advertisement

Anyone posted off/registered their once free BBC licence payment schedule yet?

Mike Reed

pfm Member
Only have to the end of this month to send mine off with d.d. details or whatever for the now payable licence w.e.f. 1st August. Absolutely crass timing by the BBC, regardless of whether I think we old codgers (and lady codgers) should merit free licences.

The reports of the waste in the BBC and the absolutely absurd salaries paid to so many for a job most of us would be happy with for peanuts are also very annoying. However, what can the mere TV-watching mortal do? I'm not prepared to relegate my TV to the loft to save £150 odd.

Stop watching live tv and iPlayer.
Use ITV, Ch4, Ch 5 catch up services, Netflix and Amazon only and you don’t need a licence.

why not. My dad chose to, he feels happier coughing up in advance.
Not paying up front means you can leave the money in the bank and get 0.01% interest on it. My mam told me to look after the pennies, though back then it was a penny for a dump when I was out.

If you pay monthly you pay for 6 months up front, for quarterly you pay from the get go.

This is the situation normally, but this reversion to paying for a licence for old codgers allows DDs monthly to pay as you go. Next August it'll presumable start again at the new licence cost divided by 12.

Last edited:
I sorted it out for my Dad when he got the letter, he doesn`t watch much but there it is.

I doubt he`ll need one next year.

Boils my piss having to pay for the paedophile protecting organisation and government mouthpiece that is the BBC. And paying that utterly talentless waste of space Lineker over a million a year to talk about the sport of the stupid that is football is just about unbelievable.

For the same reason the Guardian could go under because Al Jazeera news is free.
Though now Google have robots writing the news so it is bound to be impartial.

My brother lives in the USA and many over there would give their right hand for a balanced service like the BBC.

US Tv is 90% shit but with the bonus of Fox news.......................

But at least they don't have to pay a licence fee.
Just a subscription for 10 different services.

Its a TV license i.e. a tax just for owning a TV set. This tax was at first for radios and then TVs and was used to set up and run the early BBC but since then things have changed significantly. However all this tax still goes to the BBC to utterly waste. Gone are the quality programs apart from the occasional mistake. My wife and I are taxed twice because we have two properties - this tax is on TVs in a property. Two TVs in one house one TV license but one TV in two properties and its two licenses.

When my Pioneer dies I'll get a large screen HD display with in-built speakers - no TV license tax on that and watch non-BBC programs employing a TV stick as I do anyways..........

Cheers,

DV

I pay it annually via DD and always moan profusely about it, as I never remember that's it about be renewed. But at just over £10 a month, it's not the end of the world.

I've never paid it and I never will, I think it's a total rip off to pay the British Broadcasting Corruption a yearly fee to own a television.

Its a TV license i.e. a tax just for owning a TV set. This tax was at first for radios and then TVs and was used to set up and run the early BBC but since then things have changed significantly. However all this tax still goes to the BBC to utterly waste. Gone are the quality programs apart from the occasional mistake. My wife and I are taxed twice because we have two properties - this tax is on TVs in a property. Two TVs in one house one TV license but one TV in two properties and its two licenses.

When my Pioneer dies I'll get a large screen HD display with in-built speakers - no TV license tax on that and watch non-BBC programs employing a TV stick as I do anyways..........

Cheers,

DV
It is not a tax for owning a TV set.
You can own a TV set and not need a licence.
As long as you do not watch live tv or BBC iPlayer you don’t need one.

advertisement

Back