advertisement

Dune 2020

passed me by - tried read book, hated it tried to watch the film (twice) fell asleep both times.

Yup, pretty keen and have been watching the YouTube clips and discussions with interest. I love the Lynch film only reading the book after missing it when I was younger. Surprisingly I can enjoy both now but confess I have given up on later books as they weakened significantly, I ground out Dune Messiah but gave up on Children of Dune. I might retry as audio books as that is my preferred reading method currently.

I'll admit I have tried to watch the dune movie like 10 times and either turned it off or fell asleep. I am sure its amazing.

David Lynch doesn’t like to talk about it - one of the few times in his career he lost artistic control.

I’m up for the new version in principle but I have to say the trailer left me cold.

This looks interesting. A fan of the book (but a long time since I last read it). I managed to plough through six of them, but understand there may be more! The first is epic of course, the second and third not so much, yet still managed to capture the essence and scale of the first, imo. I think Herbert felt he still had something to say with those. The next batch came across as filler without substance, from what I can recall.

Just looked at a trailer on utube - 25.5 million views since 9th of this month! I just hope Villeneuve has done a better job of this than BR-49, especially wrt pacing and dialogue. If nothing else it'll be a spectacle.

John

Similar in scope to Dune, I’m just re-reading Brian Aldiss’ Helliconia books.

I think these would make a great TV series.

Kind of looking forward to the Foundation series, but have a really bad feeling about it. The whole trilogy is basically two men talking in a room.

Stephen

I like the original film, seen it maybe 6 times? There are bits in it that make me piss, like when Sting turns up... but then there are moments of excellence.

Stone cold classic... (I have the c.d. single of this. Pleasing remixes.)

It's only the first Frank Herbert 'Dune' book that is in any way, worth a go at all / forget teh rest.
And if anyone is going to make a go of that - after the manner of his Arrival, and Bladerunner 2049 - it's Denis Villeneuve,

I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will IMDB reviews.

Trouble is Villeneuve has made far more interesting work than much of these overblown fests---check out Incendies for something real.

My matey is one of the Art Directors.....Dave Doran.....he's a bin lid as we say over here.....worked on Hellboy II, Bladerunner 2049 and Dune. He says it's a goodun and thats enough for me. I'll try and time a trip to Berlin to see it in an Imax I think.

Between the Lynch one and this one there was an attempt at "Dune" done for SciFi Channel TV back in 2000.

Maybe third time's the charm...

I really liked the first movie. I think it stands up with some of the best out there, ever.

The biggest problem it had was audiences didn't understand it. With all the new tech. sequences like the folding time depiction should be stunning. Let's hope they don't mess with the basic story too much. It has a lot to say/explain and there really is no place for bogging it down in Hollywood mush.

Lynch’s Dune is one of the best Sci-fi films I’ve ever seen and Im hoping this remake (with better special effects? and a bigger budget) will do it justice. The original BBC Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy while made on a shoe string, was brilliant and the film version every bit as good at telling the story in a more expansive way. I’m hoping this is going to be the situation here.

I'm a great fan of the original book and really looking forward to the new film. Lynch's attempt wasn't bad, but it's always going to be a difficult job to capture the story over the course of a film.

advertisement

Back