advertisement

Metamaterial Absorption Technology - KEFs new material

I just wish someone would stick some of this wizzy moden technology into a mid sized two way sealed box speaker

Its just for the coax tweeter back radiation, it doesnt do low frequency. No idea what they use for that

I had misunderstood the material originally, I thought it was some kind of fancy absorption, but I was evidently wrong, It seems to be some magic “about the size of a hockey puck” fixed to the back of the drive unit to absorb sound above 600Hz coming from the back of the tweeter. But there seem to be many other changes too, so who knows what the meta stuff contributes.
That is answered in the new KEF white paper posted above. It replaces the stuffing in the tweeter chamber with a relatively expensive set of tuned absorbers plus some stuffing. Note the absence of a comparison between the old cheap lump of stuffing which will almost certainly have worked fine and the new absorber which also works fine but is more complex and expensive. The tweeter in a coaxial driver is significantly constrained by size in the radial directions but less so the axial. The reduction in size in the axial direction is of little benefit but would be of great benefit for the midwoofer of an on wall speaker for example. Here's hoping this largely irrelevant application (outside marketing) is followed by one where the advantages of the approach are used to benefit the overall performance of a speaker.

The midwoofer driver in the original LS50 was a mild reworking of the midrange driver in the R series. Looks like the LS50 may have been enough of a success for a more complete midwoofer design for the second generation (although I haven't seen details of the new R series midrange - anyone?).

I do like this form of marketing looking at some of the details of the engineering. It is unlikely to be effective for subjective audiophiles but it is an option for companies that actually produce well engineered speakers like KEF, Harman, Neumann, Genelec,... Let's hope it grows and reduces the effectiveness and amount of the audiophile nonsense peddled by many home audio companies in their marketing.

Apparently this sorts the metallic colouration that spoiled the original LS50.
The LS50 Meta could/should be very, very good indeed!

As an aside, it makes a mockery of John Atkinson's comments about the LS50 being one of the best speakers he has heard for reproducing female vocals, Seems like he likes a bit of 2.5KHz resonance as seasoning :D

Hmmm. These new LS50 Metas are very tempting. Maybe when I've got my job situation sorted out I'll have to think about trading in my LS50s.

Has anyone actually heard them yet?

Marketing is already working. They could easily sell the same speaker all over again.;)
I wonder when people will realise that small bookshelves are useless for reproducing music.

Apparently this sorts the metallic colouration that spoiled the original LS50.

Very intriguing, although I don't think the metallic colouration you and others heard was the biggest issue for me. But an LS50 capable of reproducing a trumpet would be a fine thing indeed.

This issue really puzzled me, and nothing in the measurements explains why they can't convey any reach or attack to Freddie Hubbard.

This issue really puzzled me, and nothing in the measurements explains why they can't convey any reach or attack to Freddie Hubbard.

Resonances can be subtractive and well as additive. I don't think it shows up (readily) in the frequency response.
Hopefuly I will get to hear some soonish.

This video is quite revealing. I wish metamaterial wall hanging panels or tiles would become available. I use small foam based materials and they really improved upper frequency detail and imaging, even with CAMRA room correction applied.

Maybe something like this with fabric or paintable coverings for domestic acceptance.

In this day and age with 3D printing no longer costing an arm and a leg this kind of "tech" ought to surface in more midrange products. The Stealth is crazy expensive but I don't see why this could not trickle down. Closed back headphones makes sense.

advertisement

Back