advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

I'm a huge fan of Hamilton, I have been since day 1 when he joined F1. However, there are things the driver needs to be responsible for - track limits, practice start areas etc. all of which will be covered on the drivers brief and track walk. Hamilton needs to take responsibility for this one.

I understand the 2 penalties were because he did it twice on 2 separate occasions.

It won't affect the overall championship, but Hamilton has now lost 2 wins this season for 2 rule breaks. The Monza rule was difficult to see - I think the FIA needed to be clearer on that Pit Lane Closure. Wins are wins that count towards your records when you leave the sport and look back. Those 2 wins that got away would rile me.

Well I think he has taken responsibility even though he asked his race engineer and got an affirmative reply, but like you say he should know the rules. Thing is things like this happen from time to time, he will simply put it behind him and get on with it.... it's what allows him to come back next time and do a reset... hanging onto things that might have been is pointless. If I were him I'd still be riled by China 2007 or Malaysia 2016. :D

I understand the 2 penalties were because he did it twice on 2 separate occasions.

Any idea why they didn't alert the team immediately after the first incident? I assume Hamilton had to complete at least another full lap before repeating the offence. If it's such a safety concern I would have thought they would have been all over it.

Any idea why they didn't alert the team immediately after the first incident? I assume Hamilton had to complete at least another full lap before repeating the offence. If it's such a safety concern I would have thought they would have been all over it.

I assume it's because the FIA are not monitoring all 20 drivers in real time. Just because there wasn't an incident following LHs practice starts, it does not constitute his actions as acceptable. The Stewards needed quite a bit of time to review the incident, consider the possible severity and look back at similar incidents for precedent for the punishment. LH broke the rules and paid the price. He needs to look at himself and nobody else. There is no agenda or anything from the FIA on this one.

I assume it's because the FIA are not monitoring all 20 drivers in real time. Just because there wasn't an incident following LHs practice starts, it does not constitute his actions as acceptable. The Stewards needed quite a bit of time to review the incident, consider the possible severity and look back at similar incidents for precedent for the punishment. LH broke the rules and paid the price. He needs to look at himself and nobody else. There is no agenda or anything from the FIA on this one.
It’s interesting that the punishment has been moderated. This suggests the stewards were OTT and powers above them had a word.. LH has now paid a slightly lesser price. A 5s penalty would have been more proportionate but they can’t fix than after the event.

It’s interesting that the punishment has been moderated. This suggests the stewards were OTT and powers above them had a word.. LH has now paid a slightly lesser price. A 5s penalty would have been more proportionate but they can’t fix than after the event.

This is an interesting development. It seems all was not clear cut after all and Lewis/Mercedes have/had a point to complain about. Given the complexity of the issue, perhaps the Stewards would have been better to let the race play out and sort out the charge/appeal and final decision as the race unfolded/finished. It looks like the Stewards acted and affected the race in haste without all the evidence and facts.

This is an interesting development. It seems all was not clear cut after all and Lewis/Mercedes have/had a point to complain about. Given the complexity of the issue, perhaps the Stewards would have been better to let the race play out and sort out the charge/appeal and final decision as the race unfolded/finished. It looks like the Stewards acted and affected the race in haste without all the evidence and facts.

It think the penalty points have been rescinded as the radio transmission clearly showed that it was the team who told him he was OK to do that hence why the team have now been fined, but obviously the stewards/FIA could do little about the 10s penalty as it's done.

I thought it was a thoroughly disappointing race, arbitrary penalties like that just take any real competition out of it and make the final result irrelevant. I even feel sorry for Bottas as he didn’t win that in any real sense. Coultard and Webber on C4 were far from impressed, and they are exactly right IMO.

It is a little silly as the penalties were discretionary and as has been said, no one was disadvantaged, they could easily have selected a different penalty or a reprimand rather than changing the outcome of the race irretrievably. LEC took STR out of the race due to talent fade and got away with it completely but then he drives a Ferrari.

HAM was told by the team to do those test starts so some sanity was returned by converting the penalty points to a team fine at least.

Anyway, it probably will not change the outcome of the WDC, track was very hard to overtake on

The fact that Finnish TV announced the 2x5 second penalty before the formation lap, although they also announced 2x2 penalty points, may be a factor here. Maybe dropping the points is a way to avoid focus on the issue of a steward leaking the results of deliberations to his TV employer before informing the teams. Opens up the possibility of betting coups for those that like a punt, and of possible strategy adjustments for any teams who heard and believed the early report. Mika Salo should be in deep shit, but the FIA may prefer to bury the bad news behind this announcement.

https://streamable.com/3d0za6

Tell that to the businesses spending hundreds of millions and the betting syndicates. Manipulation. It's not just a car race.

I REALLY don’t give a hoot about them.
I missed today’s race, was driving back from Co Durham. I don’t think I’ll bother watching it at any point.

It was one of those horrible scruffy weekends for Lewis, Bottas ahead in all practises and even the early qualifying but then he still found something extra to take that pole position. The race penalties were just salt into the wound. 3rd place wasn't a complete disaster all things considered.

The practice starts obviously gave Hamilton an advantage otherwise they wouldn't have done them.

They all do practice starts at every race as it helps set up the car’s electronics for the start. The usually do them towards the end of the pit lane near the lights but as so many had been done there yesterday there was a lot of rubber on the track so Lewis asked his engineer if he could do them further down the pit lane where the track would be more representative of the grid slot. He was told he could, but he went further than his engineer intended. To be fair the rule is ambiguous and if anything this sort of thing shows why he is where he is, like Schumacher he is always looking for anything that might give him something a little extra.

The thing that is irksome about yesterday is that he was given an in race penalty for something that occurred prior to the race and that has never happened before as far as I can remember. The fact that the penalty points were rescinded shows that the situation is a little odd, but, as Hamilton said, it’s done now.

advertisement

Back