advertisement

Tea For The Tillerman 2

I've been listening on Qobuz with, I have to admit, a degree of trepidation. I bought the original album whilst on a music buying spree at college in 1974 (gulp!)

It could have been a complete train crash of an album, but it isn't. Put the original to the back of your mind, and take this one as a new record, just done differently but with some of the original team plus some of his new ones.

I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Looking forward to unwrapping my vinyl later this week when I have time to listen. Good to see the SQ is excellent.

Might give it a try but really can’t imagine anything improving on the original, what a gift he had at that time!

Indeed, what an amazing gift he did have at the time. He was 22 years old when the album was released, and no doubt wrote the majority of the material when he was 21. It's incredible to think that at that tender age he planted such an enduring album that still resonates to this day.

On initial listen to this I was disappointed by the mostly laid back presentation and of course Cat's voice is not what it was.

A few listens later and I'm left with a mixed bag of good and errrrr, not so good.
It's all well saying don't compare it to the original but that's pretty unlikely for such an iconic album.

Where Do The Children Play; pretty flat compared to the original with twiddly bits added. This track suffers the most from Cat's deterioted singing voice.

Hard Headed Woman; again pretty flat but gets by with its modernisation.

Wild World; The first proper rework on the album. Rejigged to fit Cat's voice and a rethink on the mood of the song, this is also the first excellent version on the album.

Sad Lisa; Closer overall to the original than previous tracks, sounds even more forlorn this time around, I liked this.

Miles From Nowhere; this was a grower, not thinking much of it at first but got better on each listen.

But I Might Die Tonight; given quite a boost, message strengthened and musically fuller and more complex, another worthy rework that's actually superior to the original with no buts.

Longer Boats; first half just no. Second half definitely saves it.

Into White; more like a remix this one, a fresh feel to it. A worthy alternative.

On The Road To Find Out; Another full rework and musical change of mood. I really enjoy this one, possibly the highlight of the album.

Father And Son; The use of his old recorded voice as the son is inspired. No complaints here. Another worthy version.

All IMHO of course, I'm certainly not in tune with previous posters but hey ho.

Amazon just pinged over a Recommendation with just this on at £4.99, probably worth a punt at that by the comments here. Thanks.

advertisement

Back