advertisement

John Lennon 80

I’ve got the first solo album lined up. His death made a huge impact at the time as I’d been listening to him since the first Beatle’s single.

80?! Jesus, was he the oldest Beatle?

No, Ringo was born three months earlier.

I’m listening to the Lennon Plastic Ono Band album and to be honest I’m getting a bit emotional - not something I was expecting when I put it on. I’ve owned the album for the best part of 50 years and after a quick spin through the RCM it sounds as good as new.

Jeez, ‘My Mummy’s Dead’ has me in tears.

No, Ringo was born three months earlier.

I’m listening to the Lennon Plastic Ono Band album and to be honest I’m getting a bit emotional - not something I was expecting when I put it on. I’ve owned the album for the best part of 50 years and after a quick spin through the RCM it sounds as good as new.

Jeez, ‘My Mummy’s Dead’ has me in tears.
Have a listen to Donny Hathaway doing Jealous Guy; that will cheer you up.

Listened to the new “Gimme some truth” compilation earlier. whilst nowhere near his Beatles output it’s still quite a lot of great songs to get through in effectively 6 years.

the one that gets me is “beautiful boy”. Imagine Seán listening to this?

.sjb

We were on our Honeymoon in Spain when he was murdered, my wife and I were sitting in a bar in Torremolinos when the barman told us Lennon had just been shot (don't think that he was actually dead at that point).

We were the only customers as it was late in the evening and we were in that Honeymoon world but were soon jolted back to reality that night.

We just finished our drinks and went back to the hotel stunned.

I heard 'Woman' on the radio this morning, what a song.

Funnily enough on the morning of my daughter's graduation back in 2009 Michael Jackson was reported dead on the news when we turned on the TV in the hotel room.

I can’t help thinking John would be far less revered were he still alive. At the time of his death his career was in decline - his recently released comeback album had had poor reviews and had stalled in the charts. It wasn’t until after his murder that it became a best-seller and award-winner. (Source - Wikipedia). And of course it wasn’t until after his death that the media decided that the real Lennon wrote ‘Give Peace a Chance’ and ‘Imagine’ and glossed over ‘Working Class Hero’ and ‘Gimme Some Truth’.

Also - and I can’t think of a delicate way to put this - he wasn’t give the chance to allow his reputation to be tarnished by a further 40 years of mediocre recordings, as his ex-writing partner has been.

And yes, I remember vividly waking up to hear the news of his death, and being deeply affected by it. Tonight I’m listening to Bill Frisell’s ‘All We Are Saying’.

I can’t help thinking John would be far less revered were he still alive. At the time of his death his career was in decline - his recently released comeback album had had poor reviews and had stalled in the charts. It wasn’t until after his murder that it became a best-seller and award-winner. (Source - Wikipedia). And of course it wasn’t until after his death that the media decided that the real Lennon wrote ‘Give Peace a Chance’ and ‘Imagine’ and glossed over ‘Working Class Hero’ and ‘Gimme Some Truth’.

Also - and I can’t think of a delicate way to put this - he wasn’t give the chance to allow his reputation to be tarnished by a further 40 years of mediocre recordings, as his ex-writing partner has been.

And yes, I remember vividly waking up to hear the news of his death, and being deeply affected by it. Tonight I’m listening to Bill Frisell’s ‘All We Are Saying’.
What a load of total crap, he was only 40, who knows what else he would have done? Double Fantasy wasn’t amazing but so what, he earned the right to produce the odd dud & be less consistent. Most fans just wish he was still around regardless of his output.

Paul McCartney is still alive & rather revered.

The fact that all the Beatles' best recordings were behind them by the time Lennon was shot in 1980 is kind of irrelevant at this remove.

Caught Hard Days Night on BBC 4 last night and, although it predated my birth by only 8 years, it seemed like a transmission from a completely different world and the fact that the John in this film was only 4 years away from recording 'Two Virgins' was mind blowing.

I have an idea for a novell where an old guy in Liverpool, since long a pensioner, sits at home, occasionally singing a song or two of his own. In his youth was with a band that had a single or two out on the Decca label, but certainly no hit.
During the 60's he and his pal Paul worked in Londom making songs for commercial jingles, not very well payed.
One day, after much deliberation and a long time of nagging by his grand daughter, he decides to try for 'Britain Got Talent' where he sings songs like 'Imagine', 'Norwegian Woods' and 'Hey Bulldog'. Instant hit!

Artists tend to get more revered the longer they live. Also, a degree of distance lends perspective. The Beatles were probably at their lowest ebb in terms of ‘cool’ in the 80s but it all turned round by the 90s & the anthology series, their ‘capital’ has not really fallen since.

Lennon would have popped out the odd good tune & the world would have been better for him still being around. As I’ve got older I’ve grown to appreciate how difficult it must continue to be for his offspring, especially Sean.

John used to have NME delivered by airmail each week when he lived at The Dakota in New York. He liked the mag and wrote on the Gasgag page four times using the name Dr Winston O'Boogie.

He also used to send postcards to journalists in the UK, if he knew them, to let them know was going on.

Jack

As I’ve got older I’ve grown to appreciate how difficult it must continue to be for his offspring, especially Sean.

There are a series of interviews on BBC Sounds (originally Radio 2) where he's talking with Elton John, Julian and Paul McCartney. Sean comes across as a pretty level headed sort of guy. It sounds like Julian may have had a difficult childhood - as in it being announced to the entire school that Julian Lennon, son of John, was starting.

advertisement

Back