advertisement

The Coffee Thread

Hello everyone!
Does anyone here do coffee while camping? I mean do you use any special devices? I consider buying a portable coffee maker. In a shop I was recommended to take a Presto MyJo coffee maker. But I'm not sure if it's really worth it. Maybe you know something better.

Hello everyone!
Does anyone here do coffee while camping? I mean do you use any special devices? I consider buying a portable coffee maker. In a shop I was recommended to take a Presto MyJo coffee maker. But I'm not sure if it's really worth it. Maybe you know something better.

what sort of drink? pour over? espresso? or something in between?

- V60 or Chemex nice and simple for pour over
- Aeropress espresso like
- Wacaco Nanopresso- close to an espresso
- other travel lever espresso machines

Portable hand grinder? Porlex is ok for pour over less sp for espresso.

Budget?

The one you link to seems to use the K Cup system so you could cater for a selection of various coffees and hot chocolates.
For just coffee I would in preference use an aeropress, you can leave the kit at home and just bring coffee grounds, reusable stainless filter and plunger and body which fit together when packed to save space.
John

Hello everyone!
Yes. I have a plastic cup with a cafetiere style plunger. Take the plunger out, add coffee, add water, replace the plunger but don't push it down. Wait 2 minutes, push it down. Drink your coffee. It's unbreakable, simple and makes good cafetiere style coffee.

Yes. I have a plastic cup with a cafetiere style plunger. Take the plunger out, add coffee, add water, replace the plunger but don't push it down. Wait 2 minutes, push it down. Drink your coffee. It's unbreakable, simple and makes good cafetiere style coffee.

yes I forgot the simplicity of a portable French press

I also have a small cafetiere in stainless steel, holds about 1/2 pint, so 2 cups or 1 mugful. I also have a hand grinder if I can be bothered, which usually I can't so I buy ground coffee.

Hello everyone!

We took the aeropress on a camping adventure. Robust and up to the job.

I look to Nescafé Instant. Beats most designer coffees, plus you can use the bouilloire to reheat soups, rice and so on.

Step away from the coffee, Derek...

I normally only drink one cup of coffee a day and that's it; a good coffee in the morning along with a couple of Biscoff biscuits. Easy peasy. Sorted. But I felt so tired earlier this afternoon that I made myself an emergency, second cup of coffee to get me going again... and not for the first time did I find myself whizzing down a coffee-fueled rabbit hole in search of this and that. As such, I've just spent the last two hours looking for a new flat or a new house when the fact is, I can't afford to move, I don't need to move and, more to the point, I don't want to move!

I may well have gotten a boost after the coffee but I wouldn't be surprised if I pay for it tomorrow with a lack of sleep tonight. Seriously, Derek, step away from the coffee!

Thing to remember with coffee is you feel the delta. So drink less than normal you will feel still asleep, more than normal you will feel wired. So drink the same amount each day to feel normal.

Thing to remember with coffee is you feel the delta. So drink less than normal you will feel still asleep, more than normal you will feel wired. So drink the same amount each day to feel normal.

I'm normally a once a day guy, just one cup in the morning and that's it, so by having another cup in the afternoon I effectively doubled my usual daily dose of caffeine. Suffice to say, I had a rough night in bed as expected and fingers crossed, it'll be a long time before I have two cups in one day again!

I'm normally a once a day guy, just one cup in the morning and that's it, so by having another cup in the afternoon I effectively doubled my usual daily dose of caffeine. Suffice to say, I had a rough night in bed as expected and fingers crossed, it'll be a long time before I have two cups in one day again!
Ah, but two cups a day is your new normal. ;) The delta would be to revert to one, which clearly will be undesirable if you’re already feeling lethargic...

Ah, but two cups a day is your new normal. ;) The delta would be to revert to one, which clearly will be undesirable if you’re already feeling lethargic...

Back to one a day, it is - I don't want to go through that again for as long as possible. One of my mates has just gone from 6-8 big strong cups of coffee a day to none and I'd hate to find myself on the slippery slope towards that much coffee a day. That said, I'm more than prepared to increase my Biscoff intake if needs be to ease the transition back one a day be so it ain't all bad ;0)

about 4 a day here - pourover in the morning, and then maybe three double espresso's throughout the day.

advertisement

Back