advertisement

Rega rewire service

raysablade

pfm Member
Do Rega still offer their rewiring service via dealers and, if so, does anyone have an idea of the price? Iirc an RB300 was around £70.

I’d like to imagine I could do the job myself but bitter experience has taught me that my soldering skills aren’t up to any of it, least of all the tags.

My Rega dealer isn’t sure and most rewiring services, including the dealers own, seem to be around £150.

The dealer has a complete deck on EBay for under £300. At those prices I wonder if it might be more economically viable to break the existing Planar 3 up and sell it as spares on eBay then replace it with a working one.

Yes they do, I had mine rewired for about the price you've quoted, I went through Billy Vee, but I found out if it's a fault it's free, Paul Darwin is the man to ask, very helpful chap.

What's wrong with the wires?

Rega are super helpful, I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

My better half managed to cut the phono lead in half a few years ago. I repaired it but it really needs fixing properly. The clips are corroded and one has had to be replaced, spectacularly badly, by my fair hand.

Im sure Rega are great, but you can only contact them via your dealer and my dealer tell my that they don’t know if the rewire service still operates. They doubt that it does.

It’s potentially embarrassing, especially if I turn up with the arm and the only service they offer is their own. I value their service and expertise and am happy to support them through this crisis but ultimately at £150 repair is uneconomic.

Billy Vee seems to be a good option now that I know they offer their service. My daughter
lives nearby,I could send it to her and she could drop it in for me.

If this is the cable going from the underside of the deck to the amp, it's an easy fix. You can often buy the whole cable on eBay for about £30 then find a friend who can solder to swap it over for you. That's what I'd do.

I couldn't possibly comment on Lintone's customer service, however, IME, many dealers would rather have a go at charging retail price parts plus labour than 'give' the job away, particularily so, in cases of none warranty work.

What I would take offence to is a dealer quoting such before knowing enough about a given repair issue to determine whether warranty applies or no. This may or may not be the case here.

I couldn't possibly comment on Lintone's customer service, however, IME, many dealers would rather have a go at charging retail price parts plus labour than 'give' the job away, particularily so, in cases of none warranty work.

What I would take offence to is a dealer quoting such before knowing enough about a given repair issue to determine whether warranty applies or no. This may or may not be the case here.

We are about 33 years out of Warranty;)

I like Lintone. As a dealer they have been helpful to me in the past and pointed me to routes that saved me a lot of money.

In this case particular case though the servicing model, particularly £36 to asses the repair, makes it uneconomic for me. In other cases I’m sure it makes sense. I think we can leave it at that.

Seems best to call Billy Vee make sure they still offer the service and, if they do, send it to my daughter to give to them.

My better half managed to cut the phono lead in half a few years ago. I repaired it but it really needs fixing properly. The clips are corroded and one has had to be replaced, spectacularly badly, by my fair hand.

Im sure Rega are great, but you can only contact them via your dealer and my dealer tell my that they don’t know if the rewire service still operates. They doubt that it does.

It’s potentially embarrassing, especially if I turn up with the arm and the only service they offer is their own. I value their service and expertise and am happy to support them through this crisis but ultimately at £150 repair is uneconomic.

Billy Vee seems to be a good option now that I know they offer their service. My daughter

Find another dealer, sorry mate it's your fault, (well the Mrs ) Lintone does seem expensive, contact Billy Vee and have a word with Mick and if your daughter can take it there I'm sure they can help.

Do Rega still offer their rewiring service via dealers and, if so, does anyone have an idea of the price? Iirc an RB300 was around £70.

I’d like to imagine I could do the job myself but bitter experience has taught me that my soldering skills aren’t up to any of it, least of all the tags.

My Rega dealer isn’t sure and most rewiring services, including the dealers own, seem to be around £150.

The dealer has a complete deck on EBay for under £300. At those prices I wonder if it might be more economically viable to break the existing Planar 3 up and sell it as spares on eBay then replace it with a working one.
A bit of an old reply, but will likely still be best value?
Think we do it for around £50 quid plus return carriage.

PD

Find another dealer, sorry mate it's your fault, (well the Mrs ) Lintone does seem expensive, contact Billy Vee and have a word with Mick and if your daughter can take it there I'm sure they can help.

It's absolutely my fault;) I shouldn't have wound a bit of tinsel round it at Christmas. I thought it might add a bit of "shimmer" to the sound.

The problem is that it is a hundred miles to the next nearest dealer, and was hoping not rely on the post. needs must however.

i was starting to suspect that buying a complete deck of the same vintage selecting the best parts from each then selling the what's left as spares might offer the best value. I'm glad we might have a way forward through Billy Vee.

External arm rewires are as follows: RB 101/110/220 £35 - RB 303/330/700 £100 - RB 808 and RB 2000 £126 all prices include vat but not carriage and insurance to Rega from dealer.

Internal rewires are £43 inc vat but not carriage and insurance as previously.

Hope this clarifies everything.

PD

External arm rewires are as follows: RB 101/110/220 £35 - RB 303/330/700 £100 - RB 808 and RB 2000 £126 all prices include vat but not carriage and insurance to Rega from dealer.

Internal rewires are £43 inc vat but not carriage and insurance as previously.

Hope this clarifies everything.

PD

Thanks Paul,

I think selling it for spares and keeping my RP6 is going to be the most economicly option viable option.

A PM to Paul is likely to reveal that a 30 odd year old RB300 can have its external lead replaced like for like for RB101/110/220 cable replacement money.

IOWs, one doesn't have to go for the current RB3xx/700 offering.

advertisement

Back