advertisement

Do most of you trust your hearing?

Your own ears and the way your brain processes the aural information is all any of us have as individuals.

Logic dictates [I would think] that if someone else can hear something you might have missed from replay, then it is not relevant to you. At best it might simply be an indication that the person who heard something you missed simply has better hearing.

This does not worry me. Just the same as I know there are more intelligent or athletic people who do things in their field far better than I could. Worrying about what you cannot do so well as someone else is not in my view really rational. Worrying about things that are impossible to fix is wasted energy. [Of course one may help one's own hearing by syringing or other medically prescribed interventions].

Mind you I don't always trust the self-proclaimed assertion that someone has golden ears! I have come across examples where something was said about a certain recording on a certain replay system that rather underlined the case. Once I had a complaint about Dinu Lipati on a big Naim outfit and the golden eared one claimed that the piano was smeared and not articulate sometimes - a true observation if the words used in description would hardly have been my choice. I simply pointed out that the notes not dying away promptly is what happens when the player uses the sustain pedal!

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Yes, but only after a month of listening to a new component followed by reversion to the previous reference. Sometimes a short comparative demo in a highly revealing system can be informative too.

I find the limiting factor is not my hearing but the ability to arrange an extended demo of 2 components on the same level.

We should always trust our own ears and not those of another...

....I find the psychological aspects of forum hifi nerd behaviour more interesting than the actual equipment. The music trumps it all however.

Very true.

"Inky blackness", "Veils were lifted", etc....large pinch of salt.

No, my ears aren't measuring devices. Backed up with a blind test they're as discerning as the next person's. No more, no less.

Trust my hearing to do what? Have a frequency response like a good audio amp? No, because I’m not 20 anymore. Be consistent? No, because if I do the aeroplane pressure trick everything sounds totally different. Until my ears have burned in again, of course.

Where do I start?

Welcome to the fold doc :D

I'd say start with the latest album (No-one cares about your creative hub so get your f*****g hedge cut) from a couple of years ago, but really anywhere as if you end up liking them then there is 35 years of occasionally sporadic output to get through.

To hear this line you could start with https://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/four-lads-who-shook-the-wirral-1998/keeping-chevrons/ though despite the choice quote (which almost every track has at least one of) it's not one of my favourites.

Edit: 'on commentary' apparently. I have reprimanded myself accordingly.

I haven't got golden ears by any means, but they are the only ears that I have, so I go by what sounds good to me. Regarding reviews, I can't remember the last time I bought a hi-fi magazine, though I will admit to a cupboard full of them, acquired before I beat the habit. WRT what you read on internet forums, take most of that with a pinch of salt.

I trust my ears, but not my brain, especially not the right-hand side, that's full of all sorts of nonsense.

My parents are both fairly deaf, in my fathers case shooting in the army has a lot to blame.
My ears measure very well for my age, but cannot handle live music volume at all

advertisement

Back