advertisement

Naim vs Exposure Amplifiers

I had/have the following Naim gears : Nait 1, NAC 42.5, 32.5, NAP 110, 160BD, 250.2, Supernait and Hicaps.
I am about to get an Exposure IV single transfo so I’m excited to hear it !
Finally got my Exposure IV and it is a IV mk2 with two transformers and unregulated.
So far, it sounds more musical than my Naim amps, softer treble and wider soundstage, specifically in the midrange notes.
It lacks the slam or transient at the very beginning of percussion notes Naim gives me but it’s an old Exposure amp and still has its original capacitors so might be due for a recap.
I am now in a hurry to have it recapped to give it a serious listen !

I had/have the following Naim gears : Nait 1, NAC 42.5, 32.5, NAP 110, 160BD, 250.2, Supernait and Hicaps.
I am about to get an Exposure IV single transfo so I’m excited to hear it !
Finally got my Exposure IV and it is a IV mk2 with two transformers and unregulated.
So far, it sounds more musical than my Naim amps, softer treble and wider soundstage, specifically in the midrange notes.
It lacks the slam or transient at the very beginning of percussion notes Naim gives me but it’s an old Exposure amp and still has its original capacitors so might be due for a recap.
I am now in a hurry to have it recapped to give it a serious listen !

Hi, like Gervais I also have Exposure IV unregulated mk2 joined at the hip to a Exposure III retro, dumpy, ancient pre amp. It uses an umbilical chord to connect and the combo is supposedly a very rare beast these days ?. I have no comparison with any Naim pre/ power but earlier this year owned Quad 909/ audio synthesis pro passion passive and the Exposure wiped the floor with it to my ears. Both were ipay buys this year with the Exposure pair ( 650 pounds ) costing 200 less ! lol . Big musical sound, lovely tonal colours, very happy Chappy.
Recommended in a heart beat.

I am afraid you will
Yup, I even preferred my xxv rc to the quad 909/ A/S combo mentioned above.
Straight out of posties hands, cold as a penguins nose and you could hear the superior
sq ( IMO ). No phono stage but at 280 pounds only whats not to like !

Update on my Exposure IV unregulated :
Just recapped my XXI preamp last week and paired it with the amp. I now have to revise my comments about the PRaT, it really doesn’t miss any even when compared to Naim. The slam of bass notes and the transients of acoustic guitar is outstanding, nothing to complain about. Snap of snare drum is convincing and drum in general carry a lot of energy so very enjoyable.
All this without sacrificing musicality so very impressive, can’t ask for more.

Both brands make great amps and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Having listened to both over the years I know which I prefer, it doesn't make me right though. My view is to choose the one that sounds best to you and accept that the other is not for you, rather than knock the other brand.

What caps did you use for replacement? I recently picked up an XV Issue 2 with original Exposure labeled caps in it but think at 30+ years old it could use replacements (I do have some background noise that should not be there I believe).

0dcOFSzz-U-6-xlUPG1S8vunw

I always found that Exposure amps were the least Flat Earth leaning during that period and had a foot well in the quality valve sound.

Three or four in fact
MF is not among, long ago I learned the hard way how unreliable...

Exactly the expected wrong answer. Very reliable when rebuilt and will piss on Naim or Exposure or Rega on sound quality. Easily the best sounding major UK brand with the exception of EAR. All the models I favour are 20+ years old and should be bought as spares or repair to be rebuilt the way they should have been made in the first place.

I wouldn't touch any of the current models with a barge pole though!

Exactly the expected wrong answer. Very reliable when rebuilt and will piss on Naim or Exposure or Rega on sound quality. Easily the best sounding major UK brand with the exception of EAR. All the models I favour are 20+ years old and should be bought as spares or repair to be rebuilt the way they should have been made in the first place.

That may be true, honestly I wasn't in the position to buy a new expensive amp decades ago, just to go re-build the god damn thing.
How would I possible know, it was before the internet, so a bit invalid reply.

I had a bad experience, these usually takes ten-fold to come back, I won't.

For some inexplicable reason (Probably JMH in retrospect) I sold a 42 /Hicap and spent an extra 500UKP on a very early MVT preamp....it was eons behind the 42 and was very cheaply constructed with 5p chassis mounted RCA sockets and a ton of 5532 opamps. I ended up giving it away.

Bought a M6 PRX a few months ago and very happy with it. Very well put together and better sound and looks wise to the old A3Cr pre/power I used years ago.

The demo model I tried was made in 2011 so reliability doesn't seem to be an issue.

You should take your rosies off some new gear is good.

That may be true, honestly I wasn't in the position to buy a new expensive amp decades ago, just to go re-build the god damn thing.
How would I possible know, it was before the internet, so a bit invalid reply.

I had a bad experience, these usually takes ten-fold to come back, I won't.

No ones making you buy one!

Any amp of 20+ years old will be past its best and in fact, due to idiotic advice from Naim, many Naim users leave them on 24/7 meaning they need the treatment after <10 years!

Something like this is ideal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I'm not fishing for work BTW as I have too much else on!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back