advertisement

Naim CDI mechanism?

One thing I didn't mention - the platter is magnetic, so I had to glue the (knife blade!) metal spacers down to hold them in place when mounting the platter. I used wood glue - was then easy to break the seal and clean up after platter was mounted. Only use a small drop, and ensure you still get a metal on metal contact between spacer and deck (or platter will end up pie-eyed).

Thanks again Les - I counted all the tants in this thing; I didn't order enough! Anyone know where I can get a circuit of the audio board so I can select audio path devices only to renew? Oh, and I used platter-deck height from CDM9/44 - I'd guess around 50 thou.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Dowser,

My friend have a problem in the CDM9 Pro motor of his CDI.

I guess the CDM9/44 and the CDM9 does not share the same motor?

Avi

Hi Avi - they are different, but I seriously doubt the motor is faulty; it is most likely a laser related issue that stops the disc from spinning. 9/44 laser goes in.

Richard

Try not to use tants in the dc blocking position ....

Also I worked on a cdi at the weekend and fitted a set of audio note silver rca sockets for the owner...this was just a simple hole drilling exercise and then using wire jumpers from the pcb to take the output to the new sockets ..leaving in place the rather cheap din socket.

Was it worth the effort ...in this case the owner was not using a naim pre ...the pre was an ECS with rca sockets ...

The effect was jaw dropping .....having removed the rca to din adaptor the sound that was land locked virtually mono ...now became spacious and filled the area between the speakers.

The use of high quality rca cables also made a serious difference and as we introduced successively better ic the performance leaped forward.

At the end the owner has decided he doesn't now need a multi thousand pound upgrade for his cdp ...the one he has has closed the performance gap over his sme 20 tt [ though the tt was still better... but not by much]

Hi, Richard!

When you wrote your story for a long time about repairing the Naim player with CDM9Pro. I also need to slightly raise the platter. I already understood how to move the platter on the spindle from your description, but as they say, it's better to see once than hear a hundred times! Unfortunately, links to photos in your theme no longer work. If you have a photo of that theme of the motor with the spindle removed, please give a working link to these photos.

Thanks in advance.

It’d take me a while to find a copy of the photo I’m afraid. Is yours cdm9 pro based too? I now have a second CDI, still with original Aluminium disc platter - I can take a photo of that if you like, it will at least show you how much spindle should be visible at the right height? Then it’s just a small drop of superglue to hold it in place.

note that under the platter there is a small steel rod that is sprung loaded to hold against the spindle - be careful not to dislodge it if removing or priding platter...it pings off...and takes ages to find :)

Thanks for the info.. Yes, I also have CDM9PRO.

I often have bad reading of the TOC and the first 10 minutes of any disc with errors, but if i put a spacer cut from a sheet of paper on the platter, i.e. the disc rises by about 0.2mm, then the discs are read without problems from beginning to end. So I think to raise the platter a little and the problem will be solved.

Do you know how the original platter is fixed to the spindle, is it glued there or is it just very tightly put on it?

Ah - do not raise the spindle! Your issue sounds like the clamp! Just order a type 5 puck. To test, use a small blob of blu-tack next to the rubber grommet on your existing puck, will likely fix it. You can also try turning the existing rubber grommet through 90 degrees so it grips better

Ah - do not raise the spindle! Your issue sounds like the clamp! Just order a type 5 puck. To test, use a small blob of blu-tack next to the rubber grommet on your existing puck, will likely fix it. You can also try turning the existing rubber grommet through 90 degrees so it grips better

I can 2nd that for sure. I gave up on the top hat puck on my CDS years ago; the later ones work much better, they grip the CD more effectively and prevent damage to the hub, which is what will happen if the CD is allowed to continually slip. You'll find that track selection will improve too; it really is a no-brainer. By the time I bought my CDS, it was already on its 2nd transport, but it's been fine since I started using the later puck.

Sorry, I completely forgot to say that I do not have a Naim player, I have a Theta Data Basic, it has a different clamp design, but the problems are probably the same, because the mech is the same - CDM9 Pro.

The first photo shows the state of the platter:

90cca051a41fe3b307f9afad589046d7-full.jpg

In the second photo, the state of the clamp:

b5289bf22b267fcf5de82cf48802f583-full.jpg

You mean to glue the plasticine on this ring (marked with an arrow) so that the disc does not slip? This ring is either felt or felt. Replace it with a denser or less slippery material?

Search for blu-tac- then no need to glue. You’re just testing if that is the issue. Probably a piece of plasticine will do same job, but I’d use 3 small dots, without glue. If it’s that, just order a Naim v5 puck to replace your Theta one (unless Theta replacement is available/cheaper?).

(unless Theta replacement is available/cheaper?).

It is almost impossible for Theta to find anything new from spare parts.

If it’s that, just order a Naim v5 puck

Like this? It looks like it has a slightly different design and will not stick in the Theta tray.

DSC0027-570x379.jpg

or may be V3?

DSC003011-570x379.jpg

Search for blu-tac- then no need to glue. You’re just testing if that is the issue. Probably a piece of plasticine will do same job, but I’d use 3 small dots, without glue.

Thanks. I got the idea, did it like this, but the problem still exists. It seems to me that if the problem is in the clamp, then the table itself rotates, but still it looks more like a difference in height.

note that under the platter there is a small steel rod that is sprung loaded to hold against the spindle - be careful not to dislodge it if removing or priding platter...it pings off...and takes ages to find :)

Is this steel rod on CDM9Pro? What is its function? Please have an exploded photo of this rod?

Last edited:

advertisement

Back