advertisement

Giant Steps at 60

Haven't heard the remaster, but I do have all the alternate takes, some of which are on this, and it's worth it just to hear those.

Gosh - just realised my copy must be nearly 50 - I bought it when I was at school... it’s got a heavy cardboard cover, guess it might have originated in the US. Still close to mint, wonder if it’s worth anything?

Gosh - just realised my copy must be nearly 50 - I bought it when I was at school... it’s got a heavy cardboard cover, guess it might have originated in the US. Still close to mint, wonder if it’s worth anything?

Heavy cover certainly implies a US copy, what colour scheme is the label? Regardless it will be a good one and better than anything one can buy today thanks to WEA deciding to preserve the master tapes via the medium of setting fire to them in a warehouse.

I have a nice red/plum black fan US mono pressing which sounds good. This latest cash in is what gives these Vinyl reissues a bad name.

Heavy cover certainly implies a US copy, what colour scheme is the label? Regardless it will be a good one and better than anything one can buy today thanks to WEA deciding to preserve the master tapes via the medium of setting fire to them in a warehouse.
I’m not at home at the moment, and I can’t remember! I’ll take a look at the weekend.

I’ve got the Heavyweight Champion on both vinyl and CD, I’d love originals or early reissues, but I can’t see it happening.

I have the 1961 Mono issue with the red & plum label with etched matrix numbers. The Mono from the Atlantic Mono Box Set and the stereo in the Heavyweight Champion CD Box Set. The 1961 sounds the best and that was pre the mastertapes going up in flames of course.

I have this saved as a favourite on Qobuz, but I’m yet to listen to if.

I have the CD of heavyweight champion - long ripped to hard drive - but I’ll take a listen to the new release over the next few days.

advertisement

Back