advertisement

B & O to re-launch tangential turntables.....

BTW have you come across Holbo? You might want to check them out. Not only do they make an advanced air bearing turntable but also a tangential air bearing tonearm with reported high end performance, and all for £4000 less than this B&O refurbishment costs. The Holbo will take any high end cartridge made today, unlike the B&O 4000...

There is also Bergmann who make similar designs but a little more expensive...
I don't own or want a TT. I just always loved the look of the B&O linear tracking decks. I'd love to have a Beogram 4500 for my Beosystem 4500 but it would be a display piece since I don't have any records.

I have had one of these beautiful objects and still kick myself for selling it.
Totally reliable, if a bit reluctant to play 12” singles at 45rpm, but that was almost 40 years ago....

The R&D cost of developing a modern equivalent of the Beogram 4500 would probably be astronomical. Given the recent financial problems B&O have faced + the uncertainty of future sales of vinyl (passing fad or here to stay?) what B&O have done seems to me to be an entirely sensible & pragmatic way of dipping a toe in the water to gauge demand.
TS

Oh! :eek:
How old are you? :rolleyes:
Early 40s. When I was in school I totally obsessed over B&O gear. McIntosh and Krell very mysterious and desirable as well. But I couldn't afford any of it... Still, the B&O of the late 80's to mid 90's were my favorite electronics designs I'd ever seen in terms of aesthetics and interface.

BTW have you come across Holbo? You might want to check them out. Not only do they make an advanced air bearing turntable but also a tangential air bearing tonearm with reported high end performance, and all for £4000 less than this B&O refurbishment costs. The Holbo will take any high end cartridge made today, unlike the B&O 4000...

There is also Bergmann who make similar designs but a little more expensive...

I bought a Holbo a couple of years ago and love it. A very fine sounding deck, mine being a bit hampered by a very entry level cartridge, still sounds darned good in spite of that. I can only imagine what could be wrought out of it with top flight cartridge and phono stage. Someday, maybe....

Reactions: GT
I borrowed a Beogram (can't remember the model but ~1974) from a local dealer (back in the days when even a small town had some sort of HiFi shop). Its sound was best described as adequate. Returned it & bought a Technics turntable (SL110) with a Shure V15 MkIII on an SME3009 arm that sounded much better.
My brother told me that he managed to get the arm to lower onto the ribbed platter without an LP!

My brother told me that he managed to get the arm to lower onto the ribbed platter without an LP!

Yes, they do that occasionally! All it means is that the platter isn’t starting up quickly enough for the optical sensor to register the pattern of the ribs passing under them. A new belt cures it.

Ah, the parallel tracking TT. I had one of those in the 80s. A Pioneer PL-L1000A to be exact. It used optical sensors to adjust the position of the marginally pivoted, sled mounted arm. It worked OK, in a fashion. I don't think the theoretical advantage (zero tracking error) out-weighed the practical limitations (manual cueing off the cards) and compromises (interface rigidity, sled-bearing play, etc.)

I'd settle for a 12" pivoted arm as a better compromise.

I read someplace that B&O May be resurrecting some other vintage items in this manner. These sure look cool but as I’m unfamiliar with other B&O products, can you think of any others that deserve a reboot?

I keep a very nicely running pivoted BO table in my HT system...the one with the built-in light.

However, my choice for a convenient and great sounding vintage linear tracker is Sony PS-FL77 - compact, stackable, very reliable and has the Biotracer arm. Lots of great vintage P-mount carts still available, as well!

Last edited:
I read someplace that B&O May be resurrecting some other vintage items in this manner. These sure look cool but as I’m unfamiliar with other B&O products, can you think of any others that deserve a reboot?
The 1967 Beolab 5000. The jewel in B&O’s crown.

The 1967 Beolab 5000. The jewel in B&O’s crown.

Ah, the first slider rule design!!

In 1967 you could still buy one of these:

VINTAGE_DANISH_TEAK_HIFI_BANG__as693a040z.jpg

Just market it as 'WiFi' and 'Wireless' and with modern stuff inside.

Hi Adam,
Yes, you're probably right, I've heard of that too.
Still waiting for Tim's review of the BM 8000 in HFN&RR :D

My money would be on CX50s or CX100s somewhere down the line.
Especially if they would make it a little active system with optical/airplay/bluetooth input. HifiBerry has already done the work (https://www.hifiberry.com/beocreate/). It's a single board 4 channel amp/DAC/DSP that can connect to an RPi for an all in one setup, and is designed to be installed inside one of the speakers. They have made DSP profiles for the CX100, CX50, etc.

It's really tempting to try this with my CX100s, but they're in excellent shape and it would be a shame to trash the crossovers and DIN connectors. It's a somewhat irreversible process. I'd love to hear them with some DSP/correction.

advertisement

Back