advertisement

Found a December 1981 copy of Popular Hi-Fi :-)

Well remember the monthly trip to get the hifi bible HFA in WH Smiths as a school kid. By 14 I had a decent rig RD80/A75/HB2, for my 18th and for getting into Uni I was taken to a dealer in Leeds to get the holy grail, an LP12. I listened to LP12/Nait/Kans, the dealer was an arrogant arse and it sounded horrible. Off to another dealer to carry out plan B - Meridian Pro CD, perfect sound forever, it was awful, same dealer suggested we hear a PT/Magnum/ProAc system, sounded ace, couldn’t afford the lot but traded the RD80 for the PT then and there, later on went back to hear Magnum vs 8000A, traded the A75 for the Magnum. Few years later got the ProAc Studio.

Funny, I used to have Magnum amps with ProAc speakers - a great combination

Funny, I used to have Magnum amps with ProAc speakers - a great combination
Still have the PT and Magnum. Traded the ProAcs but recently got some updated Studio 115. Almost finished getting the PT back up to speed, will be interesting putting more or less the same system back together, even have an OC5 cart that was on the PT at one point as well as the Target R2 stands in storage.

I had the Systemdek for 18 years then won a Logic/Datum arm in a competition. Sold the Systemdek/774 for 200 quid. Hindsight was a bad move but the Logic was nice enough and proved reliable enough to sell a long time later and still looked like new. I say sold but a 'mate' bought it, never saw him or the money again,lol. Replaced by a very tired Xerxes which when fettled left me very content for a long time with a variety of different arms. Have serviced, set -up rather a lot of LP 12s in various guises, built quite a few and sold quite a few. Only one I would like to have kept was one with Arthur's Vector kit/Zeta arm. Unfortunately a spell of unemployment meant something had to go and didn't fancy shipping the Oracle/Kuzma, so kept it and sold the aforesaid.
Had a couple of Systemdeks in for restoration and they still surprise me how good they actually are (stupid Nextel finish aside). O.I.M.O. far wider soundstage than the Linn, far better bass and a lot more 'body' to the sound. Always thought they were far more 'musical' than hi-fi sounding.
A few d.i.y. Lencos with heavy plinths and PTPs have surprised me greatly. Sold a couple and gifted a couple to friends. Must get around to building a few more from all the bits in the garage... one of those days:)

PT/Magnum/ProAc system, sounded ace,

Guess this was early nineties or so, as I think Celef changed to ProAc latish eighties (???) I had John Michell's Response 3 in '95 just before I bought an early Orbe. This was the speaker he used when developing the Orbe. Have long been a fan of ProAc speakers (originally developed and demonstrated with A.R.C. valved amplification).

J.M. made machined parts for Stuart Tyler/ProAc, who was then in Borehamwood as well.

I do somewhere still have the polaroid the photographer gave me, but fear my copy of the magazine was stolen by an ex who wanted a reminder.
As for the system, the Beard pre/power is still at a friends house, if he lived closer I'd go round to take a picture for you, but nah, 230 miles is a bit too far to go.

I have a feeling I have that mag.... somewhere...

I can remember further back when the magazine letters section, or system building section or the system choice section always had the same answer. ... It was Pioneer PL12D, and A400 amplifier. Later it was the NAD 3020 amplifier. At least then, cables were never spoken of.
QED 79 strand, always QED 79 strand.

(originally developed and demonstrated with A.R.C. valved amplification).

Audio Research Corporation, or another A.R.C.? Those initials seem to have been shared by several audio companies in several countries.

Audio Research Corporation, or another A.R.C.? Those initials seem to have been shared by several audio companies in several countries.

Yup! Audio Research Corp. Not seen any others by that name. Acoustic Research didn't have the 'C' appendage.

Then there was ARC loudspeakers... and ARCam ok pushing it with the last one.. it does stand for Amplification and Recording Cambridge though.

I'd love to see it if you have - I think I was wearing a darkish check shirt, with dark hair that so needed a cut. I'd pay money for a copy of the article too....!

I'm afraid I have maybe 3-400 hi fi mags and in completely random order, stashed in all sorts of places and many of them at the bottom of piles of stuff... it would be a major exercise to search them all! I just seem to recall a "readers systems" article, indeed where they visit a reader and interview them plus pics etc, and there being a big Beard pre and power in use... so it seems a good chance it's the one...

I'm afraid I have maybe 3-400 hi fi mags and in completely random order, stashed in all sorts of places and many of them at the bottom of piles of stuff... it would be a major exercise to search them all! I just seem to recall a "readers systems" article, indeed where they visit a reader and interview them plus pics etc, and there being a big Beard pre and power in use... so it seems a good chance it's the one...
Hey, these are lockdown times, you can't have anything more important than sifting through a pile of magazines for some odd bloke at the end of the internet surely...!

Last edited:
I can remember further back when the magazine letters section, or system building section or the system choice section always had the same answer. ... It was Pioneer PL12D, and A400 amplifier. Later it was the NAD 3020 amplifier. At least then, cables were never spoken of.

I remember cables talked about around 1979/1980 qed79strand was the go to.

I remember cables talked about around 1979/1980 qed79strand was the go to.
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/sr/laptops/g-series
Yep I was using bell wire my old man got from the pit 1979. Swapped for QED 79 on the back of their articles, it did make a difference but bell wire was a single piece of really thin old wire and ran a good few feet. Guess that’s why I bought into the DD and tone controls/filters are Satan's spawn mantra. Different days now even my DAP has EQ.

advertisement

Back