advertisement

The LS50 is dead ...

I quite the look of the LS50's and am considering them to go into my bedroom system. That's got a reasonably powerful amp (Primare i22) so the lack of sensitivity isn't a concern. I might just take a punt on a 2nd hand set as I can't imagine I'd lose much if I decided to sell them on.

I‘d wager a heresy by saying that the shortcomings might be easily EQ‘d as the they are mostly due to non-optimal crossover design. A prolific German speaker DIYer has even designed a corrected crossover at one point (proving the point with measurements).

I was disappointed in the system I wanted to use them in, I swapped out Rega RS1 for them, they were much reduced in price as our local 7oaks closed down. Was SBT >> Rega Brio-R (replaced by a UQ1 then a UQ2). The RS1 just worked so much better in the Kitchen Diner room.

The LS50 worked much better in the main room when I tried them out of interest on Target R2 stands in plenty of space, big amps mind - MF, Meridian and Naim and a REL Sub.

Moved them into the AV system and added more for a proper 5.1 with multiple REL Subs where they were great for movies and Sky. All sold on now, did consider them for my home office system as I have plenty of grunt in there now but I wasn’t that taken with them so decided against it. You’ll generally get them used £550-600 and shift them on at no loss, not sure the new ones will drop the used values as they are now £1K new up £200.

Great links. Thanks!!
I have heard the original LS50 with both a notch at 2.5KHz and the LF crossed to very high quality bass extenders. They sounded superb.
However, from what I have heard, KEF have chosen to fix resonances and not necessarily the frequency response per se in the new version.

With my own LS50s and bass extenders I tried all sort of EQ in software, but didn't get satisfactory results.

I think the KEF approach to fixing the LS50 is likely to be better than the DIY'ers approach. But who really knows?

Mr Marley,
the approach of the man going by the moniker of „Ton-Feile“ was to properly EQ the mid/bass driver.
The relevant schematic can be found here:
https://translate.googleusercontent...w.html&usg=ALkJrhjWDQFMuaXW-PS_8f8DvUagT397Fg

Edit: the schematic is not zoomable with the google translator; please find the image here:

kef_ls50_fqw_pimp.jpg

Didn't Ton Feile say the frequency response was simulated?

I recall what happened to the sound of my Proac Ref 2.5 clones when I added a complicated XO with finely tuned "traps" which provided lovely measurements.

You are right, but he also evaluated the changes by measuring and listening; also, others implemented the changes and their verdicts were quite similar: the general character of the speaker did not change, but a perceived better treble and more details were reported.
There is a thread about this on the German Hifi-Forum:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-104-26095.html

I have nicked a measurement of his version:

Photo-2020-09-25-19-45.png

I recall what happened to the sound of my Proac Ref 2.5 clones when I added a complicated XO with finely tuned "traps" which provided lovely measurements.

I've heard you mention this before in the past, and now I've built speakers with extremely simple to relatively complicated crossovers, I'd argue that it was the measurements that were misleading, and not the amount of components in the crossover that were causing the problem.

You are right, but he also evaluated the changes by measuring and listening; also, others implemented the changes and their verdicts were quite similar: the general character of the speaker did not change, but a perceived better treble and more details were reported.
There is a thread about this on the German Hifi-Forum:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-104-26095.html

I have nicked a measurement of his version:

Photo-2020-09-25-19-45.png

That looks a hell of a lot better, so not at all surprised if people subjectively prefer the sound of them.

I quite the look of the LS50's and am considering them to go into my bedroom system. That's got a reasonably powerful amp (Primare i22) so the lack of sensitivity isn't a concern. I might just take a punt on a 2nd hand set as I can't imagine I'd lose much if I decided to sell them on.

They're kinda big for a bedroom system.

Guttenberg is a salesman. seems old habits die hard. I wonder if he has any deals going with manufacturers.
I’m sure most reviewers may have this and do this. But it is also about the manufacturers. I remember Stereophile’s relentless promotion of MF products. I’m sure he only promotes stuff that he likes though. He loves the Yammy 202 amp at £120. I think he has a genuine approach and will likely take advantage if a product he loves encourages a manufacturer to reward him for his promotion. The Manufacturer is a much involved as he is. He’s got to make a living hasn’t he? It’s up to you to decide whether his reviews are valid. That’s what really matters.I’ve tried many of his promoted products and they are at least valid. Same for many reviewers, though WHF is somewhat variable.

I've heard you mention this before in the past, and now I've built speakers with extremely simple to relatively complicated crossovers, I'd argue that it was the measurements that were misleading, and not the amount of components in the crossover that were causing the problem.

I wasn't saying that the number of crossover parts was the problem. I was saying that narrow notch filters can be problematic. This is because drive unit parameters have quite wide tolerances and they change a lot with temperature and voice coil position/excursion.

Do speaker FR plots take into account phase shifts between drivers, or do you measure with a tone sweep? My experience suggests that complex crossovers are more likely to screw up the phase relationships between different parts of the signal. This probably isn’t audible in the basic frequency response, but tends to manifest as a reduction in realism, or credibility - the recreation of a live-feeling event.

advertisement

Back