advertisement

NFL 2020

thebigfredc

pfm Member
Anyone interested?

Probably not.

Anyway I'm going left-field for an all west Super Bowl - Forty-niners v Raiders (cos I would like to see Derek Carr get some reward for plugging away).

Ray

There are a few of us NFL fans here. Vuk and matthewr amongst others. Not decided who I am following this year, I am corporately required to follow the Pats and I do like Cam Newton but am a long time 49’er fan as well.

Vikings fan here, it's a long hope I know

Forget about this year - they are dreadful! Offense is adequate, but nothing special. Youngest defense in the league, and not very good at stopping anyone.

Best scenario right now is they completely tank, and get a high draft choice. Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence would definitely look good in purple!

they're generally dreadful....second team is the Chiefs, even before they were successful

they're generally dreadful....second team is the Chiefs, even before they were successful

Still early, but barring injuries, the Chiefs look ready to repeat. Ravens, Bills and Seahawks may challenge, but the Chiefs have the most talent and speed.

Eagles fan. It’s not my fault. I was born there. It took them 50 some years to win the Superbowl, and it will probably be another 50 some years until they win another one.

I pull for the Vikings, because a friend from college is on the coaching staff.

Eagles fan. It’s not my fault. I was born there. It took them 50 some years to win the Superbowl, and it will probably be another 50 some years until they win another one.

I pull for the Vikings, because a friend from college is on the coaching staff.

Hard to believe you’re from Philly. You are way too civil to be an Eagles fan! :D

I was born and raised a Washington Football Team fan, but have lived in Minneapolis since 1984. I want the Vikes to do well mostly because I know a lot of guys and gals who bleed purple. Their life will not be complete without a Super Bowl win, and I want them to die happy. :)

We moved to Bethesda when I was 11 in 1972. It seemed like the entire D.C. area was wallpapered in Washington Football Team paraphernalia. It was hard being an Eagles fan in that area. Even more so after 3 Superbowl wins.

hi here in england we just don't get it, way tooo long stop start all the time, i do watch it from time to time, and the nfl, are bringing games here to london , to crack the market, but to be honest i don't think it's for us brits, have been watching a program about the dallas cowboys cheerleaders, the money and time ,and process of these girls is unbelievable, well done girls, xxx
we are a football nation, and don't make me say soccar, :rolleyes: don't even know if iv'e spelled it right

All fair points Graystoke4.

My own interest was sparked in the 80s on C4 when the 49ers and Cowboys were going at it and I still have the memories of seeing the players battle with the artic conditions during the stretch and play offs. Then there was a big gap until I put the telly on after a Sunday night shift when C4 started with it again in 2011 and I was hooked.

One of its appealing characteristics for me, and in comparison with footie in the UK/Europe, is the wage cap which means all 32 teams have the same, fixed budget to accommodate the combined salaries of all their players. So if they decide to splash the cash on the Quaterback they will have less money to fund the Offensive Line to protect him. Also wealthy owners are unable to do a Blackburn or a Man City. In a similar effort to keep things competitive, the worst team from last year gets the first pick of the new talent coming out of college.

Hence all 32 teams are in the same league effectively and stand a chance of making it to the Super Bowl at least theoretically (coaching, continuity and management also have an effect).

Ray

Bucs fan here. Chose them as I said to myself I'd support the team closest to the 1st airport in the states I landed in. I've been over and seen them many times since.

Best thing for me is chatting to the 'local' fans from the Bucs, and the away team. My 1st game seen was v the Steelers. I was in the cheap seats up in the heavens, quickly realising I was surrounded by Steelers fans. Thinking this could be like football in the UK, I go a little nervous for my wife and in laws, who were with me. I need not have worried. They heard the accent, got chatting to us, and it was the best time. Its been like that every game since - even the Saints:D.

Followed the game since the Channel 4 days. Fans are miles better behaved than UK football fans. :(

hi, i rea\lly do appreciate the lower teams getting first pick, a great idea, and if andy cl lives in the uk iwould love to go to the states to see a match,

Bucs fan here. Chose them as I said to myself I'd support the team closest to the 1st airport in the states I landed in.

As good as reason as any I would say.

Its the Jets for me based on they were the best fans I have encountered at the Wembley games I have been to. It was only later that i discovered they were the first AFC team to win the Superbowl.

Ray

Fan of the Washington Football Team since 1982. John Riggins, 4th and 1, 70 chip hooked me at a formative age. Long suffering victim of D*n Sn*d*r for the last 20 years.

Chiefs vs Ravens tonight is mouthwatering, featuring the two best QBs (with apologies to Russell Wilson) and probably the two best teams in football.

As this is getting more confessional, some more details.

Like some others I first became aware of the NFL in the 80's when the new Channel 4 started showing the games. It was the days of Montana's 49'ers and William "The Refrigerator" Perry with the Bears that caught my imagination and we had a little gang of us playing in the car park at the office in breaks trying to throw a spiral.

I mainly learnt the rules by watching matches as I had no expert friends then and the analysis was sadly missing in the TV shows but I followed the 49'ers and then the Saints when they were doing well as I had no big link to any other team. My company is Boston based and they have a huge Pats following and own some corporate boxes (very hard to get if you are not a VP or higher). However back then the Pats were mostly terrible and I did not travel to the US then so just picked the teams being show in C4.

I stopped watching after C4 dropped the games and picked up again when I got Sky and the pressure from my US teammates to watch the steamroller that were the Pats from around 2000 onwards. I don't particularly hold an allegiance and really wanted the Titans to go all the way last year so will be looking for the Titans of 2020

Top NFL FACT : With the Dolphins victory this week, Ryan Fitzpatrick has now beaten Jacksonville with 6 different teams.

advertisement

Back