advertisement

Quad 909 and ESL63s

Colinb

pfm Member
When Margin Walker of this parish put his Quad 909 up for sale I just had to try it with my ESL 63s. I was running them with my HackerNap. So the 909 was duly substituted for the HackerNap and the HackerNap is not going back. There just seems to be a synergy between the 909 and the Quads. The only way I can describe it is that the 909 has more complete control over the ESLs which makes everything sound completely effortless and natural. Midrange seems to be more filled out and small details are more noticeable without losing bass or top end definition. Others have said that the ESLs thrive on more power and this certainly seems to be the case with the 909 delivering 140W per channel compared to my HackerNap which will be up for sale soon. Rest of the system is LP12 with Mose and stack top plate/armboard, Ortofon 2m bronze, Nima, Arkless phonostage, B4 and Avondale Arcam Alpha5+ cd.

I loved my 63s with a Quad 606II, but then I tried a Primare A30.2. There's been no going back since. I've got a 34.2 in now, and it's even better.

Tried a 909 with my Quad 63’s many years ago and synergy is a good word for the sound. It was not as transparent nor did it have the soundstage width and depth of the American amps I compared it to. But it sounded right and was significantly less expensive. It was the perfect match for 63’s. I still occasionally think about it and regret the choice not to buy it.

Very glad to hear the 909 is working so well for you. It is a really great amp but it was total overkill for my second system powering a pair of Rega RS1.

advertisement

Back