advertisement

Calling Reel-2-Reel Tape experts - TEAC A3440 15ips speed problems

Getting set to do some test recordings this weekend on some NOS Maxell UD 35-90 tape I have. It's been ages since I recorded anything to tape. Does anyone know what are the optimum recording VU levels for this type of tape? My TEAC's VU meters go up to +5dB. I can't remember is the general rule of thumb not to let peak levels exceed +3dB, or is it not to let average levels exceed 0dB?

for UD i'd say +3 peaks as a starting point, you should try and go up to +5 to try and hear for distortion and then back off a couple of db's from that. It also depends on the dynamic range of what you're recording - you need to accomodate for the loudest passage.

for UD i'd say +3 peaks as a starting point, you should try and go up to +5 to try and hear for distortion and then back off a couple of db's from that. It also depends on the dynamic range of what you're recording - you need to accomodate for the loudest passage.

Thanks, this gives me a starting point. I'll be recording mostly from vinyl and SACD so pretty wide dynamic range.

For heavily compressed material, would you recommend a lower average recording level?

Actually probably slightly higher. If I was recording music with lots of dynamics I might to go only 0db for the "normal" content to allow the dynamic peaks to be recorded properly. If I was recording Oasis or Radio 1 I'd be safe in the knowledge that I could record the "normal" content to +3 or +4 as the peaks wouldn't go much above that.

This is where CD/SACD platyers with peak search come in very handy!

Also be aware that high frequencies distort at lower levels than low frequencies, so you might need to be more careful with music that has alot of high freqnency content. That said, my Akai GX-77 can record to around 18Khz at 0db at 7.5 ips, so it shouldn't be an issue on your deck anyway.

I have a TEAC A-3300SX which isn't working because the eleven pin shorting plug is missing out of the back. I've shorted pins 1 and 11 and the transport functions but that's all. Does anyone know if any other pins need shorting to get the record/playback amps working or better still does anyone have a spare plug or even the wired remote that I can purchase?

I've just dusted off my A3340s to remix some 4 channel recording done at 15 speed. My problem is it is slightly too fast. Just enough to make me sound like a female vocalist instead of male. What the heck? Too slow I can understand but too fast? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd forgotten I'd created this thread... well, it was a decade ago! :eek:

I'm in the process of re-comissioning my A3440, - a quick test of all transport functions suggests all is well and inspection of the belt I fitted in 2010 shows it's still running nice and smooth with no slippage (I kept the original belt as a momento in a sealed plastic bag and it has now melted into a sticky goo!). The deck still has the original tape counter belt which really ought to be replaced but it looks like there's a fair bit of disassembly involved in that so I'll probably just leave it be.

This machine really is in astonishing condition for its age. From a cosmetic POV it looks brand new and the heads have very little wear. I'm ashamed I've neglected it for so long. I'm quite looking forward to trying it in my main system. Photos to follow soon. :)

I also have the accompanying 2A mixer and meter bridge but these aren't really required unless using the deck for mulitracking which, although is what the A3440 was designed for, isn't what I'll be using it for, not at the moment anyway.

It's been a LONG time since I recorded on it, but I recall that recordings made using Maxell XL1 35-180B sounded like they had a "smiley-face" EQ curve applied. Recordings made using Maxell UD 35-180 sounded flatter and more like the source input. IIRC the A3440 manual says the machine is calibrated for Maxell UD, so I suppose that explains why recordings made on UD sounded closer to the source? Or does XL1 back-coated tape have a tendency to boost bass and treble irrespective of bias setting?

I've got some LPR-90 on the way for my Revox B77 that Alan of this parish is currently servicing for me. I'm thinking of splicing together a tape of UD, XL1 and LPR-90 to see which produces the best subjective recordings on the A3440 without calibration. If the LPR-90 sounds close enough to the Maxell then I'll probably just run with that and keep hold of my small cache of NOS Maxell in case its value continues to increase. ;)

PS - I know it depends on variables such as how good the erase head is etc, but in general, how many times can you record over a tape before SQ deterioration becomes audible? E.g. can tape that's known to have only been recorded on once be recorded over with the expectation that it will essential sound like virgin tape? I'd rather not have to break the seal on a fresh UD and XL1 tape if I can get away with recording over my existing ones.

Last edited:
Pictures? OK, let's start with the business end:

50372503931_934a44618e_o.jpg

50372665047_db0b2cd3fc_o.jpg

50371802678_57a6a9713c_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'd forgotten I'd created this thread... well, it was a decade ago! :eek:

I'm in the process of re-comissioning my A3440, - a quick test of all transport functions suggests all is well and inspection of the belt I fitted in 2010 shows it's still running nice and smooth with no slippage (I kept the original belt as a momento in a sealed plastic bag and it has now melted into a sticky goo!). The deck still has the original tape counter belt which really ought to be replaced but it looks like there's a fair bit of disassembly involved in that so I'll probably just leave it be.

This machine really is in astonishing condition for its age. From a cosmetic POV it looks brand new and the heads have very little wear. I'm ashamed I've neglected it for so long. I'm quite looking forward to trying it in my main system. Photos to follow soon. :)

I also have the accompanying 2A mixer and meter bridge but these aren't really required unless using the deck for mulitracking which, although is what the A3440 was designed for, isn't what I'll be using it for, not at the moment anyway.

It's been a LONG time since I recorded on it, but I recall that recordings made using Maxell XL1 35-180B sounded like they had a "smiley-face" EQ curve applied. Recordings made using Maxell UD 35-180 sounded flatter and more like the source input. IIRC the A3440 manual says the machine is calibrated for Maxell UD, so I suppose that explains why recordings made on UD sounded closer to the source? Or does XL1 back-coated tape have a tendency to boost bass and treble irrespective of bias setting?

I've got some LPR-90 on the way for my Revox B77 that Alan of this parish is currently servicing for me. I'm thinking of splicing together a tape of UD, XL1 and LPR-90 to see which produces the best subjective recordings on the A3440 without having to adjust any settings. If the LPR-90 sounds close enough to the Maxell then I'll probably just run with that and keep hold of my small cache of NOS Maxell in case its value continues to increase. ;)

PS - I know it depends on variables such as how good the erase head is etc, but in general, how many times can you record over a tape before SQ deterioration becomes audible? E.g. can tape that's known to have only been recorded on once be recorded over with the expectation that it will essential sound like virgin tape? I'd rather not have to break the seal on a fresh UD and XL1 tape if I can get away with recording over my existing ones.

Hmm I reported exactly this happening to a TT belt just a week or two ago. Identical belt left on TT still fine and in use...

Ran some basic signal tests on the deck, with no tape, just looping my computer's soundcard output through the deck and back into the computer.

Setting the recording level knobs so that the VU meters read -10dB with a 1kHz sine and setting the output level knobs to max gives me a level difference of 0.37dB between left & right channels.

Setting the recording level knobs so that the VU meters read 0dB with a 1kHz sine and setting the output level knobs to max gives me a level difference of 0.21dB between left & right channels.

Assuming my soundcard has matched perfectly channels, which I'm unsure whether it does, this suggests the A3440's preamp circuitry is incredibly well matched.

I'll do some recording tomorrow. :)

advertisement

Back