advertisement

Re-proofing Gore-tex

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Any hints and tips on re-proofing Gore-tex?

I bought a good (well expensive) Spray Way jacket and berghaus trousers about a year ago and have got totally soaked twice lately.

I did wash them in Nik Wax tech wash but searching seems to imply there is a bit more to it than that. I need a waterproofed spray or liquid as well. I think they may be worse since the wash actually.

So what’s my best way to get them back to their waterproof glory?

Thanks,

John

.sjb

Best way to apply external waterproofing if hang the item outdoors and spray liberally. It may not work perfectly though- if you’re getting wet in a gortex item, that suggests the membrane has failed. Typically happens at seams. I spent a day in the rain in a very old gortex jacket this week and got soaked to the skin in places.

After you've washed in the Techwash, use Nikwax TX to proof it - either wash the jacket in it or you can spray it on - spray on whilst the jacket is still wet.
Works well for me.

Washing goretex isn't great news. Did you ensure that no traces of normal detergent were left over? Reproofing is fraught too. A cool iron on the outside *sometimes* restores the outer coating.

I never wash goretex.

we never wash Gortex either. The waterproofing from Gortex mainly comes from its weave. Once the weave opens up with use, it wont be waterproof.

Goretex itself cannot be reproofed, it was never "proofed" at any stage, so you cannot redo what was never done. Its structure makes it waterproof, if it is no longer waterproof, the structure has been damaged, which cannot be repaired.

Take a look on Wikipedia to understand how it works, which is mainly a consequence of its micro-structure.

If the membrane is damaged, there's no way back. But you say the items are just a year old; I would have thought that Gore-Tex was more durable than that. Might be worth trying for a warranty claim. Are the garments in one of Gore-Tex's ultra lightweight variants, which I guess are not intended for long life?

If a Gore-Tex garment gets dirty this can reduce its breathability, leading to condensation forming, which makes it feel like it's leaking. As others have said, the NikWax products are good for cleaning Gore-Tex.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

05. HOW OFTEN CAN I WASH MY GORE-TEX® GARMENT?
Wash your garment as often as you need to. In fact, washing and tumble drying will actually help restore the water repellency performance of a GORE-TEX® garment.

06. WHY DO I NEED TO USE A WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT ON MY GORE-TEX® PRODUCT?
Gore shell fabrics, the outermost fabric layer of a GORE-TEX® garment, are treated with an ultra thin polymer coating known as DWR, or durable water repellent. This coating causes water to bead up and roll off the outer layer of fabric, instead of being absorbed. Water repellent outer fabric provides additional insulation and prevents liquid from saturating your garment's outer fabric, a condition known as "wet out" that can make you feel damp and clammy. Your garment may even feel like it's leaking, although it's not. Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, and other impurities, causes DWR failure. The effective life of the DWR depends upon how you care for your garment and how rigorously it is used. The most effective way to maintain your garment's water and stain repellency is to wash, rinse, and put it in your dryer. Keep it clean! Be sure to read the care tag in your garment for specific instructions.

07. HOW CAN I RESTORE MY GARMENT'S WATER REPELLENCY?
You can totally restore the water repellency (DWR) by using a topical DWR treatment product for outdoor fabrics, available at outdoor retail stores. (Note: We do not recommend wash in treatments.) These special treatments help maintain and restore the DWR on the outer shell fabric of the product so that it remains water and stain repellent. Anyone can properly maintain the DWR. When water no longer beads on your garment's outer fabric, simply apply a topical DWR treatment product according to its directions.

08. IT FEELS AS IF THERE COULD BE SOME LEAKS IN MY GORE-TEX® GARMENT.
If the inside of your GORE-TEX® garment feels damp, a leak could be the problem, or it could be time to renew the durable water-repellent (DWR) waterproofing. As the waterproofing on the outer material starts to wear off with increasing garment age, leaks can develop, particularly in the shoulder and upper back areas. Even though the inside layer of GORE-TEX® remains watertight, liquid can then be sucked into the outside material, creating a feeling of dampness and causing a loss of heat. See the section on renewing the waterproofing.

09. WHY DO GORE-TEX® GARMENTS NEED SEAM TAPE?
Seam tape is used to seal the tiny holes created by sewing when GORE-TEX® fabric is made into garments. These holes may be small, but they can cause leaks. We specially manufacture our own GORE-SEAM® Tape and regulate the seam taping process to ensure compatibility with our fabrics and ensure the durability of seam waterproofness.

we never wash Gortex either. The waterproofing from Gortex mainly comes from its weave. Once the weave opens up with use, it wont be waterproof.
Gore-tex is not woven - it is a PTFE film which is stretched, such that a series of micropores is created. Because of its high surface tension, water droplets have a certain minimum size, and because the pores are smaller than this size, water cannot pass through. On the other hand, water in the form of vapour can pass through, hence the breathability. Any weave comes from the fabric to which the PTFE membrane must be laminated to give it sufficient strength (it simply isn't strong enough on its own). As other folk have said, if the membrane fails, that's the end. The weak points are the seams, which is why they're often welded.

I've had Berghaus Goretex jackets for years. Cool wash, non-bio detergent, rinse well. Put on a hanger and whilst still wet spray with Nikwax re-proofer. A quick cool tumble dry at the end will raise the pile on the surface and this helps water roll off too.
For me they last about five years before the membrane breaks down at the shoulders and elbows usually.

Someone with first-hand experience, who is saying broadly what I have been led to believe over the years. In short - excellent but short-lived, and hence expensive if you pay full whack (tip - buy Craghoppers Gore-Tex in a sale, which happens with extreme regularity - my kiwi 3-in-1 cost me £80 instead of something like £240).

For me they last about five years before the membrane breaks down at the shoulders and elbows usually.

What sort of use do your jackets get? Used routinely whenever they are needed, just for weekend meanders, just regular weekends away walking?

Someone with first-hand experience, who is saying broadly what I have been led to believe over the years. In short - excellent but short-lived, and hence expensive if you pay full whack (tip - buy Craghoppers Gore-Tex in a sale, which happens with extreme regularity - my kiwi 3-in-1 cost me £80 instead of something like £240).

What sort of use do your jackets get? Used routinely whenever they are needed, just for weekend meanders, just regular weekends away walking?

I wear mine most of the autumn and winter months, with a fleece under it, (I have no interest in looking fashionable:D) I enjoy regular walking, but not always with a rucksack, which will IME accelerate wear at the shoulders. I recently bought a replacement Cornice, my third, for £129 quid online from Blacks. List price is about £220 I think. My old one will now be a gardening and outdoor diy jacket.

My main use is for not getting wet when cycling to work. The jacket needs to be in my rucksack to be brought out when it rains.

Second use is to be able to get a walk in each evening In inclement weather if necessary for my mental health. Got f**king soaked last night!

I remember cycling in Kerry 40 years ago in 2 weeks rain and remaining dry. It seems breathability comes at a cost.

.sjb

OR....

Chuck out the Gore-Tex and buy a wax jacket.
I've had my Barbour for years and its still waterproof but can be re-waxed if necessary.

I was going to mention....but thought better of it. Barbour jackets are all but indestructible if looked after, many who work outdoors all year will not wear one out totally in an entire working life. But they have plenty of drawbacks too.

Horses for courses.

It seems breathability comes at a cost.

Try Craghopper AquaDry. Claimed to be breathable, I have two and they seem fine, but I haven't had them long enough to give a decent verdict - at sale prices - £20 or so - I bought them from new for general outdoor work and local meanderings. Best guess - by no means as waterproof as new Gore-Tex, but mostly good enough.

Or go back to what you wore in Kerry, 40 years ago.

advertisement

Back