advertisement

Beware, RS has just introduced £5 handling charge.

SMDs are fine for most items but MLCC parts are a no-no for basic hand soldering if you want reliability.

Well, then I suppose you're simply stuck in your ways, possibly also an old fart. :)

As with so many things in life the old ways are simply superior to the modern ways, which exist purely to be more profitable and quicker... and less of the old!

As with so many things in life the old ways are simply superior to the modern ways, which exist purely to be more profitable and quicker... and less of the old!
Lots of very useful ICs are available only in QFN or similar packages. Are you saying they are all rubbish?

Lots of very useful ICs are available only in QFN or similar packages. Are you saying they are all rubbish?

Well after a few reads through I fail to see any link between what I said and your reply....

Not only do I not use such IC's, as far as possible I don't use anything which is not generic and multiple sourced and will design a discrete circuit to get around such things quite often. I will not have things I design becoming obsolete or irreparable just because some Johnny come lately IC has been made obsolete after only 5 years.

I used RS silicone rubber at work and brought a tube home when I finished work.
When I wanted a replacement, I ordered online.
Ah, not supplied from the UK now.

Price had ‘elevated’, and that’s an understatement.
Then there was delivery, from ‘the EU.’
I nearly cancelled the order...

Are you referring to capacitors or ICs?

MLCC - Multi-Layer Ceramic Capacitor (I guess it can stand for IC's although we called them MLC when we came across them)

They tend to fail due to heat stress/thermal shock. Ok if you IR reflow them or ensure there's not a thermal gradient when soldering but I've seen so many fail when they've been hand reworked.

MLCC - Multi-Layer Ceramic Capacitor (I guess it can stand for IC's although we called them MLC when we came across them)

They tend to fail due to heat stress/thermal shock. Ok if you IR reflow them or ensure there's not a thermal gradient when soldering but I've seen so many fail when they've been hand reworked.
I've never had a problem with them when using hot air.

I have never had any problems with RS and the speed of service is excellent I ordered 2 Headphone sockets and a switch last night and they arrived this morning
They did charge me the £4.95 though but not that concerned as it lets me get on with my project
I wouldnt be to happy if I did this for a living and was constantly ordering pars for customer work so I fully sympathise with the likes of Jez on this charge
I do have an account with RS but not a commercial account

Alan

Aaaagghh....it's a handling charge......thought it was a postage charge!
Made a £22 order for pickup at trade counter in Leeds...and have been charged!
(Shown as 'delivery' on the order) I've queried it on RS chat...and operator thought it unlikely to be charged a delivery, if I'm picking up.
(They're getting back to me)

Might as well have just had the order delivered.

I just placed an RS order. The stuff I wanted didn't quite get to the £30 free shipping threshold. I added one more £3 item that happened to be of stock until next week. Now they have to pay two postages. Ha!

SMD boards with pqfp microcontrollers and MLCC decoupling can be far quieter electrically than DIL. This matters for audio

I tend to use mouser where possible but have a trade acct with farnell so even 2x melf resistors come charge free.

advertisement

Back