup process easy to use? Did it improve your system SQ?
Thanks

Room Perfect calibration completed on my 1120. An easier process than Dirac.

Immediate impressions are positive, but not a night and day change (likely because the room works fairly well to begin with). The soundstage is definitely wider and feels nicely opened up. The bass bloom is gone too. But perhaps not quite as relaxed to listen to. It will take more listening to acclimatise but I'll be leaving Room Perfect enabled. Certainly a feature worth having.

I had the chance to introduce another dealer to the benefits of RoomPerfect room correction and Lyngdorfs other technologies yesterday.

Here is his feedback…….

“You have four extremely impressive rooms there. I was bowled over by the dynamics, headroom, sheer power and yet subtlety of the systems. The Steinway Lyngdorf music systems are to die for. Incredible.” Tom Edge, Cinehome

I had this email this morning after Tom from Cinehome tried the Lyngdorf Equibit amp with RoomPerfect in his system....

"The 3400 is fantastic. It has made the 802D3’s come to life. Everything is improved. Smear has gone, imaging improved and soundstage bigger and wider. The crossover and timing with the subwoofer is excellent and now the system sounds as one, perfectly blended. It’s a keeper!"

FYI.....Meridian will soon start supplying Lyngdorf MP60 to their dealers installing surround systems. After trying every correction system on the market, RoomPerfect was the only one that preserved the sound of their speakers.

If you have great speakers and want to hear them as they were supposed to sound, its the only correction system that works!

I had this email from the manager of Nottingham HiFi this morning about the Lyngdorf TDAi3400 that he tried in his home yesterday.

One word “revelation” !

TBH wasn’t sure to start with but I ended up listening to 5 hours of music.

So clean/clear and the space and Soundstage. Wow!

As Rob Sinden mentioned, we now have the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 installed in our demonstration room running a pair of B&W 802D3's and an SVS SB-3000 subwoofer. The room is fairly typical of many modern living rooms in homes - eg large rug, sofa, books, curtains etc but didn't "play" particularly well with the 802D3's prior to installing the 3400. Results were always somewhat lacking given the potential of the 802D3's. Disappointing in simple terms.

After running RoomPerfect the differences are not subtle: smear has gone, imaging improved and soundstage bigger and wider. The crossover and timing with the subwoofer is excellent and now the system sounds as one, perfectly blended. The ability to correctly blend a subwoofer with a full range loudspeaker makes such a difference.

Functionally, the 3400 is flawless. Roon runs perfectly, plenty of inputs and flexibility. Great app and IP interface from a laptop. It just works.

To show the benefits of RoomPerfect in more of a kitchen/diner type environment, we will be installing a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 shortly along with a pair of Lyngndorf's MH-2/3 loudspeakers and the BW-3 subwoofer, again allowing us to clearly demonstrate the advantages of RoomPerfect and all that Lyngdorf has to offer.

We would welcome the opportunity to show clients the benefits of RoomPerfect in their own homes and rooms - the absolute best way to properly evaluate any component before committing.

I just want to add my two cents worth. I have a pair of Focal Sopra 1s run by a Naim Nova. I’ve never been happy with the system. It lacks warmth and the speakers sound as if they have little bass. I therefore have to connect the Nova to other power amps to reduce the brightness as well as using my REL. this works to a certain extent but is not totally satisfactory. I only play CDs and Spotify so my needs are simple.
My dealer finally convinced me to take home a 1120 to try for a few days. The most difficult part was assembling the microphone stand (in the end I didn’t do it but just held the mic in my hand). I didn’t follow the instructions correctly either because I was holding the mic closer to the min length recommended and sometimes just resting it on a table because I couldn’t be bothered any more. I finally started streaming some music through Spotify not expecting much. But I was slack jawed after just a few seconds. My speakers were sounding like they were supposed to sound. Their character had changed completely. They were warm, dynamic and had bass in spades. I had no need for the subwoofer. They were almost like a more dynamic pair of Sonus Fabers. I have never seen a bigger change in the sound of a pair of speakers (for the better). And I’ve been playing around with this stuff for years.
Needless to say, the Nova is going back to be replaced by a Lyngdorf. The only question was whether to go for a 1120 and use it with a larger power amp or just a 3400 which is already pretty powerful. People in the know have told me that the 3400 is the way to go for a one-step solution, both in terms of less equipment/wiring and also keeping the signal in the digital domain.
I can’t compare the RP to other systems like Dirac etc but I don’t need to anymore. I believe once I’ve got my new Lyngdorf it will be end game for me.

You do need to keep the microphone absolutely still while doing RoomPerfect measurements, because the system is (among other things) measuring distances in the room very precisely, so any microphone movements will have resulted in a somewhat 'peculiar' result. I'd persevere with the tripod and have another go!

I just want to add my two cents worth. I have a pair of Focal Sopra 1s run by a Naim Nova. I’ve never been happy with the system. It lacks warmth and the speakers sound as if they have little bass. I therefore have to connect the Nova to other power amps to reduce the brightness as well as using my REL. this works to a certain extent but is not totally satisfactory. I only play CDs and Spotify so my needs are simple.
My dealer finally convinced me to take home a 1120 to try for a few days. The most difficult part was assembling the microphone stand (in the end I didn’t do it but just held the mic in my hand). I didn’t follow the instructions correctly either because I was holding the mic closer to the min length recommended and sometimes just resting it on a table because I couldn’t be bothered any more. I finally started streaming some music through Spotify not expecting much. But I was slack jawed after just a few seconds. My speakers were sounding like they were supposed to sound. Their character had changed completely. They were warm, dynamic and had bass in spades. I had no need for the subwoofer. They were almost like a more dynamic pair of Sonus Fabers. I have never seen a bigger change in the sound of a pair of speakers (for the better). And I’ve been playing around with this stuff for years.
Needless to say, the Nova is going back to be replaced by a Lyngdorf. The only question was whether to go for a 1120 and use it with a larger power amp or just a 3400 which is already pretty powerful. People in the know have told me that the 3400 is the way to go for a one-step solution, both in terms of less equipment/wiring and also keeping the signal in the digital domain.
I can’t compare the RP to other systems like Dirac etc but I don’t need to anymore. I believe once I’ve got my new Lyngdorf it will be end game for me.

Suggest you get the dealer to build up the Mic Stand or at least show you how it fits together.

I'd go for the 3400, the 1120 and SDA2400 power work out about the same price, you can add the HDMI and Analogue modules if you expand the system later, keeps the initial cost down.

The CD2 would match in nicely :)

I have a 3400 and can say it's one of the very best purchases I've ever made. Have previously had Arcam, Linn, Naim and Meridian based systems, all of which were decent, but the Lyngdorf and RP are proving to be a revelation.

You do have to have the mic very steady to get the best results, so either get the stand built or do as I did and buy a better stand. My Studio Spares stand was around £12 delivered, so not a great expense and it is much better than the Lyngdorf supplied stand.

I've had the 2170 and 3400 on extended home trials and I found the 3400 better for my needs. I have heard the 1120 and it is a very good amp, but for a main system, I'd still take the 3400.

I should add that before Lyngdorf's RP system, I had tried Dirac (still actually have it on my Arcam AVR, but no longer use it), Audyssey and Anthem's ARC. RP has been the only room correction system that has worked for me on music and movies in my room and system.

Hope this helps.

advertisement

Back