advertisement

2020 New Album Recommendations

Zakk Sabbath - Vertigo.
Finding it very interesting. Can't recall any other album where an artist has covered a whole album and covers are often going through the motions. But this is special: Zakk Wylde has tried to provide a different look at it. Some are saying its pointless, but with classical music alternative visions are where it is at. No streaming version. Recommended.
OIP.8kuMUBlsjPbTeJ-uYrVH1gHaHa

Found the Doves album a little underwhelming on first hearing, bought it on vinyl & probably not the best in terms of SQ

Wilma Archer ‘A Western Circular’. (Jazz and Soul vibe)

Within A Western Circular lies an exciting and varied crew of guest artists including MF DOOM, Samuel T. Herring (Future Islands), Sudan Archives, and Laura Groves, all contributing vocals to Wilma Archer's rich, dextrous compositions. Supple and multi-layered, honouring his acoustic heritage and influence, A Western Circular builds a sonic universe that commands contemporary references to everything from Frank Zappa to Yasuaki Shimuzu, Robert Wyatt to Arthur Russell.

I've been really enjoying this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thurston Moore - By The Fire.

At once sounds brand new and innovative, but also as though a familiar classic.

Album of the year?

Wow, never heard of this chap. Loving this album already. Thanks for the heads up. Ironically I can't seem to remember what song the guitar playing on the first track (Hashish) reminds me of. Must be the red seal.

Wow, never heard of this chap. Loving this album already. Thanks for the heads up. Ironically I can't seem to remember what song the guitar playing on the first track (Hashish) reminds me of. Must be the red seal.

Thurston Moore was out of Sonic Youth....

Must get my TT set up, got 10 albums I’ve not listened to yet and the new Bill Callahan is top of the pile. I’ve deliberately avoided listening to it on Spotify.

Cheers BB

Must get my TT set up, got 10 albums I’ve not listened to yet and the new Bill Callahan is top of the pile. I’ve deliberately avoided listening to it on Spotify.

Cheers BB

I'm the same, 10-15 still unopened, haven't even turned the Hi-Fi on in about 2 months.

The Pineapple Thief 'new' album - 'Versions Of The Truth' will be very high in my album of the year list.
So well crafted, sung, written, played, mastered, a real highlight.
Some may call it 'Prog' but I feel that is doing an injustice, as it is difficult to pigeonhole.
This is the final track - and gives an insight.
Track one needs to he heard on a full range system - it's use of bass pedals in places really works so well.

Working Men's Club is a cracking eponymous debut album - a modern mash-up of New Order, The Fall, and 1980's synth-pop.

advertisement

Back