advertisement

Metal

@egodissolve still slowly working my way through the backlog of purchases (it just keeps growing), have to agree with you on Panzerfaust & Selbst though. I’ve still got to find time for a first listen of Paysage d’Hiver’s 2hr long album.

@Dave***t your video is on my to-do list.
I am slowly working my way through the Antediluvian back catalogue J! Something just clicked with these guys.

After Riley Gales death i realised i hadn't really given them a thorough listen, so downloaded their stuff and am loving it. Loved the Obituary vibes in the solo's which got me back listening to Obituaries, Cause of Death, after many years - i played that album to death when it was released.
For whatever reason i can't listen to Metal when i'm cycling indoors, especially hard efforts as it makes me feel all claustrophobic - go figure! But having been forced to take up some running recently have found that Metal works well while i do that, so i downloaded some album called ' In the constellation of the black widow', band is not bad, will have to check out their new album i suppose next month.
Also, just heard of a Scottish one man band called Hellripper, the track i heard was pretty decent so i'll check them out more thoroughly in the next few weeks.

Also, just heard of a Scottish one man band called Hellripper, the track i heard was pretty decent so i'll check them out more thoroughly in the next few weeks.

I only discovered him last year, from his Black Arts & Alchemy EP, it’s very good. I’m looking forward to the new album next month.

I am slowly working my way through the Antediluvian back catalogue J! Something just clicked with these guys.

So I see. Is there anything left to buy from them!!!

Recently my love of folk infused black metal as led me to The Devils Trade, Americana infused dark folk, but boy it’s good.

After Riley Gales death i realised i hadn't really given them a thorough listen, so downloaded their stuff and am loving it. Loved the Obituary vibes in the solo's which got me back listening to Obituaries, Cause of Death, after many years - i played that album to death when it was released.
For whatever reason i can't listen to Metal when i'm cycling indoors, especially hard efforts as it makes me feel all claustrophobic - go figure! But having been forced to take up some running recently have found that Metal works well while i do that, so i downloaded some album called ' In the constellation of the black widow', band is not bad, will have to check out their new album i suppose next month.

I read about this, 34 is too young and also a shame that I only heard of Power Trip after his death!

Obituary's Cause of Death was the first Obituary Album I heard (I loved it), apparently the art work was going to be used for Sepultura's Beneath the Remains, but Roadrunner let Obituary use it. I wish I still had my long sleeve top :)

A new Napalm album is released today I believe, looking forward to hearing that.

Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I just found out this existed: https://todhuetetuebel.bandcamp.com/album/nomen-nescio

Excellent stuff IMO. Shades of Deathspell Omega, plus violence and Rainer Landfermann. Very niche band, but I enjoyed their NADA EP a while back. Didn't know they'd released anything since, turns out there was a new album earlier this year.

I read about this, 34 is too young and also a shame that I only heard of Power Trip after his death!

Obituary's Cause of Death was the first Obituary Album I heard (I loved it), apparently the art work was going to be used for Sepultura's Beneath the Remains, but Roadrunner let Obituary use it. I wish I still had my long sleeve top :)

A new Napalm album is released today I believe, looking forward to hearing that.

Didn't Cause of Death just turn 30 within the past couple of days? New Napalm sounding good on first listen.

Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I just found out this existed: https://todhuetetuebel.bandcamp.com/album/nomen-nescio

Excellent stuff IMO. Shades of Deathspell Omega, plus violence and Rainer Landfermann. Very niche band, but I enjoyed their NADA EP a while back. Didn't know they'd released anything since, turns out there was a new album earlier this year.

Didn't Cause of Death just turn 30 within the past couple of days? New Napalm sounding good on first listen.

I've not listened to it yet, gonna wait until I get some peace and quiet, if that makes any sense.

I've been enjoying Rainer Landfermann's Mein Wort in Deiner Dunkelheit (since your post ages ago). Then I came across Pavor. Wow, that guy can play bass.

I just listened to the new Napalm Death album... Well, I'm surprised and impressed. It started off with a punch in the face (good start!) and I thought perhaps by track 2 and 3 I was in for more of the same; not a bad thing perhaps but just another Napalm album, but there were a few changes of direction/style and it all seemed to hang together (the band - or Shane? showing their/his influences I'm sure). Then came a Sonic Youth cover - brilliant, I did not expect that (I'm a big fan) and then BAMM! a Rudimentary Peni cover!!! YES! I couldn't believe it, one of my all time favourite bands, it put a massive smile on my face.

Time for a second coffee and a second listen. What are the reviews saying? screw them, they're probably wrong anyway.

Edit: turns out that the cover tracks are Limited mediabook edition and digital edition bonus tracks.

I just listened to the new Napalm Death album... Well, I'm surprised and impressed. It started off with a punch in the face (good start!) and I thought perhaps by track 2 and 3 I was in for more of the same; not a bad thing perhaps but just another Napalm album, but there were a few changes of direction/style and it all seemed to hang together (the band - or Shane? showing their/his influences I'm sure). Then came a Sonic Youth cover - brilliant, I did not expect that (I'm a big fan) and then BAMM! a Rudimentary Peni cover!!! YES! I couldn't believe it, one of my all time favourite bands, it put a massive smile on my face.

Time for a second coffee and a second listen. What are the reviews saying? screw them, they're probably wrong anyway.

Edit: turns out that the cover tracks are Limited mediabook edition and digital edition bonus tracks.

Had a listen last night, and enjoyed it. As you say, comparatively varied. When they tried some related ideas a few years ago it seemed unfocused and didn’t quite work, but with the added fury they manage nowadays, it brings things together and makes it feel more convincing. Apart from the one with the French title, not sure what’s going on there. I know Barney’s been trying to add more range for a while, but that track was a head scratcher. I suspect that Shane (mostly him I reckon, though I hope Cookie has had some input) has, consciously or otherwise, dropped the idea of trying to broaden the Napalm sound, and is just doing what he wants regardless. That has the same broadening effect, but allows things to hang together much better as you say.

Good album, looking forward to listening to it again.

On a related note, Tomb of the Mutilated (ie the landmark Cannibal Corpse album, hugely popular not least because of the song Hammer Smashed Face, which was in the Jim Carey film Ace Ventura) just turned 28. Gosh.

28! Wow, I do enjoy CC but I hardly play them and only really know the Chris Barnes albums.
I liked Ace Ventura too (it's been a while mind).

Didn't get a Napalm sesh today but I did hear one of the new Carcass tracks and I'm reserving judgement for now.

Yeah I’ve not really listened to post-Barnes CC since I encountered his replacement and found him to be a dick. He was probably just having a bad day, we all do, but ever since then, all I can think when I hear them is ‘dick’! But I did a DJ thing online earlier, and put Hammer Smashed Face on the playlist, and it was good to hear it again when it came on.

Barnes’ own recent stuff with SFU has been causing a bit of a stir, and not in a good way, among the few people I know who listen to that stuff. Don’t know if anyone’s listened to that? I’ll be diplomatic and say I’m not sure I get what he’s going for.

And yeah I’m the same on the basis of the one new Carcass track I heard. Enjoyed the new MDB track earlier though.

Yeah I’ve not really listened to post-Barnes CC since I encountered his replacement and found him to be a dick. He was probably just having a bad day, we all do, but ever since then, all I can think when I hear them is ‘dick’! But I did a DJ thing online earlier, and put Hammer Smashed Face on the playlist, and it was good to hear it again when it came on.

Barnes’ own recent stuff with SFU has been causing a bit of a stir, and not in a good way, among the few people I know who listen to that stuff. Don’t know if anyone’s listened to that? I’ll be diplomatic and say I’m not sure I get what he’s going for.

And yeah I’m the same on the basis of the one new Carcass track I heard. Enjoyed the new MDB track earlier though.

I couldn't tell you much about SFU, I listened to an AC/DC cover album they did (or maybe it was a mix of tracks) and thought it was decent groove oriented metal. I didn't realise they're still going.

Edit: just checked Wikipedia and apparently they're the fourth best-selling death metal act in the U.S.

I couldn't tell you much about SFU, I listened to an AC/DC cover album they did (or maybe it was a mix of tracks) and thought it was decent groove oriented metal. I didn't realise they're still going.

Edit: just checked Wikipedia and apparently they're the fourth best-selling death metal act in the U.S.

Yeah they're really big. I suppose a lot of people must like their music as basic as possible. Never really liked them personally.

Though having said that, wikipedia also lists their musical genre as reggaeton, so the reliability of the information may not be guaranteed :)

@egodissolve, I’m getting worried. It’s been almost two weeks since Djinn was released and you’ve not reported back here!

@Dave***t looking forward to your new album tomorrow. I’ve not preordered it so before I buy it, out of curiosity, what outlet/format makes you the most money?

@egodissolve, I’m getting worried. It’s been almost two weeks since Djinn was released and you’ve not reported back here!

@Dave***t looking forward to your new album tomorrow. I’ve not preordered it so before I buy it, out of curiosity, what outlet/format makes you the most money?

Oh thanks, that’s kind of you to ask. But it actually doesn’t make all that much difference to us - we don’t have a direct sales channel (anything of ours on bandcamp is just labels using it as a storefront, for example), and I believe the percentages work out pretty similarly for the various formats in the end. So just go with whatever you prefer. If it helps, the label seem to point people in the UK here. Hope you enjoy it.

FWIW if you’re up late tonight, there’s an online event/listening ‘party’ kind of thing on YouTube at midnight UK time tonight here.

@Dave***t as I’m running a losing battle with CD storage it’ll be the bandcamp download for me. With so many artists losing revenue streams at the moment I thought I’d ask. At least I know the first album in my Friday night playlist now!

As I’m up at 6:30am I’ll have to give the online event a miss:(

@Dave***t as I’m running a losing battle with CD storage it’ll be the bandcamp download for me. With so many artists losing revenue streams at the moment I thought I’d ask. At least I know the first album in my Friday night playlist now!

As I’m up at 6:30am I’ll have to give the online event a miss:(

Yeah I usually do the same. It can mean missing out on some interesting bits in the booklet (in this case, I’m not sure if a pdf is included. I hope so as there’s some good stuff in the notes) but the convenience is often worth it!

For some reason, no doubt screwy-algorithm-related, Endarkenment is now showing as #8 on Amazon UK's genre chart, not for extreme anything, but for Alternative Rock.

1 place above DSOTM.

It'll probably correct itself before long, but it was fun to see it there!

Sorry J, I have been busy playing it over and over and not had the chance to report in!
It's typical UADA, they always drop short of greatness at awesomeness. It's their best to date, a few odd choices in there again and needing to employ Greg Chandler to save the recording but overall I'm a happy bunny.

advertisement

Back