Scammer about again

Darius Rupkus
apparently from Oldham OL4 4RH
wanting to buy Sonus Faber Olympica II £5499
Using Japanese cards again
one ending in 5630
and another 7532

How does the scammer try and work this?

Was it rejected because his card and delivery address did not match?

Buying a £5499 speaker - I would be sceptical of someone not collecting in person from Oldham.

I’m so glad I posted this
Marc Fanthorpe called Me thanking me for this post
Mr Butkus tried to take him for £6k
On Saturday
He was sceptical about the information
Although again it went through pending address confirmation
And this is where the problem lies
If the address doesn’t match then they shouldn’t really let it go any further
But hey what have they too loose
It’s not their money
And surely the cards starting in numbers that are very obviously not within the UK
And they still will process the transaction even when it doesn’t match and very apparent the post code isn’t in the country where the card is issued or registered

This stuff is horrible. I saw a pair of Spendor SP100R2 speakers for sale in Tipperary in Ireland. Adpost was the site. I was dubious but given I could go and view I proceeded in enquiring. Get a mail in response which appears fairly normal but the content immediately flags a few slight problems. Seller is located in Italy and after giving me some reassuring details of the quality of the said pair of speakers moves onn to advise he is not acccepting paypal at this time. If interested reply to him and he will give me payment and shipping details. The price quoted in the ad was £1800 but he quoted me €1800. One can see how it is easy to get trapped as it was a really great price. Of course that is often the bait.

It is a long way from Tipperary to Italy. :)

Edit: Just to add a quick review of adpost doesn't inspire confidence.

Yes it’s a travesty
But your perception of adverts on Adposts is down to an individual’s ability to see a scam or an unbelievable bargain
The latter is non existent when it comes to adverts on the internet
What I am trying to explain is the system where me the retailer is supposed to trust a 3 party clearinghouse judgement on weather they approve a transaction based on a correct card being accepted but still approving (but giving the operator of the transaction machine ) a choice based on address details corresponding to their data banks

Sorry John you are 100% right both are scams but the retailer version here is particularly difficult to deal with. It would seem fairly easy for the card company to build in address protection or at least a red light warning to the retailer. Your business unfortunately or maybe fortunately :D involves big numbers sometimes which makes this very worth pursuing.

Still struggle to understand how the delivery part works. If it is any understand the police under cover delivering to the address is that the route or is this some sort of charge back from your card scam?

What I am trying to explain is the system where me the retailer is supposed to trust a 3 party clearinghouse judgement on weather they approve a transaction based on a correct card being accepted but still approving (but giving the operator of the transaction machine ) a choice based on address details corresponding to their data banks

I thought the whole point of retailers accepting VISA/Mastercard etc. was that the responsibility for vetting the card / user / delivery address etc is with the Card Issuer? If they approve a transaction and the retailer carriages items to the address given with the card details, then surely they have to take responsibility for that? If no, then what is the point of taking such payment types? Would PayPal or Bank Transfer etc. not be more secure for the retailer?

Glad I found this thread. We just received an order for a $2300 Oberwerk binocular and tripod (plus $700 for shipping from the USA to the UK) from a Darius Rupkus in Oldham. I knew right away this was fraud as he tried 6 different credit cards before he found one that wasn't declined.

Unfortunately nobody is interested in going after these people. It's very frustrating- local police aren't interested, and credit card companies don't care because the loss is immediately taken from the merchant's bank account- including the hefty chargeback fee that goes to the credit card company.

I'm not a retailer, I thought the whole idea of credit card type payments was to make it convenient, quick, provide a loan of sorts and most importantly, for both parties, to make it safe from fraud?

It obviously isn't working and ultimately the customer/retailers pay for the fraud costs lost by the card companies. Surely something can and has to be done to tighten up the process. Or is there a gap in the market for another way?

When I got done the scammer was so confident that it wouldn't be investigated, he used his own RBS debit card to pay for shipping.

advertisement

Back