advertisement

Why boomers hate pop!

Unfortunately I've heard far too much of it... Very modern music is heavily featured on Radio 2.
Also yes I am familiar with DAW etc. I blame technology for a lot of the dross we are subjected to.

I keep saying that the modern pop music on the radio is crap, which it is, and keep getting people coming back at me with "but you need to listen to "XYZ"" and "you need to go and look for the good stuff". Does no one get that my entire point is about the music you DON'T go and look for!? Turn the radio on and see what you are given... not what you could find if you looked for it. It is this crap that I'm talking about and I've pointed this out again and again in threads such as this. The stuff which is the collective background music of the nation as it's on the radio, on your builders radio, on the jukebox in the pub etc etc NOT the music you go and seek out.

In the 60's and 70's you could have gone and sought out all sorts of weird stuff from musique concrete to Nicholas Cage to Stockhausen etc etc but if you just turned your radio on the stuff you would get was from quality acts like The Beatles, The Stones, Bowie etc, and even the Gerry and the Pacemakers and The Tremolos etc was not at all bad.

If you listen to Radio 2 like us trendy kids do you get to hear cutting age stuff like this, which has been featured heavily lately... hip hop flute tastic! A catchy ear worm but redolent of Sesame Street tunes etc!

Gerry and the Pacemakers?

I know that boomers have, through sheer weight of numbers as far as I can tell, determined that they are the first to have done anything and whatever popular music they were fed by a highly effective mid-century marketing machine is the de facto benchmark everything must be compared to, but come on.

There has been unadulterated shit music since time immemorial - charts or no charts. And the boomer “standards” are no different in that reckoning. Love Me Do? Do me a favour more like - like listening to fingers down a blackboard.

In relation to music there are few things that irritate me more than the loud voice of the past telling me that what they did was better “because the 60s”.

i seem to recall villifying older generations and their 'tedious old music' in the seventies and despite having mostly failed am still fighting tooth and nail not to become 'one of those' ...

Gerry and the Pacemakers?

I know that boomers have, through sheer weight of numbers as far as I can tell, determined that they are the first to have done anything and whatever popular music they were fed by a highly effective mid-century marketing machine is the de facto benchmark everything must be compared to, but come on.

There has been unadulterated shit music since time immemorial - charts or no charts. And the boomer “standards” are no different in that reckoning. Love Me Do? Do me a favour more like - like listening to fingers down a blackboard.

In relation to music there are few things that irritate me more than the loud voice of the past telling me that what they did was better “because the 60s”.

Like car theft from a multistory car park, that's wrong on many levels:rolleyes:

It is possible to buy Ramones t-shirts from Asda’s own-brand now, which amuses me greatly. I’m prepared to bet about 80% of people wearing them these days would struggle to name a single song or album title.

PS I’m 57 and I bought It’s Alive at time of release, though I was too young to catch the earlier albums until after the fact. I’d argue It’s Alive is the one album everyone need as it is an amazing full-tilt live double that has all the hits delivered exactly as they should be.

I caught, quite by accident, some of the music of Little Mix.
I thought Twinkle, with her song ‘Terry’, was bad in the ‘60s but this ‘Little Mix music’
was awful.
I’m given to understand they’ve sold more music than the Spice Girls did.
Oh, gosh...

Probe Records in Liverpool? Pete Burns?!

A big and very well sorted shop in Gothenburg, Sweden thats long gone.

I stumbled upon Adele's 'Rolling in the deep' the other day. Okay, I stay with 60's-70's Pop/Rock and modern Jazz, but if something like that was the only option, I could live with it.

Thanks, Woodface, for mentioning the most overlooked era in rock, Pub rock. Basically they did what punk later did, returned to the roots, but looking less scary.

A big and very well sorted shop in Gothenburg, Sweden thats long gone.

I stumbled upon Adele's 'Rolling in the deep' the other day. Okay, I stay with 60's-70's Pop/Rock and modern Jazz, but if something like that was the only option, I could live with it.

Thanks, Woodface, for mentioning the most overlooked era in rock, Pub rock. Basically they did what punk later did, returned to the roots, but looking less scary.
No bother, pub rock wrote better songs also.

Pub rock is just another of those lazy labels that cover such a wide range of artists as to be completely meaningless. As well as those already mentioned, there were Dr Feelgood, Eddy & The Hotrods, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, etc etc., as well as the numerous groups who slid from pub rock to punk by cutting their hair and wearing different clothes. The best groups (eg The Fall) have always avoided labels by doing different stuff, rather than sticking to three-chord punk. Unsurprisingly, The Fall were bottled off-stage in their early days for being 'not really punk'.

I see Graham Parker, Elvis Costello, and Nick Lowe/Rockpile as Pub Rock, and they weren't completely overlooked.

Agree! But they where after punk, so it was then called New wave...

The tabloids of course loved to frighten the grown ups with tales of stuff like safety pins in chins

slightly off topic but relevant...

It is possible to buy Ramones t-shirts from Asda’s own-brand now, which amuses me greatly. I’m prepared to bet about 80% of people wearing them these days would struggle to name a single song or album title.

I have the same issue with dolts in Vans or Thrasher T-Shirts who have never owned and ridden a proper skateboard.

Wannabe culture.

in skateboard terms, those folk who wear branded T-Shirts to associate themselves with a particular band or brand are 'Victims.' = 'Victim-Wear'

A play on the skate brand 'Vision' that had a popular T-Shirt with 'Vision Street Wear' emblazoned upon it.

(I wear Vans and Thrasher T-shirts... woe betide anyone who challenges my credentials :cool:)

advertisement

Back