advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what I thought. Thanks twotone. I know we can’t just do nothing and hope Covid goes the same way, especially as Spanish Flu killed scores of millions in that time, but here’s hoping we might catch a break again.

That’s what I thought. Thanks twotone. I know we can’t just do nothing and hope Covid goes the same way, especially as Spanish Flu killed scores of millions in that time, but here’s hoping we might catch a break again.

There were 12000 people killed in American as a result of a parade to raise war bonds.

seems like history has taught governments nothing.

The Philadelphia Liberty Loans Parade, held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 28 September 1918 to promote government bonds for World War I, resulted in 12,000 deaths after a major outbreak of the illness spread among people who had attended the parade.[40]

who knows where COVID will end up but it won’t be soon that’s for sure
We’ll have to see but I think we need to learn to live with it, these restrictions going forward won’t be sustainable.

Don’t think it’s helpful to be comparing with Covid with the Spanish Flu and Black Death. No evidence that it’s anywhere near as bad.

Yes it became just common old garden flue.

The initial outbreak came about because American soldiers were moving from America to Europe during the First World War and soldiers were billeted together in large groups so the virus took hold and got out of control, this was early 1918 then it sort of disappeared for months and came back with a bang in the October with a second wave then it just fizzled out over the subsequent years but most victims were under 40.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Seems Spanish Flu likely started in China too...

We’ll have to see but I think we need to learn to live with it, these restrictions going forward won’t be sustainable.

Don’t think it’s helpful to be comparing with Covid with the Spanish Flu and Black Death. No evidence that it’s anywhere near as bad.

Yet.

Maybe that they wanted a proper progressive anti-nationalist and democratic party rather than some bland focus-group careerist shite led by an idiot that even allowed his MPs to campaign with fascists!

PS I’m prepared to bet that as IQ goes up so does the desire for a democratic (i.e. proportional) electoral system, which is something Labour will never have the spine or integrity to campaign for. That for has always been the LDs’ core policy. I’ve grasped it was the most important policy since the very first time I turned up at a polling station which is why my voting life has centred around them, though I will always vote tactically against the Tories where necessary. Now the LDs are back substantially to the progressive-left of Labour, which is where they always should be IMHO, expect them to take an increasing number of votes from all parties.
Don’t know about that, something tells me that Mensa meetings aren’t dominated by lefties.

Lib Dem voters might have known what they wanted, but they were less sure about how to get it. In some ways Brexiteers were a lot less confused.

Yes, but nothing follows. All available courses of action lead to suffering and death.
The course taken maximises suffering and death, and concentrates it on the marginalised. I’m not saying that’s intentional but it’s not exactly an accident either.

The course taken maximises suffering and death, and concentrates it on the marginalised. I’m not saying that’s intentional but it’s not exactly an accident either.
Yes. If the course had concentrated the effect on the Disgusteds of Tunbridge Wells, and their ilk, the course would have been quickly changed to something else.

The whole point of lockdown was to stop the NHS being overwhelmed. That never has happened. The number of Covid patients taking up beds remains small, capacity at A&E has been running at half its usual level, and cancer patients and others are going without operations. The original policy of protecting the NHS and flattening the curve has turned into eliminate the virus totally.

You talk about freedoms and liberties as if they don’t matter. I don’t recognise the country I’ve lived in all my life where you can get fined thousands of pounds for mixing in a pub with someone else or get arrested by the police for holding peaceful protests. Far from a democracy we’re fast becoming a police state.
I’m not sure the goal was ever to eliminate it, it certainly isn’t now. The lockdown was about not overwhelming the NHS, but it was also, as I understood it, about buying time to build up test and trace, so that efforts to contain the virus could be more localised and targeted. That opportunity was squandered on Meal Deals and grift, leaving more or less blanket lockdowns as the only way to avoid mass death, collapse of the NHS and of the economy, again. Without an effective test and trace we don’t really have many options.

We’ll see.

I admire your faith in medical science unfortunately however it may be a bit misplaced given that H1N1 was responsible for two pandemics, Spanish flue and Swine flue, 90 years apart and medical science didn't really manage to do anything about either.

Also one million deaths and 50million cases of Coronavirus worldwide isn't a minor event where we all just 'get on with our lives' and to f ck with it unless you're a tinfoil hat nutter that is..

I’m not sure the goal was ever to eliminate it, it certainly isn’t now. The lockdown was about not overwhelming the NHS, but it was also, as I understood it, about buying time to build up test and trace, so that efforts to contain the virus could be more localised and targeted. That opportunity was squandered on Meal Deals and grift, leaving more or less blanket lockdowns as the only way to avoid mass death, collapse of the NHS and of the economy, again. Without an effective test and trace we don’t really have many options.

There was a guy from the WHO on The Today programme this morning talking about the new test thing which can produce results in less than fifteen minutes but the manufacturer's only talking 200 million tests in a six month period and the guy was saying that his goal was to hopefully increase that to several billion tests, he was saying trying to fight the virus without a proper test and trace procedure was like trying to fight it 'a bit blind'. Think that he was being a bit diplomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back