advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

Anybody have experience of the newer Royal Enfields?
Saw piccies of a Classic 350 in Chestnut colour and fell in love!
Apparently we'll only see the 500 here, bummer.
I have none other than seeing them at bike shows and reading reviews...They continue to get the thumbs up in terms of build quality and a surprisingly compliant and fun ride. I imagine they are a good buy for those that want to ride in a more relaxed fashion.

They're not for me, though. I still want to see bike manufacturers pressing on with technology, weight, design, handling etc. I don't think the Enfield does any of that. I like to get my tyres bubbling at the twilight of adhesion. I suspect I'd probably come off an Enfield if I tried to corner it too hard.

I have none other than seeing them at bike shows and reading reviews...They continue to get the thumbs up in terms of build quality and a surprisingly compliant and fun ride. I imagine they are a good buy for those that want to ride in a more relaxed fashion.

They're not for me, though. I still want to see bike manufacturers pressing on with technology, weight, design, handling etc. I don't think the Enfield does any of that. I like to get my tyres bubbling at the twilight of adhesion. I suspect I'd probably come off an Enfield if I tried to corner it too hard.
I'm sure you would. It's 50s technology brought up to, ooh, the 80s, with electronic ignition and fuel injection. It's still going to handle like a Harley on a track day though. For cruising around within sight of the speed limit though, I think they would be great.

I test rode a new Interceptor 650 last summer, overall it felt just like a well-sorted 1980s bike. Compared to a modern bike, it was rather sloppy and loose in terms of suspension. The brakes were OK and the engine’s throttle response was surprisingly good, but in terms of power it was pretty slow. When I got off the bike, I gently told the dealer that the Interceptor kinda seemed like an overgrown Grom. Then the dealer offered me a test ride on a Street Triple R, and it was game over. Though well outside my budget, I signed on the dotted line for my STR.

I test rode a new Interceptor 650 last summer, overall it felt just like a well-sorted 1980s bike. Compared to a modern bike, it was rather sloppy and loose in terms of suspension. The brakes were OK and the engine’s throttle response was surprisingly good, but in terms of power it was pretty slow. When I got off the bike, I gently told the dealer that the Interceptor kinda seemed like an overgrown Grom. Then the dealer offered me a test ride on a Street Triple R, and it was game over. Though well outside my budget, I signed on the dotted line for my STR.
I suspect I would feel the same if I rode one.

Thanks for thecomments on the RE. Seems the press agree after searching, sendentary and outdated were terms that cropped up.
Oh well, a short love affair :rolleyes:

The press are often scathing about the 350/500 singles but almost universally positive about the 650s. The 650s perform about the same as a 1960/70s 650, if 100mph isn't enough in the present environment fill your boots with a proper modern bike (and likely your licence with points). I went from a 120bhp machine to the Interceptor and it's put the fun back into biking.
As with HiFi you need to try one to have any idea if it's right it might be Naim to a valve fan or it might be just right.

Yup, the Elsies of all varieties were a properly democratic fast bike. My cousin owned one, it was great. Almost as fast as my Kettle, better brakes and a damned sight lighter. What a pity that the new Langan (or is it Lingam) 250 is only accessible by wealthy old farts and crooks.

Always wanted an Elsie but had to go for a 4 stroke due to starting a job that had me all over from London to Bristol
I was quite surpised to see a 2020 stinkwheel but at £30k I think a Yamaha banshee engine in Gia-Engineering frame would do it for me!
https://www.giaengineering.co.uk/custom-motorbike-builds.php

^ There is something stirring about the sound of a stroker being fired up in the morning.

Just watching that vid tho - given that emissions tests these days run from a cold start, no way in hell could that thing ever be approved for road-use. It'd reach the designated limit before you ever got it off the stand :)

Surprised me too but it may get through a loophole by being low volume. Or it might be like those million pound Astons, not road legal.Wish I had the room to have an old Kwak/Yam/Suzi 2t for days when the 650 is too sensible.

Wow 75BHP from that 250cc Langen!:eek: I hate to think what the service intervals are...

Edit: I'd love to see the 750 V4:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool: Kanga pants mandatory I think.

Always wanted an Elsie but had to go for a 4 stroke due to starting a job that had me all over from London to Bristol
I was quite surpised to see a 2020 stinkwheel but at £30k I think a Yamaha banshee engine in Gia-Engineering frame would do it for me!
The bike in the video is clearly not road legal. The engine manufacturer quotes 75 bhp for the track version and 70 bhp for the road version. Langen is quoting 75 bhp. The engine manufacture states the Duecinquanta Stradale (their road bike) was UK homologated in 2019. Not sure quite what is going on. Is the Langen without a fairing only a track bike? Anyone?

Just watching that vid tho - given that emissions tests these days run from a cold start, no way in hell could that thing ever be approved for road-use. It'd reach the designated limit before you ever got it off the stand
The emissions can be met but it takes modern technology and significant development effort. In the 90s pretty much all the car manufacturers had defensive 2 stroke engine programs. They didn't want the costs of introducing 2 stroke engines into production but they needed to be prepared in case a competitor launched a successful small car using one. I was offered a go in the Ford Fiesta 2 stroke and have no idea why I declined.

I do remember salivating over this beastie when I were a young-en, 22 or so years later, technology has moved on but doesnt seem to have caught up?

A real stinkwheel but without the James Bond escape cloud...

I do remember salivating over this beastie when I were a young-en, 22 or so years later, technology has moved on but doesnt seem to have caught up?
I had an RG500 Gamma but it was too fast to be fun on the road on anything but a dual carriageway. A 250 is the right size for fun on the road. I once went to a Suzuki open day at Donington in the late 80s where they let their dealers play on their production bikes. Never got near the RGV250 which had much higher demand than any other bike. Got a few goes on the RG500 which had middling demand and was comfortable to ride quickly unlike the GSXR1100 which was too heavy to be comfortable and not particularly popular.

I had an RG500 Gamma but it was too fast to be fun on the road on anything but a dual carriageway. A 250 is the right size for fun on the road. I once went to a Suzuki open day at Donington in the late 80s where they let their dealers play on their production bikes. Never got near the RGV250 which had much higher demand than any other bike. Got a few goes on the RG500 which had middling demand and was comfortable to ride quickly unlike the GSXR1100 which was too heavy to be comfortable and not particularly popular.
RG 500 was a much better bike than the RD 500. My best mate had one in skoal bandit colours. Its power band was so smooth I was really comfy pulling big wheelies on it (when he wasnt looking).

I just had a visit from those nice people at Krazy Horse this morning who delivered this MV Agusta Superveloce "Serie Oro" to me as its future custodian. A limited edition model and one of only 300 made worldwide to commemorate MV Agusta's 75 years in making motorcycles. I feel honoured and privileged to be the owner of such a machine...

3852ab0d-9f89-1cca-d9c1-63c65f9d69ac

Video here

I just had a visit from those nice people at Krazy Horse this morning who delivered this MV Agusta Superveloce "Serie Oro" to me as its future custodian. A limited edition model and one of only 300 made worldwide to commemorate MV Agusta's 75 years in making motorcycles. I feel honoured and privileged to be the owner of such a machine...

3852ab0d-9f89-1cca-d9c1-63c65f9d69ac

Video here

Enjoy! I'm going to have to charge a lot more for my work I can see...

Reactions: GT

advertisement

Back