advertisement

Lockdowns

Doesn't Vit D supplement need actual sunshine to 'activate' it ?
Well, I have been advised to take it by actual experts & my surgeon has expressly said I should keep it up. Vit D levels drop in the winter months, normally you would build up levels in the Summer but this is not always possible. There has been some evidence that the BAME community are particularly prone to low Vit D as their skin is designed for hotter climates to filter out the harmful effects of the sun.

Regardless of its efficacy re Covid, there are a number of benefits to having a healthy level of Vit D.

British universities are, officially, obliged to platform right wing speakers, Tory MPs are prone to writing to VCs to demand they monitor how Brexit is taught, students and staff are spied on for signs of “radicalisation”, while being relentlessly misrepresented as intolerant by politicians and press. And that’s just universities. In schools it is now against forbidden to use “anti-capitalist” teaching materials.

Indeed and this is very worrying and must be ignored by Uni's and teachers. Taming capitalism is the single most important issue the world faces. EVERYTHING ELSE depends on it. Saving the planet absolutely will not happen whilst capitalism thrives. Sowing anti capitalism ideas is the best use of any teachers time.

Indeed and this is very worrying and must be ignored by Uni's and teachers. Taming capitalism is the single most important issue the world faces. EVERYTHING ELSE depends on it. Saving the planet absolutely will not happen whilst capitalism thrives. Sowing anti capitalism ideas is the best use of any teachers time.

I was horrified when I read Sean’s post about banning anti capitalist ideas in schools, I was so horrified I didn’t believe him, but I checked and he’s right. I made a post here asking why the left hasn’t really challenged this, but deleted it because what Claire Foxx had said later crossed my mind as the reason.

JFC: because the the “left” in the U.K. are a bunch of centrist patsies & are as wedded to capitalist doctrine as the right. The media isn’t widely covering opposition because... oh yeah... look whose holding the leash.

The problems of the world cannot be solved by pouring yet more capitalism on it. (But it will help fluff up the pillows of the .1% while the world burns.)

I was horrified when I read Sean’s post about banning anti capitalist ideas in schools, I was so horrified I didn’t believe him, but I checked and he’s right. I made a post here asking why the left hasn’t really challenged this, but deleted it because what Claire Foxx had said later crossed my mind as the reason.
She's not wrong is she. The left has basically one voice in the UK that's in any way capable of making itself heard in the mainstream, the Labour Party - and they currently have the perfect excuse (Corbyn damaged the brand - have to rebuild trust) to do what they like doing best, which is basically nothing: wait until the right wreck things completely and then step in to patch things up until the Conservatives are ready to go again.

People will not vote for the things that most need doing as in a well off western country like the UK these things will result in a big reduction to the quality of our lifestyles. We are too rich and have far too easy and comfortable lives for the sustainability of the planet.

It helps if you have a tiny population, low density & are geographically isolated. Covid is having a resurgence all across Europe, even Germany.

The above observation in no way exonerates our shitshow Govt.

The comparisons with Sweden are also moot as they have lower density of population & over 50% of them live alone. The Sweden model would not work here & its debatable that its worked for them.

The UK seems to be doing a lot better than the USA in per capita terms.
According to the FT tracker the UK still leads the US in terms of the total number of deaths per million population, but it looks like the US will overtake us soon.

In any case, on just about every metric, the UK's is among the worst performances in the world.

It helps if you have a tiny population, low density & are geographically isolated. Covid is having a resurgence all across Europe, even Germany.

The above observation in no way exonerates our shitshow Govt.

The comparisons with Sweden are also moot as they have lower density of population & over 50% of them live alone. The Sweden model would not work here & its debatable that its worked for them.

And Vietnam 98m ? Tourist Thailand 70m ? South Korea 51m ? Malaysia 33m ? Singapore 6m ? Worked for them too.
Nobody said it was easy but if any country had done what NZ did early enough (and it was obvious by March) it would have worked.
It was portrayed as a false choice between health or the economy. Now we have neither.
Now those countries have to do it anyway on a much more difficult scale, or stop/start to herd immunity or pray for a vaccine.
Unfortunately the UK and USA have the worst leaders possible at the wrong time.

Last edited:
According to the FT tracker the UK still leads the US in terms of the total number of deaths per million population, but it looks like the US will overtake us soon.

In any case, on just about every metric, the UK's is among the worst performances in the world.
According to Worldometers, the UK is about on par with the USA with around 600 deaths per 1m, but the US is streets ahead with 22,000 cases per 1m compared to the UK's of 6,500 per 1m.

And Vietnam 98m ? Tourist Thailand 70m ? South Korea 51m ? Malaysia 33m ? Singapore 6m ? Worked for them too.
Nobody said it was easy but if any country had done what NZ did early enough (and it was obvious by March) it would have worked.
It was portrayed as a false choice between health or the economy. Now we have neither.
Now those countries have to do it anyway on a much more difficult scale, or stop/start to herd immunity or pray for a vaccine.
Unfortunately the UK and USA have the worst leaders possible at the wrong time.
They are all much smaller economies which are easier to stop, just look how many people come in & out of Heathrow; London is one of the most visited cities in the world.

However, you are right re the expertise Vietnam, Thailand et al as they have great experience of Sars type infections. You cannot accurately compare countries, sorry. The economy is important & everything should be done to protect it; I work in the commercial private sector & am acutely aware of how damaging this whole crisis has been. We will not accurately know about outcomes for another year or so due to meaningful data comparisons.

I am not defending this Govt but i don't think the constant comparisons with other countries, especially on different continents is helpful. Well done to NZ but completely irrelevant to here.

Anyway, we are never going to agree on this so you may as well shout into a paper bag.

Lockdown, done early and quickly, works.

Indeed, another 3 month lockdown and there will be no pubs,theatres,sport stadiums restaurants,and most buisnesses left.

Unless you believe in a magic money tree existing that has tens of trillions of pounds growing on it to support the economy during lockdown.
What happens after another lockdown.
As we have seen, the virus just flares up again.

Though I suspect those who believe in the magic money tree, also believe in the magic vaccine tree.

advertisement

Back