advertisement

Moving magnet only phono stage up to £500

lambo

pfm Member
Hi guys
Having sold my almost klimax lp12 (akurate Radikal)due to COVID I have recently been able to afford a very nice rega planar3 with a reson mica cartridge
I can’t see myself being able to upgtade much more at the moment so I would like to get a good mm only phono stage to replace the project mm box that came with it up to £500 used or new
What are your experienced thoughts on this
Many thanks
Tony

Some of the cheap Project phono stages have been pretty reasonable, so try before you buy is my advise.
Does your amp have optional phono cards available that should also be considered as options?

Hi chefren
Good advice thanks
I am very impressed with the little project box just wondering if it is worth moving up to something better
Cheers
Tony

At some point I used a Rega Exact in a P5 and upgraded my phono stage from a mk 1 Project Phonobox SE to a Black Cube SE and this was a nice upgrade. Not day and night but I was happy with the upgrade.

EDIT: after this I switched to LOMC so I can't really offer any further advise on MM stages.

Heed Questar MM is an option, can be upgraded with adding a Heed Q PSU later on.
I’ve been pleased with mine for many years.

This thread might be more usefully in the classifieds - WTD????

Second vote for the Croft - I use one fed by a head amp. Also for the Arkless, although I have only used the MC version, to be honest, but strongly suspect similar performance for MM.

You should be able to buy a Rega Aria for around £500. Not MM only but it gives you the option of using a MC in the future if you want?

How are you adjusting to the Rega? My guess is that you're actually really enjoying it?!

I have used moving coils for the past 35years
2x Asaka 2xkarma 2xtroika 1x dynavector xx2 mk2 2x Krystal 1x kandid
Loved what they did but being practical now work is limited due to COVID and so are funds so I just wanted a cartridge I can afford to run which I have now and wanted as good a mm phono stage for my budget of less than £500
Your variety of options are great and opened the door to ones I had not thought of
Cheers
Tony
Ps yes the rega is really great fun !!

At £500 I think the NJC phono is a great buy, adjustable capacitance and gain, absolutely quiet, small, runs cool, first class customer service and comms. I have other higher end stages but happy to listen through this little unit.

I've not had the Mica but have had a couple of 1042s, which I assume are similar. I reckon a Graham Slee stage might be nice. I had a Jazz Club, which is basically a frilly version of the Era Gold, and it had a slightly warm, fluid sound I think might suit the 1042/Mica well. And the service provided by Graham Slee is outstanding. Very impressed with them.

One of the Musical Fidelity XLPs? if you can find one I have the v3 and very happy with it. I only use the MM side

advertisement

Back