advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
No wonder Angela is having meetings with Barnier, German car exports to UK 22.7 billion Euros, imports from the UK 4.2 billion Euros.

Germany is not the EU.
They may only export 20 million to the other 6 countries shown in the graph but you may have missed from my earlier post that the UK accounts for only 11.7% of EU car exports:

"less than 3 out of 10 cars made in the EU are exported (27.4%), with roughly one third of total exports heading to the UK (or 11.7% of total production)"

32.jpg

31.jpg

^ I wonder why UK car sales to the EU dropped so much in 2016 onwards after increasing for previous 4 years ?

Possibly. Or people in the EU saying FU too.
Land Rover sales in Europe are flat between 2015 and 2019 and Jaguar sales are up by 20% (largely due to the XE model arriving in that period), and this was a period where the domestic UK car market slumped, hitting JLR worse than others. MINI sales of all models are up 20% from end of 2015 to end of 2019, and that’s a brand that’s so British that it has the Union Flag drawn on its rear lights (a decidedly tacky touch, I think, but a consequence of making design decisions in the part of the world that gave the world the word kitsch).

So, if the European customer has a problem with British cars, this isn’t showing in the sales figures. What is happening is that while “British” brands like Jaguar-Land Rover are continuing to sell cars, the foreign companies that own them have either scaled back UK production or shifted more production out of the UK (to Slovakia in the case of JLR) in preparation for Brexit.

Land Rover sales in Europe are flat between 2015 and 2019 and Jaguar sales are up by 20% (largely due to the XE model arriving in that period), and this was a period where the domestic UK car market slumped, hitting JLR worse than others. MINI sales of all models are up 20% from end of 2015 to end of 2019, and that’s a brand that’s so British that it has the Union Flag drawn on its rear lights (a decidedly tacky touch, I think, but a consequence of making design decisions in the part of the world that gave the world the word kitsch).

So, if the European customer has a problem with British cars, this isn’t showing in the sales figures. What is happening is that while “British” brands like Jaguar-Land Rover are continuing to sell cars, the foreign companies that own them have either scaled back UK production or shifted more production out of the UK (to Slovakia in the case of JLR) in preparation for Brexit.

I agree.

I don't think that Europeans will stop buying (foreigner-owned) British-branded cars because of BrExit anymore than they stopped buying VAG cars after the emissions scandal.

On Sunak;

For people like Johnson, that's still the background of an oik...

Odd thing to say. Johnson isn't a toff in the mold of Cameron & Osborne. His father was an economist and a banker, his mother an artist. Sunak's parents were/are a GP and a Pharmacist. Educationally their schools/universities are also cut from the same top-end cloth. They both emanate from the broad sweep of the mid-classes.

Oik can be used to describe, say, Etonians on a rampage — it’s lost a lot of lower-class implication since the Bullingdon/Eaton and Chauvinist clubs enjoyed notoriety following the Thatcher years.

...another problem is the coring out of the middle classes. Whereas many people might consider themselves middle class they are in fact working class with many more now precariat as wage slows and job prospects stalling and so on. There’s a lot of right wing gaslighting going on here because without aspirational class hopping, hope for a nouveau riche happy ending for the proletariat — if you just work hard enough — then the system is pretty much ****ed, but I’m a firm believer that the middle classes are an economic demographic in steep decline.

On Sunak;

Odd thing to say. Johnson isn't a toff in the mold of Cameron & Osborne. His father was an economist and a banker, his mother an artist. Sunak's parents were/are a GP and a Pharmacist. Educationally their schools/universities are also cut from the same top-end cloth. They both emanate from the broad sweep of the mid-classes.

Eton and Winchester must be the two most expensive, most prestigious schools in the country.

On Sunak;

I'll give you the Cameron/Osborne comment—but I suspect Johnson's attitude to people of colour is more important, despite Sunak's academic background.

Stephen

Last edited:
Neither, but there will be give and take.

Here's a give:

Boris Johnson set for compromise on Human Rights Act – EU sources
UK prepared to retain act in order to secure security ties with EU, sources say

Boris Johnson is prepared to make a major compromise to secure security ties with the EU by pledging in a deal on the future relationship not to rip up the Human Rights Act.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ake-compromise-on-human-rights-act-eu-sources

EU’s top court questions legality of UK phone and internet data surveillance. Johnson and his goons have been breaking the law spying on you. https://www.computerweekly

"The UK’s mass collection and analysis of the population’s telephone, email and web browsing data has been called into question by Europe’s top court."

France and Belgium have been doing the same thing.

The English are taking control and don't give a monkey's about your privacy.

Jack

Wot abaht `arrow then?

A fellow ex-pupil of my school, now dead, who was giving the speech at a particularly well-attended 'old boy's' lunch in the City some years ago, observed that the only place in which you would find a similarly large concentration of Old Etonians would be in the Houses of Parliament, and of Old Harrovians in one or the other of Her Majesty's prisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back