advertisement

Beware macOS update 10.15.6

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
This morning I updated the os on the Mac which serves my music files.

Now it refuses to read my external drives in NFTS format (I use this to stop iTunes messing around with the files).

To be honest I'd not recommend Catalina to anyone.

I'm no longer a registered developer with Apple, but I still know a number in the community and Catalina had an awful lot of problems from the earliest betas.
'Crock of shit' would be one of the more considered responses I've heard.

I'm no longer a registered developer with Apple, but I still know a number in the community and Catalina had an awful lot of problems from the earliest betas.
Can the update be undone easily?

Thanks for the link but it looks a little over-involved for me.

Fortunately my safety is formatted in exfat ... After about half an hour I've found the workaround.
Rename the safety with the exact same name as the original so that Roon does not lose all the corrections (mostly "merge albums' and 'group alternate versions").

Still very happily running Mohave here. I heard too many people describe Catalina as “Apple’s Vista” etc, but even so did try installing it at around the .2 revision. Even then it lost about 60% of my obsessively curated album cover art for no apparent reason, so I reversed out to a backup (thankfully I have a couple of 1TB SSDs and use CCC, so I just swapped the physical drive out!). I’m not going near it again unless anyone gives me damn good reason too. Mohave seems totally stable and does everything I need. I suspect I’ll retire the MacBook on it (its a maxed-out mid-2012 i7 13”).

By design the Apple O/S doesn't read NTFS for the same reason that Microsoft O/S doesn't read HFS+ and APFS - well hardly anything other than Apple O/S reads that latter. I use exFAT and thats readable by all O/S. However you can access files on both these formats over a network as NFS does the conversion for you.

I have played with Crapalina since its beta days and don't see it getting any better rather worse. I am guessing but from what I have seen so far about the integration of macOS and iOS points to a future ARM system that'll be locked out to anyone but Apple otherwise why APFS? There is a lot of marketing crap about its advantages but it also means that anyone other than Apple will be locked out. Remember Apple refusing to unlock an iPhone in a murder case. Here is one example https://www.silicon.co.uk/mobility/smartphones/apple-refusal-unlock-iphones-329579

Before any O/S upgrade you should make either a Time Machine backup or a disk clone using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy you can then quickly (with a clone) or more slowly (with Time Machine) restore back. Disks are now uber cheap e.g. 320GB HD tosh £14 delivered or a WD Green 240GB SSD £23

Cheers,

DV

Remember Apple refusing to unlock an iPhone in a murder case. Here is one example https://www.silicon.co.uk/mobility/smartphones/apple-refusal-unlock-iphones-329579

But this was/is different. Apple are actually very careful to ensure that user data held on their products in an encrypted form cannot be accessed by third parties, or themselves, without knowledge of the relevant user name/password. They do this because, if they include a back door to enable this, the resulting vulnerability will be exploited by hackers intent upon stealing potentially valuable information.

Still very happily running Mohave here. I heard too many people describe Catalina as “Apple’s Vista” etc, but even so did try installing it at around the .2 revision. Even then it lost about 60% of my obsessively curated album cover art for no apparent reason, so I reversed out to a backup (thankfully I have a couple of 1TB SSDs and use CCC, so I just swapped the physical drive out!). I’m not going near it again unless anyone gives me damn good reason too. Mohave seems totally stable and does everything I need. I suspect I’ll retire the MacBook on it (its a maxed-out mid-2012 i7 13”).

To be honest, since acting as a music server isn't particularly demanding of any Mac built in the last decade or so, there's not much reason to upgrade the OS. Golden rule, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it...'

If you do feel the compulsion to upgrade at any point, it's always best to check first if any third-party software vendor, eg. Audirvana, has a build compatible with your target OS.

To be fair I have a 2012 Mac mini music server with SSD and 8GB of RAM which I can boot from High Sierra or Catalina, either runs Audirvana without issue. In truth, without checking, I can't remember which version's currently running the show, but that perhaps is more indicative of how unimportant file-based replay has become around these parts than anything else.

No way I would let Catalina near the production Mac in the office. I did have Mojave running on that (two versions, each on its own partition) for a while, but dumped it after a few weeks of experimenting. IME High Sierra is rock solid, everything since is not.

The underlying fundamental problem I think is the self-inflicted stupidity of an annual update. That was fair enough in the early days of OS X when change and progress were rapid, but latterly it's a nonsense. Every new version of OS brings an increasing number of developer builds which are often pretty rough round the edges until very late in the day and ever-increasing UI inconsistencies/glitches/f***-ups.

The glimmer of hope is that having inflicted the flakey iOS12 on the world, they turned that around with iOS13, which 'under the bonnet,' I understand, is a lot better than its predecessor.

Let's hope they manage the same turnaround with Big Sur.

advertisement

Back