advertisement

Discogs - Shipping Policies - How to Create them?

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
I have been selling on Discogs for quite a while.

I am not a large online record store, just sticking stuff on there I don't want anymore. I also sell expensive records that come to me via Headway brain injury charity. I tried putting them in the charity shop, and they get pinched.

I have spent many hours reading the guidelines and watching the 'How to' videos but they just confuse me.

I like to adjust the postage to the buyers requests, but most of all I like to alter the postage to compensate for loss or damage. Basic postage only covers up to £20. Many of the records I sell are £50 or more.
Therefore one price for L.P's or 12" singles is no good, same with 7" singles, i.e. one 7" might cost £2, but another might cost £30... one price doesn't work.

The only thing I can think to do, is to deal only with U.K. buyers and make all postage free.
That means going through all of the records I have for sale (about 300) and adding the postage to the cost of the record, and altering the comments on each record... (ballsache)

I have emailed Discogs for help, but I am not hopeful of a useful reply.
There is a lot of support in the discogs policy section, but none of it is any use to me.

I am not expecting any help on pfm, but it would be useful to know that other folk are struggling to understand the shipping policy hoodiddy as well...

I have stuck my head in the sand on this one. If Discogs make it too difficult to sell I simply won’t use them.

Yes, I understand that point of view.

Maybe it isn't difficult, I just don't understand.

I think I am sure, but some discog sellers on higherr priced stuff offer insured deliveries, etc.

I have only emailed them a few times and although they can take an age to reply have dealt with my issues

I think I am sure, but some discog sellers on higherr priced stuff offer insured deliveries, etc.

I have only emailed them a few times and although they can take an age to reply have dealt with my issues

I will only send expensive records with the appropriate postage that includes insurance to cover loss.

The question is, how to set that in a policy?

Did you ask on the Discogs forum as there must be loads of users with the same issue - https://www.discogs.com/forum/recent

There is no point.

There are endless threads with the same problem as I am having.

It is reassuring that there are many others who are in the same position as myself.

Making all sales free postage and adding the cost to price of the record looks like the only choice I have apart from stopping selling. And making all sales U.K. only.

Such a shame.

I’ve definitely ordered stuff off discogs that had no stated postage price but said something like “the vendor will contact you with a total cost” (I’m very much paraphrasing there). So maybe you can do it that way?

I’ve definitely ordered stuff off discogs that had no stated postage price but said something like “the vendor will contact you with a total cost” (I’m very much paraphrasing there). So maybe you can do it that way?

No, that is ending.

Hence this thread...

Ruddy hell fire.

I have just spent all day making all my stuff postage free, but adding to the price of each individual item and altering the pigging comments for each record...

My back is killing me, my head hurts.

I’m another that may be ditching Discogs soon. The new shipping policy is a nightmare and I’m really not sure why they’ve introduced it.

It is a shame, I think many small time sellers will stop using Discogs.

If you have 100 ish listed to sell, it doesn't take too long to sort.

Like I said, I have cut down to U.K. sales only and made all shipping free, but added the cost individually to each record. A ballsache, but the simplest thing I could think of.
There might well be an easy way, I just couldn't identify it.

I think people like postage included in the price. They see a price which they like and no add ons. They are more inlined to purchase.
That’s fine if you are just selling to the UK. Most of my sales are EU or US & Canada. No way can I include postage in the price:(

That’s fine if you are just selling to the UK. Most of my sales are EU or US & Canada. No way can I include postage in the price:(

Yes, I get that. You would think they would have some kind of formula for a seller to nominate a shipping company and the prices to be calculated on the buyers location / basket content.

Yes, I get that. You would think they would have some kind of formula for a seller to nominate a shipping company and the prices to be calculated on the buyers location / basket content.

You would think that as it wasn't broken, why mess with it? But they have.

I used to sell (almost) worldwide, now it is just U.K.

What the new shipping policy takes away is the option of interaction between buyer and seller, the buyer may want a particularly fast delivery for example, if the record is for a gift.

I had a DJ want something very quickly, so I was able to respond with the appropriate postage method.. There is no opportunity for that now.

It takes away the interaction and makes the whole process more automated.

A failure of modern life.

I don't sell much on Discogs but yeah, this was really confusing to set up, especially as Royal Mail have just upped their prices and added an extra world zone for central USA which is way more expensive. I don't expect to sell anything outside Europe any more.

It's also a seriously flawed system. I have a big fancy UNKLE box set with a 7" and figure up for sale and it's down on Discogs as 60g.

advertisement

Back