advertisement

Audio aesthetics disasters : what were they thinking.

Once upon a time, I have this power amp in the same silver finish. At that time I thought it's beautiful. Now that it's gone, I think it looks quite hideous. It's big, heavy, difficult to carry and a waste of space, something which I tend to avoid these days.

A visitor who wasn't into hifi once thought it's a high-end microwave oven after seeing it sitting on the floor away from the speakers (it's not connected to the system at that time). True story.

Plinius-SA-100.jpg

Once upon a time, I have this power amp in the same silver finish. At that time I thought it's beautiful. Now that it's gone, I think it looks quite hideous. It's big, heavy, difficult to carry and a waste of space, something which I tend to avoid these days.

A visitor who wasn't into hifi once thought it's a high-end microwave oven after seeing it sitting on the floor away from the speakers (it's not connected to the system at that time). True story.

Plinius-SA-100.jpg

I don’t mind that at all. I assume it’s a big class A amp and if you want passive cooling (i.e. no noisy fans) lots of heat-sinks on the periphery is the only way to do it. Basic form dictated by function and a nice clean look. I do like class A amps, so I’ve kind of accepted they are big and covered in heat-sinks. I’d take that over fans any day.

Ewww indeed.

That cheese-gold look is even worse than the stuff on house window panes.

Looking again it I'm seeing Johnny Five after too long on the sunbed.

advertisement

Back