advertisement

Speaker brand 'house sounds'

lAmBoY

pfm Member
"and I still havent found what Im looking for" - You too?

In my current listening room 4 x 5m
Had ATC 19v2s, LOVED the midrange, excellent bass + volume, but not low enough. (to be expected).
Had Spendor a5r, LOVED the refinement, outstanding soundstage, but still not big enough for my room. They dont party like I do.

Want to try and avoid the pitfall of too much bass overpowering the room and thus my journey continues for the holy grail. I want both of what I had with ATC and Spendor, but with those lower octaves in place.

Proac D20R? I fear boomy bass only from what I have read.
Kef R7? I fear loss of refinement
B&W - not heard anything recent but never liked the dullness of the older ranges
Dynaudio - Evoke 50. I would like to hear.
Audio Physic - 2nd hand Avantis.
Neat Momentum SX5i, still on my radar.

I much prefer to buy ex demo or 2nd hand. Audio Affair has some Proacs ex demo, so may take a listen. Same with Doug Brady on the Neats.

I just dont know what 'house sound' I should be looking at. Honestly its like looking for cars or houses, its exciting at first but a royal pain in the buttocks after a while.

I have never been a sub fan, sure they work for some folks, but I want the full listening experience from a couple of boxes of drivers that were designed to work together.

Choose the full-range loudspeakers of your choice then use EQ to remove the standing waves that cause bass ‘boom’, easy.
Keith

Last edited:
Neutral, well behaved acoustically, strong well controlled bass... Revel F-208 for the win! I'm not so sure there really is a house sound... Bass has a boundary control seeing as well.

Not a million miles away but with some obvious 'zing' and excitement are larger Triangles. Definitely a 'house sound' there.

Those Revels are not like they used to be, I mean visually. Ugly stick x 10. Of course totally subjective.

@Keith, I was under the impression that EQ couldn't 'cure' room nodes, as you would effectively be limited bass output to avoid creating the original wave and subsequent return cancellation wave? Stop at source so to say, but I am absolutely no expert in this, but to me sounds like the wrong approach. I could of course be totally wrong.

Standing waves which are the cause of ‘Boomy’ bass are based on your room’s dimensions, frequencies whose wavelength is exactly twice the length, height, width of your room.
Keith

Standing waves which are the cause of ‘Boomy’ bass are based on your room’s dimensions, frequencies whose wavelength is exactly twice the length, height, width of your room.
Keith

Boomy bass can also be caused by standing waves inside a speaker. Eq can't fix that.

Totem Embers. Very little known in the Uk but have all the characteristics you describe. Got a paIr second hand for around £1.7k and will keep them for a long time. Other Totems like Sky / One may also be as good but haven’t tried them.

Last edited:
My experience of Dynaudio 1.8 Contours Mk2 floorstanders was definitely not of boomy bass.
It seems that smaller bass drivers might have an advantage if bass boom is an issue.

I have the momentum sx3i and they are great. Previously I had the motive sx3 which have a similar sound. However the momentum range have a better midrange and bass. House sound is quick, warm but can be slightly shrill on vocals but never fatiguing. What amplifier do you use?

"and I still havent found what Im looking for" - You too?

In my current listening room 4 x 5m
Had ATC 19v2s, LOVED the midrange, excellent bass + volume, but not low enough. (to be expected).
Had Spendor a5r, LOVED the refinement, outstanding soundstage, but still not big enough for my room. They dont party like I do.

Want to try and avoid the pitfall of too much bass overpowering the room and thus my journey continues for the holy grail. I want both of what I had with ATC and Spendor, but with those lower octaves in place.

Proac D20R? I fear boomy bass only from what I have read.
Kef R7? I fear loss of refinement
B&W - not heard anything recent but never liked the dullness of the older ranges
Dynaudio - Evoke 50. I would like to hear.
Audio Physic - 2nd hand Avantis.
Neat Momentum SX5i, still on my radar.

I much prefer to buy ex demo or 2nd hand. Audio Affair has some Proacs ex demo, so may take a listen. Same with Doug Brady on the Neats.

I just dont know what 'house sound' I should be looking at. Honestly its like looking for cars or houses, its exciting at first but a royal pain in the buttocks after a while.
PMC?

Boomy bass can also be caused by standing waves inside a speaker. Eq can't fix that.
No, I don't think it can. The box isn't big enough to resonate at low frequencies. It's like trying to set up a standing wave in a paddling pool (easy) then recreating it at the same wavelength in a bucket (impossible, the bucket is too small).

Speakers can generate odd honks and booming sounds, but not standing waves. Think back to school physics and v=fL, it still applies and ye cannae change the laws o' physics Cap'n, you can't fit a 50Hz wave in a box 2ft tall. Just like you can't make that note with a piccolo.

advertisement

Back