advertisement

Pics of your pets (part III)

XnWeb_7GFrC9UgNBccHXwQNouW1m3vzg8HewJ9XgheQQYMFGNKopNfa_mK0wAzi-ThKcnK1MGlsmVvgwFEVbSJYcpAwCInaHzRB0uSh4PE8bYJRJ12cLGZoapzcQERr0lqLI9T3R_l-LbXLFhFbW-d8NkZFztbI3IqdKnIoMDET46ETpDLqa6cwPaxNVPDYg2utkyyfHY7AuDT-JFH9k0WZlE0cHiALa0u9ww-oS6xoj8yBuoitItJq2ODeaF50yB7ZCYwKxY2OZg6iXACH8GsULN8lfVDEcfsTl84RRHtC0Epp1WfGvHLqUI_E9ziP1x-sFEGrG2IHJvJWuSA-O7iH0wWyroTgYMcBTf292Zgrhj43tL0e6eKkGwK4F4yFzIsZnE-WCUUcW2h7pv51b6hcQN38a732AyU7HsQUBv0JE8kMvw4rm8OqtK3t8iVbHu0eORcym22-iorsC1stWeCs4GOVA_QUb3TZMkR2u1YrxvCCjFADm82d1CYSmxwYQfL5FyF8t064Yyh4U082M0o4VZo3jqfurnskorg8niyN38zEJEUirnqx6g0Mvj6jmbGNWSfxML7JGrsLgrIHGmrWKQ-CS1rRGNzw82LWA8Tqr7Tt68mM5qDrpcPlHb0Lhgbh1I23e2VNdVFDe3uJr4oWEjsBQRJMJV-N10kzHxRorryP_ED1oNqEB1lr6YCU=w975-h731-no

This is Little Martin Black.....he turned up at mine around a month or so ago resplendent with natty dreads, worms, fleas, approximately a pint of slug slime on him and a voice like a banshee.

It took me a week of sitting on the back step calling him and coaxing with a few kibbles before he would get close but he never seemed to go far from the house.

There is a cat flap in my garage door which has no flap and my own cat uses it as one of his summer homes when it is too hot inside. Little Martin Black made himself a bed in a box in there so I left some food each day. Eventually he would eat in my kitchen if the door was open and slowly he braved the sofa to sit beside me each day whilst I read. Oddly my old cat William seemed to tolerate this new imposter!

I took the chance and brought him to my vet who confirmed no microchip and no reports locally of a missing cat. We both agreed he looked about a year old, very underweight and very much endowed with the biggest set of cat maracas we'd seen. A call to the local cats protection and we agreed a date for his spaying. THEY SHAVED HIS ARSE! I've not laughed as much....I've looked after many cats over the years, all Toms, and never has the vet left any with no bum fluff!

Anyhow ...Little Martin Black seems to live here now. He is free to come and go like my own cat and they seem to have a truce despite the crazy kitten half hour in the evenings. My main worry is that I may have taken in a bottomless pit. I have never seen a cat demand nor eat as much in my life...I am hoping he is merely eating to repair his body which as well as being underweight when he arrived was and is still covered in bites and scratches!

He's also very difficult to get a good pic of as he just looks like a big ink blot.

Good on ya, all our cats have been rescues - Tilly found wandering in Aberdeen - Tillydrone area 6 months old ish - she's about 14 now

Sorcha looks a bit like Martin - she's 18 months now, was tiny when we got her from Cats Protection - just a couple hundred grams

XnWeb_7GFrC9UgNBccHXwQNouW1m3vzg8HewJ9XgheQQYMFGNKopNfa_mK0wAzi-ThKcnK1MGlsmVvgwFEVbSJYcpAwCInaHzRB0uSh4PE8bYJRJ12cLGZoapzcQERr0lqLI9T3R_l-LbXLFhFbW-d8NkZFztbI3IqdKnIoMDET46ETpDLqa6cwPaxNVPDYg2utkyyfHY7AuDT-JFH9k0WZlE0cHiALa0u9ww-oS6xoj8yBuoitItJq2ODeaF50yB7ZCYwKxY2OZg6iXACH8GsULN8lfVDEcfsTl84RRHtC0Epp1WfGvHLqUI_E9ziP1x-sFEGrG2IHJvJWuSA-O7iH0wWyroTgYMcBTf292Zgrhj43tL0e6eKkGwK4F4yFzIsZnE-WCUUcW2h7pv51b6hcQN38a732AyU7HsQUBv0JE8kMvw4rm8OqtK3t8iVbHu0eORcym22-iorsC1stWeCs4GOVA_QUb3TZMkR2u1YrxvCCjFADm82d1CYSmxwYQfL5FyF8t064Yyh4U082M0o4VZo3jqfurnskorg8niyN38zEJEUirnqx6g0Mvj6jmbGNWSfxML7JGrsLgrIHGmrWKQ-CS1rRGNzw82LWA8Tqr7Tt68mM5qDrpcPlHb0Lhgbh1I23e2VNdVFDe3uJr4oWEjsBQRJMJV-N10kzHxRorryP_ED1oNqEB1lr6YCU=w975-h731-no

This is Little Martin Black.....he turned up at mine around a month or so ago resplendent with natty dreads, worms, fleas, approximately a pint of slug slime on him and a voice like a banshee.

It took me a week of sitting on the back step calling him and coaxing with a few kibbles before he would get close but he never seemed to go far from the house.

There is a cat flap in my garage door which has no flap and my own cat uses it as one of his summer homes when it is too hot inside. Little Martin Black made himself a bed in a box in there so I left some food each day. Eventually he would eat in my kitchen if the door was open and slowly he braved the sofa to sit beside me each day whilst I read. Oddly my old cat William seemed to tolerate this new imposter!

I took the chance and brought him to my vet who confirmed no microchip and no reports locally of a missing cat. We both agreed he looked about a year old, very underweight and very much endowed with the biggest set of cat maracas we'd seen. A call to the local cats protection and we agreed a date for his spaying. THEY SHAVED HIS ARSE! I've not laughed as much....I've looked after many cats over the years, all Toms, and never has the vet left any with no bum fluff!

Anyhow ...Little Martin Black seems to live here now. He is free to come and go like my own cat and they seem to have a truce despite the crazy kitten half hour in the evenings. My main worry is that I may have taken in a bottomless pit. I have never seen a cat demand nor eat as much in my life...I am hoping he is merely eating to repair his body which as well as being underweight when he arrived was and is still covered in bites and scratches!

He's also very difficult to get a good pic of as he just looks like a big ink blot.
that is brilliant- and well done for persevering.

Ludo back in one of his favourite places today - Port Charlotte on Islay:

171074235.greKeEgC.islay06.jpg
Lucky you. Had to bail out from our trip there this weekend owing to two family groups not allowed to share self catering accommodation. Would have been fine if we’d all checked into a hotel.

I bought a cold water, wild swimming wetsuit a few months back but finally got around to trying it out with Ludo at Port Charlotte on Islay.

I was staying at Loch Linnhe in winter about four years ago and the sea was rough with high winds. I spotted what I thought was a dolphin about 50ft out from the pier- then realised it was a golden Labrador. The owner was on the pier looking very relaxed, the dog obviously having its regular constitutional and sod the weather/sea conditions.

Labradors do love the sea, and with good reason, they were originally used to help fishermen drag nets in off the Newfoundland coast. But the name had already been used for another breed so they went up the coast a little and became known as Labs instead. We thought our two rescues were strange as they wouldn’t go near water when we got them. We think their original owners had tried to keep them dry and chastised them every time they got wet. They’ve made up for it since but haven’t yet reached the dizzying enthusiasm that Toby had when we got near a river or manky pond.

Ludo (who's also a rescue) is a typical lab in loving water and it was fun to get in there with him and see him in action up close. Apparently they can swim for hours - he's definitely a much better swimmer than I am.

Reactions: MJS

advertisement

Back