advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

Yeah, it's Valchromat, it's as close as I could get to the original look James created out of stuff I could cut on the CNC table

Hey all,

Sorry for lack of proper comms, I ha some unexpected health issues that took quite a bit of time up, all good(ish) now though.

Still waiting for the drivers which is becoming slightly irksome now. For those of you who are just having crossover parts, I have packed them up this morning for you and have sent invoices for the shipping.

Over the course of this week I will make the crossovers for those who are having them built or at least make a start. I'll also glue up some boxes so you can see how to best do it.

@James,c ould you repost the free space XO, It's not there anymore and I didn't save it. I need to build one of these for the GBs.

Cheers

I think this is it.
ACtC-3dqL-V6dMf5CMQxhpt9A6fasMvOcDg-viq_hN31LShDOG1Z5wO0pq2r4Kj07SaGsvpTdMWRrFwfjRwgq5X01yaQ8o0anX_RiF7XiE64Rx7kQuEqpQADGH4fciSSbF3tVN0yLM6nMHIU8t-g-4BNDYRR=w679-h377-no

oHzgj6AkNHH0qqDqTWEodyG6GBPWvFj_3_H5Ht8YDADUF2-kYrVzMAj0wUnUy2glsGp9U-ixk-5jWgwjz9eW_WTzTJ9j8eT9bL5hq3d9nzmTjn8s5ZHAHePJFiURbZsTKKSUo6lVgquqJH8192g3fxzuF4pXGvnIF8NcG2z5JJjqnIZbqsGXVYUhAKuvLlvJNdrN9jDK9Y2GCnZMtAHOQ6ycQ5q93eYYB-v3fx13bQfEzNu7gPmWsJ3TeFdubF3L0pWts-XhbdAqTGW-6cgnxn5ewFiisr8ma0SYHf8dzkMfvaZeCDdr0vnXOuVdXDfKd-M2JOs6ZZhtqVIqF4ZUSLyjSIw8xiiKi2_Jdi57L4E-5bw3CAjTOEHu5ln4tATNjuYwR7iljhuLT_LFh9XiISkO1w4fPJff0V29XOX8VZrZ12pdPAPJ77VN03Q_Wie38uVuUSW3PYijm4akK3iRd28iPoVLcxeGbbudFfpa48Vz5jn4Ar7mZik-loNSTjV8gKjlPzqRJ4WaktKcW50c1V6jVGxK31hrmsuK5Oziv8FjZ88MrDisRgHkkI-eowtiGgnBdyMpTh7OjtcmlmMlGf6GNsWGl0mEj3e6PNZU4Wagfl_hzI99EU8mw_hncpLWjI9V3pMiTAkq8fPAZNBfwf4WN53NDaycg5PSLdPAT87TRkbA0QKfP5POyDkA=w679-h377-no

Here is how I laid it out.
pgilFMgqnoeUSi8OopIXr5I2iLZgP_ggyxJzsY91ETZ5esNNrFFUdMvTpnL3zlr8_XqKDOSEN3yiE8oTrW3_J0_GVoJi-EKzYwIKe2l80jviSKG2UpNLuUkuiPDR7qdsHdbG_AUlGBYgdf9oc7ga0kX21iiKPrF4eYttXeArdpreLarKaMxMG51Dw8untnWsGpClr9b_HJbF_RYUPvaeJ68XzOljwFA2YP4nWZ8WUCDdAb7-d4JIPaiWWjIC-Of9C-mE8iuWaRIdY1J68k3VmsvK1ByT6TUWauZgJLPTuaYjYj0qwISX_q-_r3t_ty2FT4Q0ax4ZJVEgf_PzG0f9MHOmycpFIwKL_Jf391YDoBEUZppDr7Ba_0EECsgaWz3_gMD7w8Opi5uLzhj0VtzVjmmBvNp1yK5V7Z8Zsf-LNKVfd7Cg5sX5AUBi9jfb-caIZIri18UMi9KIbHDpC2YLYIKvNWFsixkmXF_pSuFP4Y1J66iU7nG-ve5-8WcZEW4dN_aL9DzLu8vWpxukiASQooXHeZy7kx7AXBC-SUzJOyH1SEUHhtlvcw7XzXxi1QawF8uAdNxBIYOuOzbHjVZ-TfPtz1quoby_BKnKI6BJ7x5ApQmJGwU86updj8XInaQtJF6UWWCm1MLnbyponhIXHwgsBabE-NHho15uB241Xl98EqSS5vEKyHIE4qw=w874-h728-no

ACtC-3c0-gzKghcVAM3BS872BSMfDNC2WwWX8XrfZMeUjMyis9XvxgSJjCYDs_HFUEUXnHibF75vNKsgznpAO88Loi4yOy9ja4_vGM9AkVrBMZ63_kTPDvQ5z_2f7yyxedda4tk7IOolymxy5UFUyRodnGMi=w874-h728-no

I think I've used 8 or 9R for R2011. That is about the only tweakable value to suit listener's taste for HF energy.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread, but I have a pair of James's early Ergo IXs cabinets and crossovers. They are nice speakers. Actually, mine are probably an early crossover design which was later improved with a capacitor change that mine don't have (yet). Anyway, a friend helped me put them together (I bought the cabinets and crossovers from someone who James had made them for) and there is just a folded piece of polystyrene formboard for dampening in the cabinets. My friend insisted this was best. I've always wondered about his thinking on this and whether I am getting the most out of them. I didn't agree with him at the time, but he was helping me out. Should I change this and stuff them with rockwool or such? Perhaps I should also get that capacitor changed on the crossover too?

Last edited:
The videos will save me hours and plenty of stress! The tape looks like a great idea - where can I get some?

It's just eco packing tape but any non stretchy, silicone adhesive based tape will work OK. The more expensive decorating tapes from your local DIY store are fine for this.

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread, but I have a pair of James's early Ergo IXs cabinets and crossovers. They are nice speakers. Actually, mine are probably an early crossover design which was later improved with a capacitor change that mine don't have (yet). Anyway, a friend helped me put them together (I bought the cabinets and crossovers from someone who James had made them for) and there is just a folded piece of polystyrene formboard for dampening in the cabinets. My friend insisted this was best. I've always wondered about his thinking on this and whether I am getting the most out of them. I didn't agree with him at the time, but he was helping me out. Should I change this and stuff them with rockwool or such? Perhaps I should also get that capacitor changed on the crossover too?
Deffo should be lightly stuffed with fibreglass batts / rockwool.

I personally use polyester wadding instead of rockwool as it's what I stock and in the UK you have to have a license to sell rockwool. They are very similar in use apart from the horrid itching!

Made some crappy mobile phone videos so those of you who are building the boxes can see how they go together. Forgive the quality :(
Nowt wrong with the quality of instruction I have to say. These videos will be immensely helpful for those not accustomed to dowel/screw-less flatpack assembly. I've always found mitred joints a bit tricky, especially with solid timbers that can twist or warp overnight with the slightest change in humidity. Using plywood and CNC cutting certainly helps. I wish everyone building success and listening joy with their E-IXs.

advertisement

Back