advertisement

Openreach FTTP installation

cctaylor

pfm Member
It looks like we are going to be upgraded to FTTP in the next few months. I was wondering if anyone had experience of this? How accommodating are the Openreach engineers?

The Openreach equipment can't go where the current master socket is (in the loft with no power sockets handy).

Ideally we need the fibre run through eaves space to the study where we can get power and direct connection to the router. It isn't too difficult to get along the eaves, steep roof with a good sized crawl space behind the walls.

Hopefully if this can be done I can back feed the voice circuit to the existing phone wiring leaving it virtually as it is.

The fibre setup doesn't offer the DIY options that a wired setup does. I currently have a filtered splitter faceplate on the master socket with Cat 6 taking voice and data to the study.

When I had mine installed the engineers were not keen on having a fibre run inside the house, and wanted the modem on the inside wall right where the cable entered. But they were happy to run Cat 6 inside the house to the router. I did that bit myself in advance between the external and internal site visits. My phone circuit still uses the old copper line.

Looks like you may be an early 'forced' adopter of IP delivery. The PSTN is being phased out over the next 5 years. You'll no longer get a separate phone line but get a voice over IP service. There should be a separate socket on the premises equipment for this that will be installed.

Cheers,

DV

In the 17 years that we have had Openreach broadband we have had two one day outages and both were on a Sunday. Exchange upgrade was my guess both times. Sure we sometimes get a glitch and can't synchronise with the roadside MUX for a while but then again its either an engineer doing things in the box or some other updates. There have been very few over the years. Its amazing how solid the performance has been over twisted copper pairs.

Its those who live in the country with long and often joined copper runs that get the most outages and should really benefit from fibre once they get it.

Cheers,

DV

Looks like you may be an early 'forced' adopter of IP delivery. The PSTN is being phased out over the next 5 years. You'll no longer get a separate phone line but get a voice over IP service. There should be a separate socket on the premises equipment for this that will be installed.

Cheers,

DV

Yes DV that would seem to be the case. Our exchange has a history of being an early adopter. My mum had one of the first caller display units. Our exchange was chosen for consumer trials due to being in large area largely served by digital exchanges.

Personally I don't see much point at the moment as we get a solid 50Mbs service on copper wire.

I know plenty of people around here a few miles out in the country who can only dream of my connection speeds.

advertisement

Back